DLaw looking for 6 years, $140 mil with $85 garuanteed

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
How do you know no one will pay him that money? The franchise tag is terrible. It screws the players. If I was Tank I would sign the tag right before the season starts. Then get my shoulder surgery and play 10 games.
Because he’s a defensive end pass rusher. Guys like Khalil Mack and Von Miller play all over the field. Lawrence just offers us pass rushing ability and that contract doesn’t warrant that.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Well the problem with that is he doesn't get the 20 million and I hate to say it but you ain't never making that up. Just ask Le'Veon Bell.
Exactly what I meant. His agents advise may have him missing out if he isn’t careful.

Waiting to get that shoulder fixed and not signing the tag till July at the deadline.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
what happened with Mayowa at DE and others when Tank wasn't playing..yup we won a bunch of games. I think folks are over blowing the impact of Tank. If we sign Tank to anything over 22 mil per, and like 70 mil guaranteed, we will set back the team by 5 years or more. That means Dak,Zeke deals might be harder to do..almost impossible.

Imagine worrying about paying your in his prime star DE so you can save money to pay a below average qb and a running back. What year is it?

And then say you can't set the franchise back 5 years.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If true, he (Lawrence) seems to come from the Jay Ratliff/Orlando Scandrick school of negotiating.

Both of those deals (and the players) ended up as "turds".

This I feel would probably end in a similar fashion.

If the guy wants to sit out part of the season (or the whole season for that matter) fine. The Cowboys can take his money and roll it into next years cap.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I wouldn’t even rent him at this point for 25 million for the year if he would take the deal. The longer he waits to have surgery the less teams are gonna pay. By the time he recovers and gets full strength and conditioned it will be into the season. How many teams are going to pay the contract he is wanting to begin with. And now how many teams will pay him close to that knowing he won’t really be a full go before this season starts.

I see a scenario where he ends up pulling a bell. Or his agents advise ends up forcing him to pull a bell and sitting out this season. Or sign the tag and we trade him for nothing.

Agreed. Time to ask the Raiders if they want to take DLaw I think. I like DLaw, but this is a defence heavy draft, and I've laid out on several threads my plan for how to replace DLaw.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Agreed. Time to ask the Raiders if they want to take DLaw I think. I like DLaw, but this is a defence heavy draft, and I've laid out on several threads my plan for how to replace DLaw.
If we got a high or mid 1st for him then go for it. If this gap is to big and they can’t meet in the middle soon. It will make our FO look stronger that they didn’t cave. Someone got him thinking he is Miller or Mack.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If we got a high or mid 1st for him then go for it. If this gap is to big and they can’t meet in the middle soon. It will make our FO look stronger that they didn’t cave. Someone got him thinking he is Miller or Mack.

Honestly, I'd just be happy with ANY first round pick. If it's a late 1, we should get the DT Dexter that I've been on about since yesterday. He'd change this defence in a massive (in more ways than one) way.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Honestly, I'd just be happy with ANY first round pick. If it's a late 1, we should get the DT Dexter that I've been on about since yesterday. He'd change this defence in a massive (in more ways than one) way.
If the trade is with the raiders then it will probly be the one we gave them for Cooper.

If this happens then we essentially just traded D-Law for Cooper straight up.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If the trade is with the raiders then it will probly be the one we gave them for Cooper.

If this happens then we essentially just traded D-Law for Cooper straight up.

Exactly, and that's what I'd like it to be. Seems quite logical actually to me. They still have quite a big need at Dline, and they've got loads of cap space. DLaw clearly doesn't want to be here without a deal that would make it highly unlikely we keep the other players we really need to keep including Cooper. So, unload him to the Raiders for our first round pick back, then get Dexter and Allen with our first 2 picks as I've suggested since yesterday. Solves 1 tech and DE within our first 2 picks.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Exactly, and that's what I'd like it to be. Seems quite logical actually to me. They still have quite a big need at Dline, and they've got loads of cap space. DLaw clearly doesn't want to be here without a deal that would make it highly unlikely we keep the other players we really need to keep including Cooper. So, unload him to the Raiders for our first round pick back, then get Dexter and Allen with our first 2 picks as I've suggested since yesterday. Solves 1 tech and DE within our first 2 picks.
Hard to get D-Law performance from a first year lineman. He knows that and is why thinks he has JJ by the you know what’s.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Hard to get D-Law performance from a first year lineman. He knows that and is why thinks he has JJ by the you know what’s.

Yes, it is difficult to get that sort of performance from a 1st year lineman. However, I think Dexter Lawrence and Zach Allen would certainly give us a significant chance at doing that. Zach Allen looks almost like Jared Allen when I watch videos on him. Dexter Lawrence would be an absolute mauler. I actually don't think we'd lose as much as some would think if we got those 2.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Yes, it is difficult to get that sort of performance from a 1st year lineman. However, I think Dexter Lawrence and Zach Allen would certainly give us a significant chance at doing that. Zach Allen looks almost like Jared Allen when I watch videos on him. Dexter Lawrence would be an absolute mauler. I actually don't think we'd lose as much as some would think if we got those 2.
Great idea. Actually getting them is the hard part. Lol.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Great idea. Actually getting them is the hard part. Lol.

Haha, yes, that is certainly the hard part. It's easy and fun for us as fans to talk about it. We shall have to see if Jerry 1. has interest in Dexter Lawrence (which he and the FO and coaches should), 2. If he can actually pull that off. If he were to be able to pull that bit of magic off, then he's one brilliant magician.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Haha, yes, that is certainly the hard part. It's easy and fun for us as fans to talk about it. We shall have to see if Jerry 1. has interest in Dexter Lawrence (which he and the FO and coaches should), 2. If he can actually pull that off. If he were to be able to pull that bit of magic off, then he's one brilliant magician.
I think the D-Law rollercoaster is going to continue for a bit. Maybe till the point of the draft being over. Either the agent wants to take a trade off the table before draft or maybe D-Law does. I think he is following his agents advise to corner our FO. And at worst sign the tag and miss part of the season healing from surgery. Collect his 20 million and move on next year for slightly less money somewhere else.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think the D-Law rollercoaster is going to continue for a bit. Maybe till the point of the draft being over. Either the agent wants to take a trade off the table before draft or maybe D-Law does. I think he is following his agents advise to corner our FO. And at worst sign the tag and miss part of the season healing from surgery. Collect his 20 million and move on next year for slightly less money somewhere else.

Hmm, that's certainly possible. What's interesting is if Quinn and DLaw get big deals next year, we could be looking at 2 3rd round comp picks. That'd give us a lot of ammo to have 2 1st round picks next year.