Disturbing bar lowering trend

Mannix

Reaction score
Less than ten (10) years ago it was talk of when we would ever win another Super Bowl...not get to another Super Bowl....now, I hear nothing other than when we'll ever reach another NFCCG....no mention of even winning the game itself. Notice a disturbing trend here involving confidence levels, and lack of any real expectations with this sorry organization? For the first time ever, I don't give two (2) S's about the upcoming draft...very sad that I'm feeling this way, but I've had enough. Anyone else having similar feelings?

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Too many people are satisfied with an occasional NFCE title and nothing more. That is ridiculous to me...

But I know, just enjoy the games and shut up. Thats what we get told if we say anything about it.

Kwyn

Reaction score
I still hear tons of talk about super bowls. It’s in every thread on the board.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Less than ten (10) years ago it was talk of when we would ever win another Super Bowl...not get to another Super Bowl....now, I hear nothing other than when we'll ever reach another NFCCG....no mention of even winning the game itself. Notice a disturbing trend here involving confidence levels, and lack of any real expectations with this sorry organization? For the first time ever, I don't give two (2) S's about the upcoming draft...very sad that I'm feeling this way, but I've had enough. Anyone else having similar feelings?
yeah like that's the bar because of recent trips to the playoffs and having "great teams", since we haven't been in 20+ seasons, I guess the bar is just to get there, if we win it really doesn't matter. These players don't train and go through the things they do to only get to a certain game!!

foofighters

Reaction score
Well, how many people expect us to get to the NFCCG? I didn't and don't. Every year it pretty much turns out the same no matter our record. I am just jaded to it anymore.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yup.

TexasBacon

Reaction score
People just want to see the team take a step forward for once after not seeing the NFCC for almost 30 years, I think that's all that is. I don't think it's the bar being lowered (at least from the fandom, it feels like the bar is pretty damn low in the locker room and has been for some time), I think we'd all be even more disappointed if they actually advanced and then lost the NFCC. Obviously it's Super Bowl or bust to most fans, but the frustrating thing about the Cowboys of late is not only that they lose these playoff games, but how they lose them by not showing up at all, Dak and Micah completely falling off at the worst time, etc. They haven't played their best and lost a tight playoff game since 2016 against the Packers, and even then they were the 1 seed and let the Packers come out and run all over them and had to play catch-up. The only playoff game it really felt like they put their best foot forward and still lost was 2014 at Lambeau.

Jayinem

Reaction score
Personally I'd be happy if we could get to a DIVISIONAL ROUND game, we haven't done that in over 1 season.

fivetwos

Reaction score
yeah like that's the bar because of recent trips to the playoffs and having "great teams", since we haven't been in 20+ seasons, I guess the bar is just to get there, if we win it really doesn't matter. These players don't train and go through the things they do to only get to a certain game!!
They don’t purposely make the roster not good enough…they think it is, but misevaluate the players they have. Over and over.

Other teams make trades and sign impact free agents to supplement and cover what’s needed. Dallas brings in mid round and UDFA rookies and asks them to contribute at a high level immediately.

It’s fine to make that clear mistake once or twice, but not only do they not see the flaw in it, it’s the actual organizational philosophy…..and doesn’t appear to be changing.

I’m not really sure how much longer these clowns are gonna be able to sell this same act.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You forgot...our regular season record and 2nd place mvp shows how awesome we are!:rolleyes:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Less than ten (10) years ago it was talk of when we would ever win another Super Bowl...not get to another Super Bowl....now, I hear nothing other than when we'll ever reach another NFCCG....no mention of even winning the game itself. Notice a disturbing trend here involving confidence levels, and lack of any real expectations with this sorry organization?
Just wait 10 more years. ,

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I mean, who really cares.

Set your bar to whatever you want it to be and let other people do the same.

Long story short: Of course the bar is being lowered. When you have never even seen an NFCCG appearance in your lifetime like myself, it would be exciting to just even see them make it there regardless of outcome and I do not think there is anything wrong with that. Same goes for the old timers who view every season as Superbowl or bust.

Something I think we all need to remember: We are not the Cowboys. We are people that follow the Cowboys. How the Cowboys perform on the field, our expectations for them, etc do not make any one of us "losers" or "winners".