DLaw has been the best DE run defender for the past 4/5 years

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If you got rid of Dlaw could we handle the running games of either the Eagles or the 49ers? Or the Rams from a few years back?
Have no idea. I'm only addressing the idea of trading him for a rookie. All I'm saying is at this point in his career when he's in his 30s and getting close to winding down, I'd certainly trade him for the right rookie because of the age difference and having that player under our control for years. Now, I don't think any team would trade us a rookie who would be close to the equivalent of Lawrence, but I wasn't really dealing with reality just a blanket statement.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Has base salary next year (final year of deal) is only 10 million so it would be a one year 10 million rental for whoever trades him. That's not a bad price it just wouldn't get you a high pick and you would save 10 million on next year's cap but it would push 10 million more dead money into 2025 so you would just break even
The base salary is only part of the rent due to DLaw. His cap hit will be in the neighborhood of $20M so the Cowboys would be stuck paying $10M to trade him.

conner01

Reaction score
Hilarious, he's taken so much grief on this board.
Fans only look at stats and not actual impact. Stopping the run is much more important than fans think. Setting the edge is important even if it doesn’t result in a tackle. It’s just like pressures. Pressures caused hurried passes, mistakes even if they don’t result in a sack. Sure a sack is more impactful but pressures are way under rated

conner01

Reaction score
Have no idea. I'm only addressing the idea of trading him for a rookie. All I'm saying is at this point in his career when he's in his 30s and getting close to winding down, I'd certainly trade him for the right rookie because of the age difference and having that player under our control for years. Now, I don't think any team would trade us a rookie who would be close to the equivalent of Lawrence, but I wasn't really dealing with reality just a blanket statement.
Trading him probably wouldn’t net you much of an impact player. One year left on his contract and other teams know his age too. He’s likely gonna play out and hopefully we have the next guy ready to replace him

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Trading him probably wouldn’t net you much of an impact player. One year left on his contract and other teams know his age too. He’s likely gonna play out and hopefully we have the next guy ready to replace him
Oh, I agree. I think the only way he could be traded is for a pick and it wouldn't be enough of one to be worthwhile. Other teams also recognize both his age and his contract would make it prohibitive to trade a young impact player or early pick for him.