Dirty truth about NFL and their Penalties

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The penalties show sub-par coaching and a lack of discipline, not any conspiracy, you must be one of the tin foil hat crowd. There are always bad calls but they could have thrown more flags. Just bad coaching and player discipline.
Wow man, just Wow and a hardy LOL WOW

khiladi

Reaction score
Also, overall penalties is not going to give you a good indicator of whether there is a trend or not. Last year, Arizona led the league in penalties called by a large margin. In 2019, it was Tampa Bay by a large margin. 2018 it was KC and we weren’t even close to the top. 2017 we were close to bottom of the league and 2016, we were middle of the pack while Oakland was top by far.

It is only this year where we are leading the league and we are onlg two penalties above LV..

The better stats would be to look at a by-game basis to see the impact. Dallas could just be involved in games where the penalty counts are high this year, meaning the officiating crews they are playing with have a tendency to call more penalties.

no doubt there have been questionable calls by refs. The Patriots-Jaguars playoff game, the Steelers-Seattle SB. The Harrison INT against Warner, where Warner was clearly pushed in the back not allowing him to force Harrison to be caught on the half ending TO for a TD in the SB. The Dez catch and so on..

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Also, overall penalties is not going to give you a good indicator of whether there is a trend or not. That is not going to tell you anything regarding the impact as far as the games are concerned. Last year, Arizona led the league in penalties called by a large margin. In 2019, it was Tampa Bay by a large margin. 2018 it was KC and we weren’t even close to the top. 2017 we were close to bottom of the league and 2016, we were middle of the pack while Oakland was top by far.

The better stats would be to look at a by-game basis.

Dallas could just be involved in games where the penalty counts are high this year, meaning the officiating crews they are playing with have a tendency to call more penalties.
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

22 for you for the offense and defense players

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
Brown got picked on. A few were ticky tack calls a few were BS calls. There was a holding call on a big Pollard run that even Romo was saying there was nothing there. They give the other team big plays and take big plays away.

But we played like garbage and deserve to lose. If Dak does not start running with the ball we won’t make it much further than 1 and done..
It is possible to play like garbage and still win. But playing like garbage and fighting all day long against the zebras it is most likely gonna be a loss. It has to be frustrating to these players knowing that.

khiladi

Reaction score
If anything is questionable, it’s the league officially recognizing gambling as a part of the football culture and sharing in the revenue. This is “conflict of interest” if there ever was one.

But the ties to gambling in the NFL have long been recognized through families like the Rooney’s and Mara’s.

The NFL used to talk about how the ties to gambling were bad for the ‘credibility’ of the game. It’s just another ‘about face’ the league has done.

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/31/sports/31iht-gambling.1.9639442.html

Ken

Reaction score
Yeah, no.

You’re talking as if all 32 teams could equally be screwed like this.

Not so. The Dallas Cowboys are #1 in the NFL in penalty yards against. We’ve lost 2 games this year that were a direct result of GARBAGE calls. Our QB has 2 rushing TDs on QB sneaks and wasn’t given credit for either of them. We’ve lost our last 2 season openers thanks to HORRIFIC calls that went against us late.

The other 31 teams don’t have to deal with anywhere close to this level of pure garbage.
It seems to happen on the biggest moneyline game there are. I am sure this game was heavily bet on and i am sure it was heavily tilted to Dallas by most Cowboys fans. They had to steal that money.

Ken

Reaction score

Seriously. The first one was a slight grab on the turn and then he defended the pass. Well played and the WR wasn't even looking for a flag.
The second one to me was the worst one out of all of these BS PI calls. Has his head turned and DJax is holding him off with his arm fully extended the whole time. That is 100% not a penalty. Great coverage.
The third one was PI or couldve been a holding call.
The forth one was not good coverage at all. We've all seen this play a ton of times though where there was no contact made and the ball his the defender by chance and it's incomplete. That was a terrible call at the biggest point in the game.

See, i think the first is the only PI that was right. He held him and didn't let him come out of his break, PI.

2nd one NO PI whatsoever. Can't cover better than this.

3rd one, honestly, how do you reward such a crap pass with a PI? He even turned his head around to try and find the ball....egregious.

4th one- Again, poorly underthrown ball rewarded on a damn 3rd and 18 prayer. The only thing he didn't do was turn his head around but tried not to interfere with the player. Only this crew calls this BS call.

BBGTYCOON

Reaction score
It's just a way to control a game for control of money! First off NFL penalties are for egregious acts/penalties. Now think about this a coach could challenge a catch, a fumble a yardage mark, etc because a ref screwed up but they can't challenge a flag that the ref screwed up on. Why is that? It's so they could control the outcome of games for their gambling buddies. It has been this way forever. They let you think that they've given you options to get a play corrected but they'll never ever let you challenge penalties for a reason.
That's the irrefutable truth.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
This may be heresy but I didn't bother to watch the game yesterday. My wife couldn't believe it.

Heresy? The Cowboys have won 3 playoff games in 25 years and continue to be the highest draw in the NFL. How is that for heresy. Also, message boards are usually filled with degenerate die hards who watch every game, especially the Thanksgiving game or haters. There really is no in between on a message board. Unlike your wife, I believe that you didn't watch it.

BBGTYCOON

Reaction score
Ive been shouting this at the tv all year...it will be 3rd and 4 or whatever, a huge pocket opens up in front of Dak, but he tries to pass and it ends up incomplete. He could run it many times. Im not saying I want him running all the time, but he could pick up some yards and slide...even if it only gets a couple yards, it will open other things up as the defense will need to account for that.
I agree, additionally Dak has now become a capable passer but he doesn't have command of the offense yet. He should be manipulating defenses and putting his most dangerous weapons in position to create favorable matchups. That's what top tier QB's more often than not.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I’m not saying it’s right, we don’t know what the basis for the refs to call it was. The fact Romo and Nance said it was the knee doesn’t mean the refs saw if like that. They could have done it for that swipe, which makes it more justifiable, because you can’t do that. We’ve seen countless calls in the pocket where the band hits the helmet of the QB and it’s called.
Yes. You can’t swipe at his face, but if you’re reaching to strip the ball and he falls, then his head ends up where you were reaching for the ball, it’s not a penalty.

The game happens fast. They need refs that can react fast with fast moving brains. Not old guys in their 50’s & 60’s.

Last edited:

Hadenough

Reaction score
It's just a way to control a game for control of money! First off NFL penalties are for egregious acts/penalties. Now think about this a coach could challenge a catch, a fumble a yardage mark, etc because a ref screwed up but they can't challenge a flag that the ref screwed up on. Why is that? It's so they could control the outcome of games for their gambling buddies. It has been this way forever. They let you think that they've given you options to get a play corrected but they'll never ever let you challenge penalties for a reason.
The NFL doesn't want Dallas to have meaningless division games at the end of the season and the option to rest starters.

RaZon

Reaction score

Dude, for their gambling buddies? Is this guy for real?

Oh hell yes NFL refs hang with known gamblers, hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!

So the whole crew was told before the game....The Cowboys have to lose by 5.5, ok gang? And all six of them try to make that happen for those gambling buddies, hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

ESisback

Reaction score
Exactly! Of course, I don’t have to read any of the replies to know that certain “realists” will be along to scoff.

Doomsday77

Reaction score
Brown got picked on. A few were ticky tack calls a few were BS calls. There was a holding call on a big Pollard run that even Romo was saying there was nothing there. They give the other team big plays and take big plays away.

But we played like garbage and deserve to lose. If Dak does not start running with the ball we won’t make it much further than 1 and done..

And where is supposed to be running the ball? Have you seen holes that our RB's are missing? Defenses are sending the house because we can't block anyone. By the way I don't want to see him miss another game and nothing against Coop but you might as well sing 'Good night Gracie' and get ready for the Grapefruit league.

Mannix

Reaction score
My God children, all teams get bs calls. Grow up this team right now is a mess. Raiders were call for holding I think 500 times.
You need to wake up if you think the other teams are getting hosed like Dallas is....and has been for several years now.

Mannix

Reaction score
Oh no.. we lost to the second most penalized team in the NFL by 2 penalties and the only reason we eclipsed them in yards is because if Anthony Brown’s clear PIs.

I mean the very team we played yesterday would have clearly be evidence against the fact other teams don’t put up with this garbage. I guess they also didn’t get screwed when the NFL leaked private emails of their HC and essentially made him resign..

I guess the Chargers weren’t robbed against us either..
The Chargers were holding Parsons on EVERY play!!!