News: Dilfer sounds like Me

Sydla

Reaction score
I mean LOL at Dilfer thinking the key to success is give Stephen and Jason more control.

I'd love to ask Dilfer whose fault it is for some of these late game foibles. For example, whose to blame for the cluster$#%$ that was the end of the Vikings game. Who made the decision to suddenly try to run Elliott when Prescott was tearing the defense apart? Who is ultimately responsible for that? Who is responsible for the ridiculously stupid excuse after the game when they argued they ran Elliott because they wanted to run clock down?

CapnB

Reaction score
Look, I'm ready for a change at HC spot just like everyone else. But some of the hate towards JG on here is just ridiculous. It reminds me of a lot of the ignorance being spread about Romo.

HungryLion

Reaction score
All this coming from the guy who started a thread earlier in the year.

“this isn’t for the weak” “if you can’t handle it, get off the ship”.

And here we are at the end of the season, and his ship is at the bottom of the ocean.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The head coach has all the power but very little control
Dilfer: Jerry needs to put on his football evaluation hat and Stephen needs to put on his football evaluation hat and say, “Okay, can Jason make that guy run the right route? Can Jason make this guy make the right call on the offensive line can? Is that under Jason’s authority or is Jason’s job to be the CEO of this program and make sure the right people are in place, the right talents being evaluated, the right coaches are coaching the right stuff, blah. blah. blah. blah. blah. blah.

And that’s their decision, but it’s not because they played bad that it’s Jason Garrett’s fault. I steal this line from Merril Hoge, I worked with him for years at ESPN, and he stole it from Chuck Noll of the Steelers:

“The head coach has all the power but very little control.”

But yet, we always want to blame him on the control part. He has power, and he’s got authority, and he’s got responsibilities, but he really doesn’t have control on game day.

You can give the players all the answers, but you can’t make him pass the test
Dilfer: I’m living this as a high school coach. We’ll give the answers to the test to our kids, but I can’t control whether he freaks out and sees a ghost in the pocket and makes a bad decision. No matter how much I train them or how much we coach them or how many resources we give them, it’s ultimately on the kid. And the accountability doesn’t always fall on the head coach.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...s-incredibly-well-respected-around-the-league

That is an insult to Dilfer.

CWR

Reaction score
You also forget Jerry empowered Moore when he first gave him the OC job. told him to come to him if he was being mettled with.

I dont believe Jerry would have been upset if Garrett meddled in those particular instances. Maybe Garrett doesn't know when to step up. Do you really think Jerry would've been upset with Garrett for calling a TO and getting Coop in the game on 4th and 8 for the season? There has to be a middle ground. Any coach that would tolerate otherwise is no coach at all. Shame on Jerry and Garrett if that is the case.

visionary

Reaction score
Dilfer: Jerry needs to put on his football evaluation hat and Stephen needs to put on his football evaluation hat and say, “Okay, can Jason make that guy run the right route? Can Jason make this guy make the right call on the offensive line can? Is that under Jason’s authority or is Jason’s job to be the CEO of this program and make sure the right people are in place, the right talents being evaluated, the right coaches are coaching the right stuff, blah. blah. blah. blah. blah. blah.

And that’s their decision, but it’s not because they played bad that it’s Jason Garrett’s fault. I steal this line from Merril Hoge, I worked with him for years at ESPN, and he stole it from Chuck Noll of the Steelers:

But yet, we always want to blame him on the control part. He has power, and he’s got authority, and he’s got responsibilities, but he really doesn’t have control on game day.

Dilfer: I’m living this as a high school coach. We’ll give the answers to the test to our kids, but I can’t control whether he freaks out and sees a ghost in the pocket and makes a bad decision. No matter how much I train them or how much we coach them or how many resources we give them, it’s ultimately on the kid. And the accountability doesn’t always fall on the head coach.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...s-incredibly-well-respected-around-the-league

most people with any self respect would be quiet once possibly the best HC in the history of the NFL has said something that directly opposes what they claim but not you, LOL

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Play, coach or observe a program with a great coach and a poor coach, and you'll realize the difference between a great coach and coaching staff and a sorry coach and coaching staff.

I have not coached on the high school, college or pro level, but I have been an assistant coach in community football. The first year my son played, the team sucked. The coaches played favoritism with the kids and put them in positions not based on ability but based on daddy money. We won one game. The next year we got a coach who met with the parents and said, "I don't play daddy ball. I put the best players at the position they're fit for. And I don't lose many games." I rolled my eyes, but then I realized what he did to back up his boast. He chose the fastest player and put him at quarterback. A lot of dads were hot because they wanted their boys to be quarterback, running back, receivers. But our new coach didn't care. He also installed a spread offense before any teams in the league were running spread offenses and made sure our boys played defense against spread offenses because he knew that was going to be the wave of the future (most of our kids were so freaking prepared going into middle and high school, it was unreal). Then he would study video of other teams. For the five years my son played with him, we won two championships, including an undefeated season, and only lost one game in any season.

Then when my son got to middle school, we had a talented team but an awful coach. We finished with a 4-6 record. The next year, we got a new coaching staff, a staff that knew where to put players and in what positions. We played some of the same teams we lost to the previous year and dusted them. We finished with a 10-0 record.

Then in high school, my son's senior year. None of the kids on our team, particularly our defense, had major SEC, ACC, PAC-10, etc. offers. Yet we shut down every team we played in our state, forced 26 interceptions, and gave up an average 10 points per game and limited the top ranked team in the State Championship that average 40 points per game to seven points. Many of the teams we played had guys go on to Power 5 programs, including Clemson, Georgia, Auburn, Alabama, etc. and we shut a lot of these guys down. What was our secret? We had EXCELLENT coaching and an excellent program. My son told me that our defense coordinator was a mastermind. He had the knowledge to examine tape and devise a game plan to takeout the opponent's best player.

Now that my son is playing college ball, he knows the difference between good coaching and bad coaching and, unfortunately, he says the coaching he received in high school is better than the coaching he receives in college.

Yes, players have to make plays. But coaches establish the program, plan and preparation for games. How did the Cowboys make the jump from Year One to Year Four to be a dominant team so fast? Talent AND coaching. Why were the Cowboys great on offense, defense and special teams during the 90s? Because Jimmy Johnson preached efficiency in all three areas. How did the Patriots build a dynasty over two decades without many superstars? COACHING. How did the Cowboys with Quincy Carter as quarterback reach the playoffs? COACHING.

Coaching is critical. If coaching isn't necessary or that important and let's change the game, let GMs and owners pick the players and let them coach themselves. It's not an either/or talent/players or coaching. It's both. But never underestimate the importance of the coaching to a winning team.

Last edited:

HungryLion

Reaction score
I also love the comparisons the OP and Dilfer make
To them coaching high school teams.

Because you expect the same level of coaching from high school coaches, as you would from professional head coaches who are being paid millions of dollars and are coaching full time.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

Don't continue coaching anyone.

People do what you inspect and not what you aspect. The only football position where win and losses are stats is the Head Coach. So the Head Coach is accountable for both wins and loses. Any Head Coach like Jason Garrett who does not accept this never was a Head Coach.

The Head Coach controls every part of the game. Everyone else follows his lead to a win or a lost.