Different Perspective: Good Moves

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Seriously, did anyone think the team as is was going anywhere? No. We were not. We desperately needed to cut salaries and start over in several areas. The guys we cut and let walk? Good moves, every one of them.

Why? Because that's the only way we were going to get better. If you focus on the big pic, job well done. You must at times get worse before you can get better.

Soooo, is this the first step toward building something good? I have no idea. However, at least we're on the right track.
Cooper was a 22 million dollar luxury that had to go. Getting Gallup at 12 million was nice. Moving on from the overpaid Collin’s was a must. All good moves. In a year we move on from the overpaid and slow zeke.

Verdict

Reaction score
I think some are reading into it what they want to. So what was their message re: Randy Gregory? "Oh please oh please stay and help our culture!"
and Cooper wanted out, he didn't want Dak throwing him the ball anymore (or more accurately "not" throwing him the ball.)
I think the Cowboys have a “blind spot” regarding defensive ends and it has existed for over 20 years. They over value the position. They insist on forcing picks at the position. They overpay for the position.

Case in point:

Greg Ellis
Ebeneezer Ekuban
Kavika Pittman
Almost Anthony
Taco
Tank

They were all over drafted (except possibly Ellis—who was only OK)

They seem to think that it matters more where the sacks come from if it is from the DE position. It’s been proven year after year.

bcavi

Reaction score
What we are discussing, is what I imagine all people would do in purgatory (I don't believe in purgatory by the way), not good enough to go to heaven, but not bad enough to go to hell. I don't see positives at all, they create this narrative. They overspend on their own, and get kudos for releasing these high priced players? They created this. I'm almost 50 years old, and this is just what it is... Stephen, Jerry, repeat...

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I can make an educated guess. It's not as if the same two guys haven't been playing front office going on 30 years with little on-field success to show for it. :rolleyes:
True, but it seems like MM and DQ might be getting their say in personnel decisions, and if so, at least the team has a chance of being built as a cohesive unit, rather than the "war daddies" and jersey sellers they've been.

zekecowboy

Reaction score
Seriously, did anyone think the team as is was going anywhere? No. We were not. We desperately needed to cut salaries and start over in several areas. The guys we cut and let walk? Good moves, every one of them.

Why? Because that's the only way we were going to get better. If you focus on the big pic, job well done. You must at times get worse before you can get better.

Soooo, is this the first step toward building something good? I have no idea. However, at least we're on the right track.

RE: You must at times get worse before you can get better. I agree, Dallas will be worse in 2022.

Havic

Reaction score
I'd like to see us address the O-line some before the draft. A lot of holes to fill.

plymkr

Reaction score
Lael was one of the salaries that desperately needed to be dumped. Think big pic. If one of the guys we have can't play, which we'll find out this year, then we'll have next year's draft.

Think salary dumps, think of how we're setting ourselves up for the future.
Yeah, I get what you're saying and I agree. After the 49ers loss I felt we blew the best team we've had in a long time. I'm not trying to turn this into a Dak thread but before the season I was a Dak homer. During the season I started seeing some things to change my mind. The 49ers game showed me we can't win with Dak in the playoffs. The press conference showed me Dak's not the leader he's made out to be. So I accepted the next 3 years will be mediocre at best, especially if the NFC east shows any improvement. So if we can purge the team of horrible contracts and get the money off the books about the same time we're done with Dak, then we are doing a good job.

I'm happy with sucking for 2-3 and get out of these overpaid underperformaning contracts and start over as opposed to being happy beating the NFC east and getting bounced in round 1 of the playoffs. So yeah I agree, we're setting ourselves up for the future. If anyone thinks we're going to win with this present team is in denial about the character and talent of our roster.

Grenic

Reaction score
Amazing some here seem to forget the last 26 years. How on earth does anyone think this FO has a clue how to build a championship team is beyond me. Same crap different year

plymkr

Reaction score
Even if you do agree with the moves so far this offseason they will most certainly screw everything up by taking a WR in the first round. It's almost a guarantee at this point.
You're right. And that's the key to our future success and has been the roadblock to our past failures. Drafting. We have to draft to build a roster from the trenches. We cannot draft for the goal of selling tickets. So more 1st rounders like Parsons and less 1st rounders like Lamb. I love Lamb but he was a luxury pick to sell tickets when we have had a need for a run stopping DT and overall trench help for years. We need to draft to build a team, not sell tickets.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
The problem I have is Jerry is a control freak and Stephen likes dumpster diving for talent. A bad combination for winning.

plymkr

Reaction score
giphy.gif
Jerry right now.
Lol, good one

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
our QB isn't winning crap. We will never have enough talent to carry his greedy butt anywhere. lamb isn't the answer, wait to he's the #1, he will all of a sudden disappear, and our baby dak will not be able to find him.
the only hope is to make the defense the dominant side of the ball because we don't have a wheelbarrow big enough to carry the baby dak

it's going to be funny hearing the excuses why we can't even win the division this year.

I don't think they are any strategy in what we're doing, it's crap that's happening. The baby dak couldn't find cooper, we couldn't afford the slacker colins and they would have liked to keep randy if he hadn't found a better team. nothing strategic in what has happened.
we will sign one guy who has never been a good veteran and in the draft, we will pick more offensive players and maybe another skinny defensive guy for the front seven and we're set for the super bowl.
the draft will be a TE, WR, or another stupid pick of an RB in the first round, a CB, then more offensive players. nothing new, a mid-round LB, and we're set for the super bowl. Super bowl for us now is the division title which we probably will not get this year. lol, the awesomeness of the Cowboys. go, team!!! to the usfl..

Last edited:

CWR

Reaction score
The problem I have is Jerry is a control freak and Stephen likes dumpster diving for talent. A bad combination for winning.

It's a problem when we need Jerry to bail us out.

plymkr

Reaction score
They won 12 games? Have people lost their collective minds with this CapBoy baloney?
You have a good point. We did win 12 games. That's an absolute fact. What doesn't give me confidence is most of those 12 wins came against NFC east teams, which are awful.
We lost to the Bucs, although we were robbed
We lost to the chiefs and cards
We lost to the Raiders, again I can argue we were robbed

In the positive side we did beat the Patriots in Foxborough. That's what a 12 win team does. We beat Minnesota without Dak, again good teams overcome adversity.

IMO the overall record was great. What I got nervous about is being beaten by playoff caliber teams and starting with the Cardinals loss we started complaining about the refs. That displayed mental weakness on our part.
So this upcoming season we'll see if we are closer to the 12 win talent we displayed this year or closer to the average talent we displayed in 2019. I don't count 2020 due to the amazing bad luck with injuries. I don't blame the FO, MM or the team for 2020. That was just a fluke year were anything that could go wrong, went wrong.

plymkr

Reaction score
our QB isn't winning crap. We will never have enough talent to carry his greedy butt anywhere. lamb isn't the answer, wait to he's the #1, he will all of a sudden disappear, and our baby dak will not be able to find him.
the only hope is to make the defense the dominant side of the ball because we don't have a wheelbarrow big enough to carry the baby dak

it's going to be funny hearing the excuses why we can't even win the division this year.
My prediction right now is Washington will win the division and we won't make the playoffs. Washington was an adequate QB away from giving us problems last season and with an average QB I feel they'll win the division. That's why I agree with the OP, if we're not going to win the division then let's purge these underperformaning overpaid players ASAP.