News: Dilfer sounds like Me

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
You don't have an idea of Jack. Ron Rivera is being considered a good coach yet he has 3 winning season out of 9....lol and many here wanted him here....lol

In Rivera’s defense, he has at least reached a Super Bowl :rolleyes:...

Reaction score
You don't have an idea of Jack. Ron Rivera is being considered a good coach yet he has 3 winning season out of 9....lol and many here wanted him here....lol
I never considered him a good coach. One great Cam Newton year doesn't make him a good coach.

Go scream to somebody else

I don't think much of Rivera. Glad he went somewhere else. That being said, he would still be an upgrade

leeblair

Reaction score
The head coach has all the power but very little control
Dilfer: Jerry needs to put on his football evaluation hat and Stephen needs to put on his football evaluation hat and say, “Okay, can Jason make that guy run the right route? Can Jason make this guy make the right call on the offensive line can? Is that under Jason’s authority or is Jason’s job to be the CEO of this program and make sure the right people are in place, the right talents being evaluated, the right coaches are coaching the right stuff, blah. blah. blah. blah. blah. blah.

And that’s their decision, but it’s not because they played bad that it’s Jason Garrett’s fault. I steal this line from Merril Hoge, I worked with him for years at ESPN, and he stole it from Chuck Noll of the Steelers:

“The head coach has all the power but very little control.”

But yet, we always want to blame him on the control part. He has power, and he’s got authority, and he’s got responsibilities, but he really doesn’t have control on game day.

You can give the players all the answers, but you can’t make him pass the test
Dilfer: I’m living this as a high school coach. We’ll give the answers to the test to our kids, but I can’t control whether he freaks out and sees a ghost in the pocket and makes a bad decision. No matter how much I train them or how much we coach them or how many resources we give them, it’s ultimately on the kid. And the accountability doesn’t always fall on the head coach.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...s-incredibly-well-respected-around-the-league
THAT IS ABSOLUTELY WRONG!!
The head coach is responsible for preparing his team mentally, fundamentally, and instilling the discipline in them that limits their chances of making a mistake.
As a head coach you make every play right there with your players, and you make every mistake with them as well.
The head coach instills a mentality with a knowledge of the scheme and philosophy that a team goes into a game with.
The head coach fails when his players fail. Why? Because every battle is won or lost in the planning stage, and if he fails to prepare his team to succeed it is his responsibility.
And the head coach must know the strengths and weaknesses of each of his players and know how to use them to maximize their strengths- limiting their chance of errors through their weaknesses.
He must know how to get to them and motivate them- because all players are not the same.
And he must understand the intangibles-the human factor- and be able to work them to his advantage.
Anyone who doesn't know these things and more has no business coaching.

Last edited:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Dilfer isn't accounting for one thing....

Players can quit on a coach.....and that's what has happened here. The message has soured...and the players have tuned him out. That's on Garrett. It's been the same message for 9-10 years. He hasn't progressed as a coach. That's on him. No more excuses...The players and fans are done w/ the phony charade. :rolleyes:

Dre11

Reaction score
I never considered him a good coach. One great Cam Newton year doesn't make him a good coach.

Go scream to somebody else

I don't think much of Rivera. Glad he went somewhere else. That being said, he would still be an upgrade

that's my point, you have no idea what you're talking about, because pretty much every talking head in the NFL thinks he is a good coach...lol thanks for proving my point

Dre11

Reaction score
Dilfer isn't accounting for one thing....

Players can quit on a coach.....and that's what has happened here. The message has soured...and the players have tuned him out. That's on Garrett. It's been the same message for 9-10 years. He hasn't progressed as a coach. That's on him. No more excuses...The players and fans are done w/ the phony charade. :rolleyes:

Nobody quit, they succumbed to the praise,

Dre11

Reaction score
I did prove my point: Rivera is not a good coach, but he's still better than Garrett.

according to folks 100× more qualified than you he is. yes you proved my point that you have no idea what you're talking about...lol

slick325

Reaction score
I get exactly what Dilfer is saying. I DEFINITELY hold the players accountable and am never letting them off the hook for poor play or execution.

However, Garrett's scared way of coaching in "big games" (willing to settle for the FG, or willing to punt inside the opponent's territory, unwilling to call trick plays or go for it or insert himself right away should he not like a call made by the OC or DC or Specials Coach, poor time managementand no real in game adjustments) is what did him in with me at least. The Minnesota game was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. A new direction is needed. I, unlike many others, believe Garrett will be a HC again and likely will learn from what held him back here but he and the whole staff have to go.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Nobody quit, they succumbed to the praise,
And thats a big part of being a head coach - keep the players grounded and hungry - hence the Parcells anointing oil thing.

That and making sure your coordinators are putting the players in position to succeed - aka scheme.

Two things that imo Garrett has failed at.

Dre11

Reaction score
And thats a big part of being a head coach - keep the players grounded and hungry - hence the Parcells anointing oil thing.

That and making sure your coordinators are putting the players in position to succeed - aka scheme.

Two things that imo Garrett has failed at.

with social media, you're not keeping your players grounded, especially when your Owner and COO is adding to the praise in interviews.

players have been on position all year to make plays where were you? we led the league in drops passes, constantly out of gaps, dropped ints, missed fumble recoveries.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
with social media, you're not keeping your players grounded, especially when your Owner and COO is adding to the praise in interviews.

players have been on position all year to make plays where were you? we led the league in drops passes, constantly out of gaps, dropped ints, missed fumble recoveries.
Bill B would disagree.

Yes going shotgun on 3rd and 1 is putting your players in position to succeed lol, not being able to come up with something besides that tired Jet Sweep for Austin was beyond a failure.
2nd and one or 2 is basically a free play but God forbid we go play-action.
The use of Pollard and Jarwin - that was just groundbreaking...

How many times on first down did we see Dak under center and hand off to Zeke...yeah no tipping your hand there.

How many times this year did we see the Cowboys come out flat and uninspired.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The head coach has all the power but very little control
Dilfer: Jerry needs to put on his football evaluation hat and Stephen needs to put on his football evaluation hat and say, “Okay, can Jason make that guy run the right route? Can Jason make this guy make the right call on the offensive line can? Is that under Jason’s authority or is Jason’s job to be the CEO of this program and make sure the right people are in place, the right talents being evaluated, the right coaches are coaching the right stuff, blah. blah. blah. blah. blah. blah.

And that’s their decision, but it’s not because they played bad that it’s Jason Garrett’s fault. I steal this line from Merril Hoge, I worked with him for years at ESPN, and he stole it from Chuck Noll of the Steelers:

“The head coach has all the power but very little control.”

But yet, we always want to blame him on the control part. He has power, and he’s got authority, and he’s got responsibilities, but he really doesn’t have control on game day.

You can give the players all the answers, but you can’t make him pass the test
Dilfer: I’m living this as a high school coach. We’ll give the answers to the test to our kids, but I can’t control whether he freaks out and sees a ghost in the pocket and makes a bad decision. No matter how much I train them or how much we coach them or how many resources we give them, it’s ultimately on the kid. And the accountability doesn’t always fall on the head coach.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...s-incredibly-well-respected-around-the-league
Everything Dilfer said is right.
But the HC is still accountable, fair or not.
He's over the other coaches and they are over the players
Just how it is

Dre11

Reaction score
Bill B would disagree.

Yes going shotgun on 3rd and 1 is putting your players in position to succeed lol, not being able to come up with something besides that tired Jet Sweep for Austin was beyond a failure.
2nd and one or 2 is basically a free play but God forbid we go play-action.
The use of Pollard and Jarwin - that was just groundbreaking...

How many times on first down did we see Dak under center and hand off to Zeke...yeah no tipping your hand there.

How many times this year did we see the Cowboys come out flat and uninspired.

You have one of the best Oline in the game, give it to you horse. if players need to be inspired they don't need a job, do you need to be inspired to goo to work? especially if you're making millions.

Dre11

Reaction score
Everything Dilfer said is right.
But the HC is still accountable, fair or not.
He's over the other coaches and they are over the players
Just how it is

I agree, I just tell it like it is. there's all kinds of unwritten rules in coaching circles. this is one. you're expected to fall on the sword, you're expected to protect the players even if it cost you

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
You have one of the best Oline in the game, give it to you horse. if players need to be inspired they don't need a job, do you need to be inspired to goo to work? especially if you're making millions.
Dont get the "Give it to your horse" as it pertains to my criticism.

As far and "inspiration" - yes players need to be grounded and hungry thats why is hard to repeat.
Its just human nature to rest on your laurels a bit when you have success.

I'm sure you saw the NO game last year, now compare that to the game vs the eagles two weeks ago - did you see the same motivation to win in those 2 games...

Dre11

Reaction score
Dont get the "Give it to your horse" as it pertains to my criticism.

As far and "inspiration" - yes players need to be grounded and hungry thats why is hard to repeat.
Its just human nature to rest on your laurels a bit when you have success.

I'm sure you saw the NO game last year, now compare that to the game vs the eagles two weeks ago - did you see the same motivation to win in those 2 games...
No you didn't see the same motivation, that's my point, it's on the players, you had the same coach vs The saints last year, the same coach vs The eagles the first game this year, the same coach vs The Rams this year, and the same coach vs The Eagles the second game this year. the same coach motivated the players vs the Saints,Eagles,Rams. did he forget how to motivate them vs the Eagles second game a week later? really?