Different Perspective: Good Moves

kskboys

Reaction score
Seriously, did anyone think the team as is was going anywhere? No. We were not. We desperately needed to cut salaries and start over in several areas. The guys we cut and let walk? Good moves, every one of them.

Why? Because that's the only way we were going to get better. If you focus on the big pic, job well done. You must at times get worse before you can get better.

Soooo, is this the first step toward building something good? I have no idea. However, at least we're on the right track.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah I’m good letting everyone go that we did, but I would like to see a couple of replacements in FA. Either at ol, wr, de or lb.
I'd like to see some good draft picks w/ promise, a continuation of letting huge salaries walk next offseason, and only signing cheaper FA's or short term deals.

It's not about this upcoming season, it's about clearing out the chaffe and getting some real players in here.

Reaction score
I'm all for changing where they put their cap dollars. Too much invested in a passing game that was yielding too little. Put that money into the defense and the OL. I wouldn't have let La'el go yet, it's too hard to get just a decent OL on the starting roster much less depth. Draft or sign his replacement and then dump him.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
The moves are good in the sense that they are technically doing what I wanted them to do.

And that's tear it all down, don't worry about wasting Dak because he stink's and you're not winning with him anyways, but use the next couple years of Daks contract to build a good foundation and have that in place just in time for a new QB to take over.

When it's time to get a new QB the only current in house player you should have on a big contract is Parsons. Lamb and Diggs still have to prove it.

It's genius really. It stinks for the short term, but if this is the long term plan then I'm all for it.

kskboys

Reaction score
Which move have we made that you'd really think of as a bad move. Collins needed to go. Cooper was not the answer and was grossly overpaid. Who was released that we shouldn't have released? And no way should we have paid Gregory, von Miller, or anyone else we've been flirting w/.

Take the now out of your mind and think of how the salary cuts will affect our ability to improve the team in the future. Think of 2023, not 2022.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Seriously, did anyone think the team as is was going anywhere? No. We were not. We desperately needed to cut salaries and start over in several areas. The guys we cut and let walk? Good moves, every one of them.

Why? Because that's the only way we were going to get better. If you focus on the big pic, job well done. You must at times get worse before you can get better.

Soooo, is this the first step toward building something good? I have no idea. However, at least we're on the right track.

Yes but where is the MONEY!!!!????

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Overall no real complaints how things are going. I think they overpaid for Armstrong, in what seems like a panic move. But they know more than I do. I was thinking $4 million per year tops, he got $6.5, so not bothering me.

Collins, save $10 million in future cap space, which half can be used for the draft picks. So good move, still retain what they have to sign FA's as their price tags come down. As well if any surprise release by other teams before TC starts, they will have cap space. If not, I am ok to roll that over into 2023, it will be needed.

I was hoping maybe DLaw gone, keep Gregory, but this works out, DLaw cap hit is lower. More reliable than Gregory actually. And did not overpay Gregory or risk him not playing for some reason.

Signed Gallup to a decent deal, and dumped Cooper's contract. We knew 2 years ago one or the other was going to happen. No surprise there.
I like they are keeping Brown at WR, especially since Wilson bolted, I think we knew it was one or the other, depended $$$. Also they kept Hooker, to me this was a great signed for the cost.

Allowing Williams to go in FA is addition by subtraction. Collins gone, at least we know some OL help is coming in the draft now.
Jarwin gone, Zeurlein gone, saves cap space, as well neither really helped the team.

Plenty of time to make some good moves. Right now on paper, we seem worse, but are we? Many fans wanted to blow things up, but yet don't like it the way it is going to do so, to a degree.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'm all for changing where they put their cap dollars. Too much invested in a passing game that was yielding too little. Put that money into the defense and the OL. I wouldn't have let La'el go yet, it's too hard to get just a decent OL on the starting roster much less depth. Draft or sign his replacement and then dump him.
Lael was one of the salaries that desperately needed to be dumped. Think big pic. If one of the guys we have can't play, which we'll find out this year, then we'll have next year's draft.

Think salary dumps, think of how we're setting ourselves up for the future.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes but where is the MONEY!!!!????
I would imagine we are going to sign some 1-2 year deals or some nice FA's who contribute but at reasonable prices. The only FA I think we should've gone after was Tim Settle, who signed a 2 year 9 mil deal. That would've been a great reasonable signing.

Signing high dollar FA's is for teams who are a player or three away from super bowl contention. We were not.

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah I’m good letting everyone go that we did, but I would like to see a couple of replacements in FA. Either at ol, wr, de or lb.
agreed we have some big voids to fill now and more than what we had a month ago, I will wait and see though.

kskboys

Reaction score
Overall no real complaints how things are going. I think they overpaid for Armstrong, in what seems like a panic move. But they know more than I do. I was thinking $4 million per year tops, he got $6.5, so not bothering me.

Collins, save $10 million in future cap space, which half can be used for the draft picks. So good move, still retain what they have to sign FA's as their price tags come down. As well if any surprise release by other teams before TC starts, they will have cap space. If not, I am ok to roll that over into 2023, it will be needed.

I was hoping maybe DLaw gone, keep Gregory, but this works out, DLaw cap hit is lower. More reliable than Gregory actually. And did not overpay Gregory or risk him not playing for some reason.

Signed Gallup to a decent deal, and dumped Cooper's contract. We knew 2 years ago one or the other was going to happen. No surprise there.
I like they are keeping Brown at WR, especially since Wilson bolted, I think we knew it was one or the other, depended $$$. Also they kept Hooker, to me this was a great signed for the cost.

Allowing Williams to go in FA is addition by subtraction. Collins gone, at least we know some OL help is coming in the draft now.
Jarwin gone, Zeurlein gone, saves cap space, as well neither really helped the team.

Plenty of time to make some good moves. Right now on paper, we seem worse, but are we? Many fans wanted to blow things up, but yet don't like it the way it is going to do so, to a degree.
So far, I agree w/ pretty much everything they've done. This is what needed to be done. Now, will we follow it up w/ more smart moves? To be seen.

Creeper

Reaction score
I like what they did to free CAP space. Moving Cooper was not a bad plan. He was overpaid and frankly I do not see him as a "winner". CeeDee leading the WR corps will be a good thing. I am not saying he will be a great #1 receiver, but I think he can lead by example.

I also like what they did with Lawrence. I have my issues with him but agreeing to the new contract was a good sign.

But now that they have clear all that CAP room, what are they going to do with it? Status Quo is not good enough.

kskboys

Reaction score
I like what they did to free CAP space. Moving Cooper was not a bad plan. He was overpaid and frankly I do not see him as a "winner". CeeDee leading the WR corps will be a good thing. I am not saying he will be a great #1 receiver, but I think he can lead by example.

I also like what they did with Lawrence. I have my issues with him but agreeing to the new contract was a good sign.

But now that they have clear all that CAP room, what are they going to do with it? Status Quo is not good enough.
Wish there was a DJ Reader in FA to sign!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I don't have a huge problem with how they do things and the moves made this offseason but I do wish they would add one item to the playbook. Identify the biggest weakness from the previous year and I mean the one thing that costs you most and fix it with a top 3 free agent at that position. After that, I'm perfectly fine with the waiting on bargain free agents, dump overpaid players, and continue to draft well approach.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

I can make an educated guess. It's not as if the same two guys haven't been playing front office going on 30 years with little on-field success to show for it. :rolleyes:

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Which move have we made that you'd really think of as a bad move. Collins needed to go. Cooper was not the answer and was grossly overpaid. Who was released that we shouldn't have released? And no way should we have paid Gregory, von Miller, or anyone else we've been flirting w/.

Take the now out of your mind and think of how the salary cuts will affect our ability to improve the team in the future. Think of 2023, not 2022.

You can also think of 2022. Dallas got rid of a few progress stoppers. They don't have sexy names to fill those positions but at some point the coaching staff has to do its job and develop some players.

kskboys

Reaction score
I can make an educated guess. It's not as if the same two guys haven't been playing front office going on 30 years with little on-field success to show for it. :rolleyes:
Hey, you shut up now, we're trying to find a positive spin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!