Divisional Power Ranking: NFC East

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I could care less about what the rankings are right now, what we should be discussing is how we match up against specific teams divisionally and I will start with the WFT since I have already mentioned their DL in this thread.
Not trying to derail the OP, so remove my *** if need be, ,just thought we might entertain some match up thoughts, and Washington is my biggest concern at this point for division comp.

plasticman

Reaction score
Like it or not WFEs Defense will win them games, just start with their front four is tops in the league.
Chase Young
Da'ron Payne
Jonathan Allen
Montez Sweat
and I didnt bother to mention their rotation, they got deep on DL while Jerry was twitteling his thumbs.
They can rotate in guys like Ionannidis and Settle.
They aren't playing around, four consecutive years of drafting a D-lineman in the 1st round, 2017-2020. This year they drafted a LB.

ESisback

Reaction score
I think the division is going to be better than the dumpster fire people are assuming it will be. Granted, it won't be in the same ballpark of the best divisions but I think the Giants, Cowboys and Commanders will be better than last year. The Eagles? Who the hell knows.
Sad but true. Also true is the “what have you done for me lately” factor—stronger than ever. It’s kind of pathetic to me that a team/franchise/division can dominate for decades, but have a down period for a few years, and it’s all forgotten. Sports “experts” gleefully pontificate on the utter failure, and the unwashed masses lap it up. The Celtics and Lakers have 35 banners between them, but all you hear about is the current “hot” team. Past accomplishments mean less than nothing. Marciano, Dempsey, Louis, Ali, the Cinderella Man—no boxer today can touch them, but the hype machine props up the current leader to cartoon levels. Our own Captain Comeback, HOFer Roger Staubach, made 250k at his peak, yet some 5’9” dime-a-dozen cornerback from Georgia scoffs at 10 million, claiming he was dissed by greedy oppressors.

The NFCE still has more Lombardi’s on it’s shelves than the other divisions, and will one day return to glory. IMHO, 2020 was the low point, and 2021 will start the road back. I see Dallas, WFT, and NY with improved records. Baby steps, baby steps…

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
They aren't playing around, four consecutive years of drafting a D-lineman in the 1st round, 2017-2020. This year they drafted a LB.
Thats what Ive been watching, its deep and Jamin Davis was a poor mans Parsons,, they countered right there and then we sucker punched em with Cox....
Was a very entertaining draft, but the Skins D should be very concerning.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Forget this year. Lets just hope Dallas looks like a quality team. Tampa is going back to the SB. The results of week 1 are meaningless. Just like they are every year in regards to judging teams. Tampa hasn't even peaked yet. Nothing in the NFC is stopping them.

I'm not so sure about that re: Tampa. Even Brady isn't immune to Father Time, he's just made it look that way so far. He threw 3 picks in the NFC title game, but a couple of Green Bay brain farts made up for them.

Then there's the SB hangover. Will Arians handle it well? Are Brady's mates cut from the same cloth as his former ones?

The West is the deepest division. The Niners were a M*A*S*H unit last season after winning the NFC in 2019. There are other contenders outside Tampa.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
"The Cowboys will be getting Dak Prescott back, but who knows if that will actually help."

It's a fair point.

It is, but some misinterpreted it as blaming Dak. The point is/was if the Cowboys are turnover prone and play bad defense - again - Dak's return won't magically overcome those things by winning 40-39 every week. It's simply not a recipe for success.

Sydla

Reaction score
The Cowboys will be getting Dak Prescott back, but who knows if that will actually help.

Lol ok scooter

You conveniently left off the next sentence in that writeup which provides context for his comment. The Cowboys went 1-3 when Dak was churning up yards and stats before getting hurt. So his point is that even with Dak back, will the Cowboys still have the same issues that had them at 1-3 despite Dak playing well?

But other than that, great post.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Like it or not WFEs Defense will win them games, just start with their front four is tops in the league.
Chase Young
Da'ron Payne
Jonathan Allen
Montez Sweat
and I didnt bother to mention their rotation, they got deep on DL while Jerry was twitteling his thumbs.
They also have a QB that singlehandedly loses games. With a team relying in defense, the easiest to negate that advantage is to play a TO prone QB

Hadenough

Reaction score
Chase Young
Da'ron Payne
Jonathan Allen
Montez Sweat
You didn't even mention Kerrigan. That dude would be starter in Dallas.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I could care less about what the rankings are right now, what we should be discussing is how we match up against specific teams divisionally and I will start with the WFT since I have already mentioned their DL in this thread.
Not trying to derail the OP, so remove my *** if need be, ,just thought we might entertain some match up thoughts, and Washington is my biggest concern at this point for division comp.
They are very average outside their DL. And Young is the really dominant DL they. They others are pretty good by not dominate. If our OL is healthy, Im not too concenred about their defense. They beat up on alot of bad OL's and bad QB's in division play last year

Hadenough

Reaction score
They also have a QB that singlehandedly loses games. With a team relying in defense, the easiest to negate that advantage is to play a TO prone QB
I actually think that defense is good enough to protect Fitzpatrick when he has those mistakes. The thing about Fitzpatrick is he can throw 3TDs against a good team where as the Cowboys end up with 3 field goals against good teams.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
8. NFC East
I'm not sure what rock bottom is in the NFL, but the NFC East was definitely trying to find out last season. This division was so bad in 2020 that even NFC East fans were willing to admit that their favorite division was a flaming bag of garbage.

If you need a quick refresher on how bad the NFC East was last year, just consider this: Washington won the division with a losing record (7-9). Overall, the NFC East finished with a 10-29-1 non-divisional record last season, which was tied with the 2014 NFC South for the worst non-divisional record since the NFL realigned the divisions in 2002. Also, the NFC East combined to go 23-40-1 overall, which was the second-worst overall record ever for a division (The 2008 NFC West went 22-42).

Unfortunately for the NFC East, it doesn't look like things are going to get much better in 2021. The Eagles are still a mess and they have a first-year coach in place who's going to have to clean things up. The Giants should be better, but that's going to come down to whether Daniel Jones can take the next step. The Cowboys will be getting Dak Prescott back, but who knows if that will actually help. In the four games where Dak was healthy last year, the Cowboys went 1-3. As for Washington, the Football Team still has a strong defense and they upgraded at quarterback, so they could be better, but not enough to move the NFC East out of the basement.

Probably won't be the year where that happens.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...the-basement-with-rest-of-nfc-east/ar-AALSGOL
They NFC Ease as a whole may suck but the Cowboys will not. They're going to win the division going away.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
You conveniently left off the next sentence in that writeup which provides context for his comment. The Cowboys went 1-3 when Dak was churning up yards and stats before getting hurt. So his point is that even with Dak back, will the Cowboys still have the same issues that had them at 1-3 despite Dak playing well?

But other than that, great post.
The reason they were 1-3 was the defense and turnovers by Zeke. Dak had some int's trying his best to make plays in the game to come from behind.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I actually think that defense is good enough to protect Fitzpatrick when he has those mistakes. The thing about Fitzpatrick is he can throw 3TDs against a good team where as the Cowboys end up with 3 field goals against good teams.
That defense beat up on a broken last year and they didnt clinch until week 17. Giants and Cowboys are both healthy now, and the Commanders didnt do much to improve.

Their DL is good, but Young is the only real stud on that line. Sweat had one of the worst win rates in the NFL in 2019, and got better playing a bunch of rookies and backups. Payne is almost no pass rush threat at all. They arent going to look as good when they are consistently playing healthier teams. Commanders didnt have a ton of key injuries last year

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Defense dont QB's like that. QB's like that hurt defenses by giving them a short field to defend.

Fitzpatrick can throw 3 TD's against good defense, where the Cowboys will end of with 3 FG's? Are you implying Fitzpatrick is better than Prescott? Im sure every team Fitzpatrick has ever played for would disagreee lol