News: Dilfer sounds like Me

Hadenough

Reaction score
The head coach has all the power but very little control
Dilfer: Jerry needs to put on his football evaluation hat and Stephen needs to put on his football evaluation hat and say, “Okay, can Jason make that guy run the right route? Can Jason make this guy make the right call on the offensive line can? Is that under Jason’s authority or is Jason’s job to be the CEO of this program and make sure the right people are in place, the right talents being evaluated, the right coaches are coaching the right stuff, blah. blah. blah. blah. blah. blah.

And that’s their decision, but it’s not because they played bad that it’s Jason Garrett’s fault. I steal this line from Merril Hoge, I worked with him for years at ESPN, and he stole it from Chuck Noll of the Steelers:

“The head coach has all the power but very little control.”

But yet, we always want to blame him on the control part. He has power, and he’s got authority, and he’s got responsibilities, but he really doesn’t have control on game day.

You can give the players all the answers, but you can’t make him pass the test
Dilfer: I’m living this as a high school coach. We’ll give the answers to the test to our kids, but I can’t control whether he freaks out and sees a ghost in the pocket and makes a bad decision. No matter how much I train them or how much we coach them or how many resources we give them, it’s ultimately on the kid. And the accountability doesn’t always fall on the head coach.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...s-incredibly-well-respected-around-the-league
This is true to a point but Garrett is ultimately responsible for the product thats on the field. He cant catch or throw the ball for these guys. He cant block or tackle or cover for these guys. But he cant teach them technique on how to do those things. The problem is Garrett doesnt scheme to take advantage of opponents weakness on either side of the ball. The team doesnt make in game adjustments and Garrett is never seen talking to other coaches reviewing what the other team is doing on the field. If the Cowboys start out crappy they stay bad until the 4th quarter when they are so far behind the other team takes its foot off their throat. They out talent the bad teams easily but its the teams on their level they cant compete with. The Cowboys are not a smart team and that comes from the coaching.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I was listening to an ex patriot player discuss getting ready for their opponent. He said every player has to study another opposing player during the week that they will be involved with. On Saturday they have a team meeting and Belichick will randomly ask players questions about their opposing player and if they dont answer correctly they dont play.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Exactly op. The key is that Garrett doesn’t have the answers or give.

Bigtommyb

Reaction score
Dilfer: Jerry needs to put on his football evaluation hat and Stephen needs to put on his football evaluation hat and say, “Okay, can Jason make that guy run the right route? Can Jason make this guy make the right call on the offensive line can? Is that under Jason’s authority or is Jason’s job to be the CEO of this program and make sure the right people are in place, the right talents being evaluated, the right coaches are coaching the right stuff, blah. blah. blah. blah. blah. blah.

And that’s their decision, but it’s not because they played bad that it’s Jason Garrett’s fault. I steal this line from Merril Hoge, I worked with him for years at ESPN, and he stole it from Chuck Noll of the Steelers:

But yet, we always want to blame him on the control part. He has power, and he’s got authority, and he’s got responsibilities, but he really doesn’t have control on game day.

Dilfer: I’m living this as a high school coach. We’ll give the answers to the test to our kids, but I can’t control whether he freaks out and sees a ghost in the pocket and makes a bad decision. No matter how much I train them or how much we coach them or how many resources we give them, it’s ultimately on the kid. And the accountability doesn’t always fall on the head coach.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...s-incredibly-well-respected-around-the-league

Adreme

Reaction score
So whos fault is it Dre? Everyone but Garrett?

The players in this context. The job of the coach is to put the players in a position to win and it is the job of the players to execute and finish the opportunities given. If there are no opportunities given, then either the team has no talent whatsoever or its a fault of coaching. For all the faults of the season, for the biggest game of the year the coaches gave the players the opportunity to win; the plays were there to be made and it was up to the players to execute; it was their job not to drop the ball, and it was their job to correctly hit passes. Garrett has coached a LOT of bad games but honestly the Eagles game I put the blame on the players because there were more than enough opportunities to win the game, but the players did not execute.

Bigtommyb

Reaction score
I agree to an extent. Yes you can't control players actions. This game is about man against man and regardless of you knowing what I'm going to do, I still get it done. However, However, However it is the coaches responsibility to bring the best out of the player and put them in the right situations to succeed. IE:Not setting them up for failure. It is also the coaches responsibility to have control over every aspect of the team. We failed on Special Teams in regards to Tavon Austin being told to fair catch, to waiting too long to get rid of Maher, to our best players not being on the field in the most important game. Too many times he has been a sleep at the wheel during the game adjustments. Ten years worth, that's why it's Garrett's fault and it's time for change. Ok Dilfer.

Brooksey

Reaction score
As far as making plays on field 100%.. after that the theory falls apart.

Do the players dictate the game plans or lack of one? Do coaches prepare the players or have them unprepared? Do the players make halftime adjustments or do the coaches? Do the players evaluate players or do the players? I could go on and on...

Mr_437

Reaction score
9 years and dude doesn't know when to call a proper timeout...let that sink in.

9 years and dude doesn't give his team a competitive advantage.

9 years and dude doesn't walk over to his rookie OC and tell "hey feed Zeke" or supply any creative run plays to help.

9 years and dude doesn't know when to cut his kicker.

I could go on, but the point is made IMHO.

Last one haha...if you need a TD, why kick a FG in the 4th Q, especially when your offense has struggled to get in the red zone all game.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
THAT IS ABSOLUTELY WRONG!!
The head coach is responsible for preparing his team mentally, fundamentally, and instilling the discipline in them that limits their chances of making a mistake.
As a head coach you make every play right there with your players, and you make every mistake with them as well.
The head coach instills a mentality with a knowledge of the scheme and philosophy that a team goes into a game with.
The head coach fails when his players fail. Why? Because every battle is won or lost in the planning stage, and if he fails to prepare his team to succeed it is his responsibility.
And the head coach must know the strengths and weaknesses of each of his players and know how to use them to maximize their strengths- limiting their chance of errors through their weaknesses.
He must know how to get to them and motivate them- because all players are not the same.
And he must understand the intangibles-the human factor- and be able to work them to his advantage.
Anyone who doesn't know these things and more has no business coaching.
:hammer:

visionary

Reaction score

meanwhile Belichick sounds like you are drunk

I’ll stick with Belichick over Dilfer

dckid

Reaction score

Sorry Dilfer is just a talking head. Jason Garrett is the problem, Jerry Jones is the problem.
Do you think Bill Belichick or Jimmy Johnson would agree with "very little control". Bill Walsh used to say you either coach it or allow it to happen. The coaching is what matters in the NFL, its almost the only thing that matters...
Can someone please tell me what Jason Garrett does? He doesn't coach offense, defense or special teams. He does not manage challenges, properly, he burns timeouts. His players don't respond to him. He doesn't make the right call going for it on 4th down, he has a terrible kicker attempt 56 yd fg's. He gets more chances than a weatherman in terms of keeping his job. When is someone going to be held accountable in Dallas?
Our storied franchise is a joke!! What have we done since January of 1996? Twenty five (25) years since we played in a Super Bowl. Super Bowl 30!!!! Where were you all in 1995? People did not have internet in their homes, this is the early days of email, dial up.
Jerry has single handedly but incrementally destroyed this franchise and this fanbase. Lowered expectations. We have people who defend Jason Garrett. In 1995 the Cowboys were on their third coach in Franchise history!
Jerry has made fans fawn over Tony Romo, a guy who has never won anything and now people fawn over how great his time as QB was.
Wake up people, talent has come and gone over the past 24/25 years, the constant has been the terrible culture that this team has. Culture eats strategy for breakfast every day of the week. Our owner who masquerades as the GM.
The truth hurts but until we accept it, you cannot move forward.

cml750

Reaction score
This is very much a facepalm worthy thread!
1331.jpg

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score

SMH

Beaker42

Reaction score
he's telling the truth, problem is you can't handle the truth....lol
you're so wrapped up in your little hate fest that you can't see and ignore everything that don't fit or feed your hate
When the people under you have not succeeded for TEN SEASONS, you gots to go.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
FIRE GARRETT he had 10 years he was a coach longer than Jimmy Johnson was......And btw Jimmy won superbowls.

Garrett won 2 playoff wins. He had long enough. Time to move on. Idk if its his fault or not lol

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Garrett has been a control one side of the ball coach and then a CEO type coach.
He's been willing to do what is asked of him but he's never done it well enough to win.

If Jerry wants to get an elite mind on either side of the ball he is going to have to offer that guy the head coaching position.

But the special teams catastrophe this year falls on the head coach.
He has the data and sees the failures.
He has to make those changes happen.
He didn't.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
And thats a big part of being a head coach - keep the players grounded and hungry - hence the Parcells anointing oil thing.

Nuke: That was great, huh?

Crash: Your fastball's up, your curveball's hangin'...in The Show they would have ripped you!

Nuke: Can't you even let me enjoy the moment?

Crash: Moment's over.

Sydla

Reaction score
So according to Dre and Trent Dilfer, in theory, you should never fire a HC. Ever.

Unless he robs a bank or something like that, I guess.