DLaw: Bet on myself

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Football players get paid as much as they do because very few people can play at their level - the level they entertain allows them to get paid as much as they do.

But yes, our military men and women deserve to be paid more.

True but by that logic there are even fewer guys capable of doing what the Delta and or Team 6 guys can do. Of course you can’t pay them millions but I understand why people make the point. It is about actual utility. HALO jumping into enemy territory to eradicate some terrorist dirtbag against catching a 5 yard pass is not even in the same stratosphere. I don’t belittled people that think this way. It is not realistic but it is a good thing people wish military and police and fire should get paid more.

eastsideboy

Reaction score
Military pay has zero to do with NFL pay.

It’s just nonsense.

You’re free to donate as much as you want to organizations that benefit members of the military. Nobody is stopping you.
As has already been said the NFL pay has nothing to do with the military but I would say that instead of paying $100 for a jersey donate that to a military organization would probably be a great idea

eastsideboy

Reaction score
Dude bet on himself and won, a prove it deal, now fans dont want the team to pay up. Get over it this is the business end of the NFL.
you're right he bet on himself and he won now I don't want to hear anything from him or his agent again about this contract for the next 4 years.

eastsideboy

Reaction score
Wrong. The guy was making a point to not put athletes on a pedestal. I agree. I actually do donate to Wounded Warriors and the SEAL Foundation. Those are real heroes. Not the guys that play football. Those guys are entertainers.
Can't argue with that.

nobody

Reaction score
Start a movement of citizens willing to double their taxes to pay the military more. Let's see how far it gets beyond the cheap chest-thumping, "I'm such a great guy with 'proper' priorities" talk.

I would gladly pay higher taxes IF I was sure the extra taxes were going toward paying our troops more. Congress can't be trusted to do that. They'd probably give each soldier a one-time bonus of like $50 and then vote to give themselves a large raise and a pat on the back for helping the soldiers out.

birdwells1

Reaction score
you're right he bet on himself and he won now I don't want to hear anything from him or his agent again about this contract for the next 4 years.
Do you understand that he doesnt care what you want to hear? He doesn't care what I want to hear? If you are not a franchise qb teams will play hard ball with you. Player and agents know this fans take it personal.

CWR

Reaction score
Start a movement of citizens willing to double their taxes to pay the military more. Let's see how far it gets beyond the cheap chest-thumping, "I'm such a great guy with 'proper' priorities" talk.

That's the ridiculousness of our government with an infinite budget and constantly flushing money down the toilet they will always tell you the only way to pay military/police/fire is to raise taxes.

Its simply not true. Quit with frivolous, undisciplined spending and pay those that serve livable wages. There's not ALWAYS a need to raise taxes.

cern

Reaction score
That's the ridiculousness of our government with an infinite budget and constantly flushing money down the toilet they will always tell you the only way to pay military/police/fire is to raise taxes.

Its simply not true. Quit with frivolous, undisciplined spending and pay those that serve livable wages. There's not ALWAYS a need to raise taxes.
How is the budget infinite??? It's not just the personnel who have to be paid but the bureaucracy to sustain it. Aircraft carriers take years to build and cost billions. Nuclear submarines cost billions to build and maintain. Stealth bombers and jets aren't cheap. Running our military academies isn't cheap. Our military budget for 2019 is almost 1 trillion dollars. Could you elucidate as to where you think this infinite income stream comes?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
How is the budget infinite??? It's not just the personnel who have to be paid but the bureaucracy to sustain it. Aircraft carriers take years to build and cost billions. Nuclear submarines cost billions to build and maintain. Stealth bombers and jets aren't cheap. Running our military academies isn't cheap. Our military budget for 2019 is almost 1 trillion dollars. Could you elucidate as to where you think this infinite income stream comes?

I think he was being sarcastic and saying the budget was not infinite. Unless of course we embark on MMT and then all is peachy.

CWR

Reaction score

Okay so you dont think the government pisses away money on a regular basis? The infinite stream of money they receive is whats coming out of your check each week and every time you make a purchase. I dont want to hear about whats allocated for the military either. I want to hear why we need to pay a few million dollars to study pigeons having sex on cocaine? There's always an excuse to not pay our guys, I get it. Maybe though, maybe we can just be brutally honest and say they are NOT a priority.

CWR

Reaction score
I think he was being sarcastic and saying the budget was not infinite. Unless of course we embark on MMT and then all is peachy.

Yes I was exaggerating, my point is the government taxes the hell out of us and then we have to hear excuses about why we cant pay our troops a livable wage. Its not an income problem, its a spending problem. Its about priorities and it irritates me that to do the right thing there's always the threat of raising taxes. They dont need more of our money, they need to manage the money they have.

LittleD

Reaction score
Paying the military has zero to do with the NFL. So your post is pointless.

A job is a job my friend. Some are dangerous and some don't make a "hill of beans" in life. The point is valid...you just don't like it...so what?

LittleD

Reaction score

The entire military budget is about 717billion while the rest of the government budget is over 4trillion. Lots of waste could be found if politicians wanted to pay our military lots more money.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score

I know the military ,thru the use of their UCMJ is overly fond of cutting the pay to those who serve,Too!
(,,,er,,, something about green reefer& fighting while out of uniform/unauthorized ,their not all that overly fond of,,,o_O)

cern

Reaction score
Okay so you dont think the government pisses away money on a regular basis? The infinite stream of money they receive is whats coming out of your check each week and every time you make a purchase. I dont want to hear about whats allocated for the military either. I want to hear why we need to pay a few million dollars to study pigeons having sex on cocaine? There's always an excuse to not pay our guys, I get it. Maybe though, maybe we can just be brutally honest and say they are NOT a priority.
If the money stream was infinite we wouldn't have the greatest deficit in history. I was graduated from the naval academy. Served in the submarine service in the 60's and 70's. Was an operator for task force 157. Worked for darpa. There are huge wastes of money on military equipment spending by those who control the budget but lack knowledge of weapons systems. We have turned our military into a police force. That is beyond its purview. I'm as jingoistic as anyone. I abhor wasteful spending. If it was up to me, I'd bring our troops home and spend far more money rehabbing our wounded warriors.

CWR

Reaction score
If the money stream was infinite we wouldn't have the greatest deficit in history. I was graduated from the naval academy. Served in the submarine service in the 60's and 70's. Was an operator for task force 157. Worked for darpa. There are huge wastes of money on military equipment spending by those who control the budget but lack knowledge of weapons systems. We have turned our military into a police force. That is beyond its purview. I'm as jingoistic as anyone. I abhor wasteful spending. If it was up to me, I'd bring our troops home and spend far more money rehabbing our wounded warriors.

I know the money stream isn't "infinite." Im sorry for the exaggeration. I think I've made myself clear. We dont have an income problem, we have a spending problem. We dont need to raise taxes to provide better benefits to our troops. We simply need to stop wasteful spending and prioritize.