Divisional Power Ranking: NFC East

garyo1954

Reaction score
8. NFC East
I'm not sure what rock bottom is in the NFL, but the NFC East was definitely trying to find out last season. This division was so bad in 2020 that even NFC East fans were willing to admit that their favorite division was a flaming bag of garbage.

If you need a quick refresher on how bad the NFC East was last year, just consider this: Washington won the division with a losing record (7-9). Overall, the NFC East finished with a 10-29-1 non-divisional record last season, which was tied with the 2014 NFC South for the worst non-divisional record since the NFL realigned the divisions in 2002. Also, the NFC East combined to go 23-40-1 overall, which was the second-worst overall record ever for a division (The 2008 NFC West went 22-42).

Unfortunately for the NFC East, it doesn't look like things are going to get much better in 2021. The Eagles are still a mess and they have a first-year coach in place who's going to have to clean things up. The Giants should be better, but that's going to come down to whether Daniel Jones can take the next step. The Cowboys will be getting Dak Prescott back, but who knows if that will actually help. In the four games where Dak was healthy last year, the Cowboys went 1-3. As for Washington, the Football Team still has a strong defense and they upgraded at quarterback, so they could be better, but not enough to move the NFC East out of the basement.

Probably won't be the year where that happens.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...the-basement-with-rest-of-nfc-east/ar-AALSGOL

Sydla

Reaction score
I think the division is going to be better than the dumpster fire people are assuming it will be. Granted, it won't be in the same ballpark of the best divisions but I think the Giants, Cowboys and Commanders will be better than last year. The Eagles? Who the hell knows.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
There is no power involved in that ranking. The bottom of the barrel.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think the division is going to be better than the dumpster fire people are assuming it will be. Granted, it won't be in the same ballpark of the best divisions but I think the Giants, Cowboys and Commanders will be better than last year. The Eagles? Who the hell knows.

I agree.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
8. NFC East
I'm not sure what rock bottom is in the NFL, but the NFC East was definitely trying to find out last season. This division was so bad in 2020 that even NFC East fans were willing to admit that their favorite division was a flaming bag of garbage.

If you need a quick refresher on how bad the NFC East was last year, just consider this: Washington won the division with a losing record (7-9). Overall, the NFC East finished with a 10-29-1 non-divisional record last season, which was tied with the 2014 NFC South for the worst non-divisional record since the NFL realigned the divisions in 2002. Also, the NFC East combined to go 23-40-1 overall, which was the second-worst overall record ever for a division (The 2008 NFC West went 22-42).

Unfortunately for the NFC East, it doesn't look like things are going to get much better in 2021. The Eagles are still a mess and they have a first-year coach in place who's going to have to clean things up. The Giants should be better, but that's going to come down to whether Daniel Jones can take the next step. The Cowboys will be getting Dak Prescott back, but who knows if that will actually help. In the four games where Dak was healthy last year, the Cowboys went 1-3. As for Washington, the Football Team still has a strong defense and they upgraded at quarterback, so they could be better, but not enough to move the NFC East out of the basement.

Probably won't be the year where that happens.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...the-basement-with-rest-of-nfc-east/ar-AALSGOL
Thanks for posting

MarcusRock

Reaction score
... so you're telling me there's a chance ... we win a crappy division and get into the playoffs? YEAH!

giphy-downsized-large.gif

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The Cowboys will be getting Dak Prescott back, but who knows if that will actually help. In the four games where Dak was healthy last year, the Cowboys went 1-3.

The stupid. It burns. It's the archtype of ignoring context, with a "QBs determine the record" cherry on top.

The defense was an historically incompetent pile of garbage, and Zeke was busy fumbling away games. In the midst of that, Dak was producing and producing and producing, with the highest QBR of his career at 78.7, which is really good.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PresDa01.htm

During Dak games, Collins was out, Steele was a dumspter fire in his place, Williams was still recovering from his knee, Smith was struggling along in two games under his injuries that drove him to surgery, and Looney was starting at C. At this point at least, the oline is in *so* much better shape. Everyone healthy. Williams showing that he is a quality G down the stretch. Biadasz getting a full offseason to prepare to take over at C. McGovern giving us quality depth in the interior, with Knight and Steele having got experience and improved last year.

Zeke even stopped the fumbling in the back half of the season. Schultz emerged as a competent TE, and Jarwin is back.

Dak was really good when he played, and everyone around Dak is *better* than when they played with Dak last year, whether through health or experience, and by a *lot*.

What an incredible hack.

Flamma

Reaction score
I don't see the NFC East being that bad this season. Giants are much improved. Upgraded the offense and that includes Barkley coming back. And as much as I'd like to say differently, Daniel Jones isn't that bad. But like most QBs, he needs help too.

What's so special about a lot of these other divisions? AFC East has Buffalo, who else? Is Miami so great? The NFC South has Tampa. No other team in that division do I consider better than NFC East teams. AFC West has the Chiefs. The NFC North has the Packers, maybe with Rodgers. The rest of the teams don't impress me the slightest bit. It's pretty much pot luck with all of these teams. In 2020 the NFC East was 8th.

Praxit

Reaction score
....I highly doubt it. I think the East will be top 3 division. Much improved NYG and WFT will counter offer with Dallas. Philly is my ? for the div.

Dak_N_Zeke

Reaction score
The stupid. It burns. It's the archtype of ignoring context, with a "QBs determine the record" cherry on top.

The defense was an historically incompetent pile of garbage, and Zeke was busy fumbling away games. In the midst of that, Dak was producing and producing and producing, with the highest QBR of his career at 78.7, which is really good.

During Dak games, Collins was out, Steele was a dumspter fire in his place, Williams was still recovering from his knee, Smith was struggling along in two games under his injuries that drove him to surgery, and Looney was starting at C. At this point at least, the oline is in *so* much better shape. Everyone healthy. Williams showing that he is a quality G down the stretch. Biadasz getting a full offseason to prepare to take over at C. McGovern giving us quality depth in the interior, with Knight and Steele having got experience and improved last year.

Zeke even stopped the fumbling in the back half of the season. Schultz emerged as a competent TE, and Jarwin is back.

Dak was really good when he played, and everyone around Dak is *better* than when they played with Dak last year, whether through health or experience, and by a *lot*.

What an incredible hack.

Couldn't agree more.

It's lazy to say the division will suck as much as last year and that the Commanders are still the best team. The Cowboys have the most talent. Whether they win the division or not, we'll see, but if they were healthy, they would have easily won the division last year. Even if only Dak was healthy, they still win the division last year.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Like it or not WFEs Defense will win them games, just start with their front four is tops in the league.
Chase Young
Da'ron Payne
Jonathan Allen
Montez Sweat
and I didnt bother to mention their rotation, they got deep on DL while Jerry was twitteling his thumbs.
They can rotate in guys like Ionannidis and Settle.

cristglo

Reaction score
On paper all teams are looking good so to speak Ready for the pads to come on!

Flamma

Reaction score
Forget this year. Lets just hope Dallas looks like a quality team. Tampa is going back to the SB. The results of week 1 are meaningless. Just like they are every year in regards to judging teams. Tampa hasn't even peaked yet. Nothing in the NFC is stopping them.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more.

It's lazy to say the division will suck as much as last year and that the Commanders are still the best team. The Cowboys have the most talent. Whether they win the division or not, we'll see, but if they were healthy, they would have easily won the division last year. Even if only Dak was healthy, they still win the division last year.

does Dallas have the most talent?

or does Dallas have the talent talked about the most?

If not sure tune into HBO’s hard knocks to find out how great the talent here is.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score

What an incredible hack.
Not to mention all three losses were to playoff teams.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know it is the off-season, but this has to be one of the stupidest rankings categories ever. They sit and make categories up to have something to do.
I don't care where the division ranks. Someone will win the division and make the playoffs.

So rank us last in every single thing, it does not matter. They still have to play the games, and some team must win it and go to the playoffs.
I love being the underdog in these circumstances.