DLaw has been the best DE run defender for the past 4/5 years

Kwyn

Reaction score
I would simply counter that the "War Daddy" contract he received those 4 to 5 years ago was for getting sacks on the QB.
Not pressures, hurries or run defense.

Thank God for Micah, lol.
You don’t think he’s earned his pay?

I imagine many people would say “yes”.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Unless he is up against someone like fields but then no one should expect a DE to be able to contain what is basically RB.
He has always been overpaid but that is not his fault; just more idiocy by the Front office.
He’s the 21st highest paid end.

What exactly are you expecting for an end outside the top 20 in pay?

Kwyn

Reaction score
People that think DLaw isn't worth his contract (15th highest paid defensive end in the NFL) are being dishonest with themselves. DLaw is worth every penny. He is one of the best all around DEs in the entire league. He literally does everything for this team. He is an elite run defender, maybe the best at his position, and still an above average pass rusher.

There have been multiple instances even just in the last few years where he makes the game sealing play. When it's 4th and short and you desperately need a stop, DLaw is one of the best in the league at beating his man and making the tackle short of the line to gain. I can't help but remember the Houston game last year where DLaw single handedly prevented Houston from scoring on the 1 multiple times. Beast.
21st is what I see

Kwyn

Reaction score
Someone making what he’s making should have more than 4 sacks. Those run grades are great but he doesn’t generate near enough pressure on passing downs.
You have a fairly primitive understanding of how defensive front sevens work.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Seriously you cant read his contract breakdown but you can judge he is a complete player ?

Gets manhandled on a regular basis by tackles. Can win only against TEs. Misses tackle on a regular basis in the open field. Is only effective when surrounded by superior talent.

Guy is medicore and way overpaid.

But whats worse this guy has ono of the worst characters. He is a cancer for our locker room. He is only interessted in celling his Brand.
You are insane. More likely, you have some weird personal agenda that has nothing to do with football.

You might want to find a Time Machine that takes you back to th 50’s when the world made more sense to people like you.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Great stats and rankings to show how valuable DLaw is for the run defense. He is the leader of the Defense, and I hope he retires on this squad.

phildadon86

Reaction score

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Do we even know his salary? I think people are thinking of the 100 million dollar deal he signed.

I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or trolling.
It's the culmination of all the restructured money he is due from kicking his salary down the road. He is making $17M this year and is due $20M next year.

1942willys

Reaction score
He’s the 21st highest paid end.

What exactly are you expecting for an end outside the top 20 in pay?
What was it when he got his new contract?
Or are you unable to make the connection?

1942willys

Reaction score
It's the culmination of all the restructured money he is due from kicking his salary down the road. He is making $17M this year and is due $20M next year.
Hard to not laugh at those that again and again claim he was not overpaid or somehow think he is some kind of great defender.
HE is very good against the run; decent in pass rush but certainly was NEVER worth the contract he signed; which again is NOT HIS FAULT.
Just Jerry being a poor GM

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't want actual production on the field from my DEs. What I want is high PFF grades concocted by a group of nerd virgins debating win rates.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Hard to not laugh at those that again and again claim he was not overpaid or somehow think he is some kind of great defender.
HE is very good against the run; decent in pass rush but certainly was NEVER worth the contract he signed; which again is NOT HIS FAULT.
Just Jerry being a poor GM
Oh, he was never paid as the very top current level for a sack master. He is being paid for being a very good defensive end. All of the appropriate stats combined. A great team end. (Pressures, sacks, tackles plus team approval for interactive contributions)

kskboys

Reaction score
You are insane. More likely, you have some weird personal agenda that has nothing to do with football.

You might want to find a Time Machine that takes you back to th 50’s when the world made more sense to people like you.
Yeah, pretty much none of that was true.

DLaw has been a good player from the start. Problem was, he became a good player insisting on great money.

However, in 2022, DLaw agreed to a new contract, 40 mil for 3 years. His new contract is directly in line w/ what he should be making.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes, and then 7 mil in 2025.

Looking at one year's salary is irrelevant. It's the average that matters.

Amounts are thrown around that go drastically up and down in order to fit everyone under the cap.

Tussinman

Reaction score
No one is trading for that salary. That is not DLaw's fault.
Has base salary next year (final year of deal) is only 10 million so it would be a one year 10 million rental for whoever trades him. That's not a bad price it just wouldn't get you a high pick and you would save 10 million on next year's cap but it would push 10 million more dead money into 2025 so you would just break even

Tussinman

Reaction score
Yes, and then 7 mil in 2025.

Looking at one year's salary is irrelevant. It's the average that matters.

Amounts are thrown around that go drastically up and down in order to fit everyone under the cap.
He's actually not under contract in 2025, they just pushed cap hit into a void year. His base next year is only 10 million but he has a 20.5 million cap hit so I'm assuming that they're going to try to turn 2025 into an actual year (so extend him one more season) and push some of that 2024 hit into 2025.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Yet we still have longtime fans that will look at a stat sheet and see only five or six sacks and think he's not needed. :facepalm: