Disturbing stat line for our WRs

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Yes.

The sack fumble lost with a commanding 28-12 lead halfway through the 4th quarter.
They're at the Patriots 22 yard line (easy FG range, up 8 points with a little over 3 minutes to play) and they drop back and TAKE A SACK.
Next play, they're still in outer FG range, and they drop back and COMMIT A HOLDING PENALTY.
And on the final regulation drive... an impossibly lucky/unlikely Julian Edelman catch in triple coverage.
Culminate all that with a 50/50 coin toss in OT which likely determined the winner.

ALL of that had to go exactly right for the Patriots to have a chance, and well.... it did. Once in 100,000 probability.

A sack isn't a fluke. It's a good play.

Penalty isn't a fluke play, that's lack of discipline

The catch by Edelman was not a drive ender, the Pats had plays before and after that.

You don't know what "fluke" means.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I have to agree. The Falcons "dumbed" themselves out of that Super Bowl. With a 28-3 lead midway through the third quarter there's no way the Patriots should have gotten enough possessions to catch up. Even if Atlanta runs the ball three straight plays and punt every time, they're using up clock and still win a close game if New England scores on all their possessions.

As you said, it was a fluke game.

Either it was a fluke or the other team was stupid. Which is it?

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
A sack isn't a fluke. It's a good play.

Penalty isn't a fluke play, that's lack of discipline

The catch by Edelman was not a drive ender, the Pats had plays before and after that.

You don't know what "fluke" means.

I get what you're saying and you're right. But the fact the Falcons are throwing the ball around with such a big lead is technically a fluke. There's no sack-fumbles in field goal range if Atlanta isn't so dumb and just runs the ball and kills the clock. That's Football 101.

Instead they lose yardage on sacks and give extra possessions and time to Tom Brady. Brilliant, Falcons, just brilliant.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Either it was a fluke or the other team was stupid. Which is it?

To be honest, a little bit of both. The Falcons' playcalling was terrible and there were some amazing plays by the Patriots mixed in.

I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just saying if Atlanta played smarter than the plays the other poster called "flukes" either wouldn't have happened or wouldn't have mattered.

Actually, I'm starting to confuse myself right now....

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I get what you're saying and you're right. But the fact the Falcons are throwing the ball around with such a big lead is technically a fluke. There's no sack-fumbles in field goal range if Atlanta isn't so dumb and just runs the ball and kills the clock. That's Football 101.

Instead they lose yardage on sacks and give extra possessions and time to Tom Brady. Brilliant, Falcons, just brilliant.

That's just poor second half adjustments. And it's not football 101 to many teams, many keep the foot on the throat of other teams until they have an unreachable lead - actually, the very team the Falcons lost against does just this.

These aren't fluke plays, what you saw was that you need to play an almost near perfect game against the Pats or they will take advantage of the mistakes. You don't come back from a 28-3 deficit due to flukes. We saw a young defense get schooled by the GOATs in the second half and the 2016 "MVP" lack ice in his veins late.

Smart football needs to be played, and the Patriots were the smarter team...as always.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
That's just poor second half adjustments. And it's not football 101 to many teams, many keep the foot on the throat of other teams until they have an unreachable lead - actually, the very team the Falcons lost against does just this.

These aren't fluke plays, what you saw was that you need to play an almost near perfect game against the Pats or they will take advantage of the mistakes. You don't come back from a 28-3 deficit due to flukes. We saw a young defense get schooled by the GOATs in the second half and the 2016 "MVP" lack ice in his veins late.

Smart football needs to be played, and the Patriots were the smarter team...as always.

Well said. The Patriots make you pay for even the smallest mistake. And while I was reading your post, I reminded myself the Browns fired Bill Belichick in the 1990's. That one move forever changed the course of NFL history. Just....amazing.

Johnny23

Reaction score
Essentially won it all? No, they failed because of their defense and their offense couldn't put up points in the second half despite having the "amazing" Julio Jones.
I think that had more to do with the biggest coaching choke job I have ever seen then anything else. Their coaches being idiots isn't Julio's fault. Especially when Jones made the one catch he had to make to do his part to secure the win. And they had Tevin Coleman and Freeman who were both effective in the game and they didn't take the air out of the ball and kept it in Matt Ryan's hands choke artist hands. That's coaching...

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
If Moore puts in a half back pass option Zeke might have as many TD passes as Dak next season.
Bet he don't but you keep living in the fantasy world meanwhile the rest of us will live I reality.......the one where Zeke couldn't score more rushing TDs then Dak even though he had almost 300 more carries this past season........mmm let the Dak hate flow through you and consume you

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Well said. The Patriots make you pay for even the smallest mistake. And while I was reading your post, I reminded myself the Browns fired Bill Belichick in the 1990's. That one move forever changed the course of NFL history. Just....amazing.

Jets almost had him as well as HC - press conference and everything. Kraft snatched him up. Imagine how the Jets fill having to see him twice a year...

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Bet he don't but you keep living in the fantasy world meanwhile the rest of us will live I reality.......the one where Zeke couldn't score more rushing TDs then Dak even though he had almost 300 more carries this past season........mmm let the Dak hate flow through you and consume you
Not much of a sense of humor do you have.

You seem a tad consumed yourself. The evidence is in... Every. Single. Thread.

blumayne38

Reaction score
Meanwhile 526 pass attempts..........aaaaaannnnnnnddddddd 22 TDs . also never thrown for more then 25. Yeah let that sink in. We are gonna pay dak to throw the football not run it. Thats even if we dexide to pay him at all.

stiletto

Reaction score
Considering Cooper played in only 9 games for us, I'd say we'll be alright with him....Gallup coming on.. I think this is a panic post. We could use another guy if Beasley leaves but there's only so many catches that can be had.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Meanwhile 526 pass attempts..........aaaaaannnnnnnddddddd 22 TDs . also never thrown for more then 25. Yeah let that sink in. We are gonna pay dak to throw the football not run it. Thats even if we dexide to pay him at all.
Dak is going to get a new 6 year contract around the range of $160+ million this offseason. I'm going to love watching you whine for days/weeks/months/years to come. :thumbup: