News: DMN: 10 players the Dallas Cowboys might regret passing on in the 2016 NFL draft

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not a one of them. Not really.
but if i had to say.
Mills most likely, but maybe Frazier will work out fine in the future, lol. Billings possibly, as those 2 were mentioned above.
And in hindsight Spence. So they were gun shy on Spence probably because of Gregory. So they gambled on Jaylon Smith....:huh:
But I can also understand they could try to wait the 4 games out so didn't want to draft a DE that high. So why did they say they wanted Bullard or Dodd, so that theory is not sound.

Now they may regret not trying hard enough to get Lynch, if Smith never plays, and now that Collins is injured, though he should recover just fine by the end of TC.

Ramsey, no way, Zeke was the better pick at that time. I would still be sick to my stomach and everywhere else if the took Ramsey over Zeke.

I think the killer with Spence is the possibility of relying on DE that has the potential the be unavailable at some point in time due to suspension. In my eyes that makes sense as Ogbah and Dodd present some stability at that position even if they may not be as talented (although Ogbah has a high ceiling )

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
So in your opinion it wasn't a lack of talent and/or execution but more of the defensive game plan and play calling?

Follow this, if I can articulate it well enough to make my opinion accessible. Not meaning you can't understand, but that I may not be skilled enough to define it.

Pretty much the consensus here is that the offense protected the defense in 2014. While there are those who toss out statistics about time of possession and other minutia, the offense scored lots of points and moved the game along with running plays, which normally take longer than passing plays as far as the clock is concerned. Unless the play ends up out of bounds, in a running play the clock does not normally stop.

Using this as a yardstick, one might say the results of the defense in 2014 was beholding to the offense and their success to a degree.

Marinelli surely went into that game with an idea how he was going to defense the Packers.. And since they are, at times, the epitome of what a passing attack is in this era, Marinelli elected to protect his defense from big plays by being conservative and stopping the pass at the point of attack instead of the point of conception.

Stop the ball at the receiver instead of at the quarterback.

So to a degree, the game plan was created to stop a potent Packer team that employs a timing based attack and throws on a rhythm.

However, Rodgers was wounded, and struggled in the first half. To my way of thinking, putting a defender in his face, and knocking him down at every turn would have positioned the team for a better results than playing what amounted to a prevent defense.

Now my personal feeling is Marinelli was playing with scared money. Jimmy Johnson did some of the things in the NFC Championship game during the 1992 campaign. Barry Switzer did in 1995. He went for it on fourth down and did not get the first down. Same as the Eagles game in 1995. But Jimmy was a huge proponent of playing calculated risks for the big pay-off.

In my mind body checking Rodgers against the boards in the first half causing him to think about his injury and not get into any type of rhythm would have been a better attack on the part of Dallas.

The Cowboys lost anyway. So why not push all the chips into the middle of the table and go for all-out.

In a fist fight against a larger opponent, you always want him moving backwards away from your attack. I think Dallas covered up and played not to get hit.

But this is merely an opinion of a fat guy that watches on TV and not some sage poster here who had a hand in inventing football. (That was not a shot at you, by the way)

Last edited:

Hardline

Reaction score
Still not a huge fan of taking a RB that high in the draft, especially when the 2017 draft is set up to be the most well-stocked RB class in a decade. That said, I get some of the arguments for taking Elliott there in relation to what was on the board at #4 outside of Ramsey (I still would have gone Ramsey for a number of reasons though).

The Jaylon Smith pick is really tough because he was such a tremendous talent when healthy so you have to weigh the decision in light of the value you'd be getting if he can regain his health. For me it comes down to odds. I'm more conservative by nature so I think I would have gone Myles Jack with the understanding he may only give you 3-5 years of relatively healthy but immediate play over taking Smith, who may never play again at all, but could be great if he does.

If Elliot is a disappointment one of those RBs next year will still be on the board when the Cowboys pick. Draft another one.

zekecowboy

Reaction score
Why did Jerry Jones make it very clear that the Cowboys were interested in Paxton? You hold your cards to your chest, you do not show your cards to the opponent.

2.) Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis.
Jerry Jones made it very clear that the Cowboys were interested in trading up into the end of the first round to draft Lynch. Denver had the same idea and made a better offer. Lynch went 26th overall when Seattle traded the pick to the Broncos. Did the Cowboys miss out on a future franchise QB? Can Dak Prescott become that player for Dallas?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
DAL didn't pass on Lynch....we offered our 2nd 3rd and got outbid....like saying we passed on Wentz

jnday

Reaction score
1. Ramsey - had he been the pick the media would be criticizing about drafting him after learning he had microfracture in high school along with not being an interception guy and a better fit at FS over CB like Byron.

2. Lynch - the media would have reemed them over spending two picks on a player that they won't know what they got for another 3-4 years.

3. Jack - would have claimed nobody else was going to take this high because his knee has a short shelf life.

4. Spence - criticism would be why are they drafting another DE with drug issues? What about RKG?

5. Cook - not like they actually passed on him, 3rd was too high. But they would point out his not being team captain and how he's not a likeable guy by teammates.

6. Billings - they would point out Cowboys already spent for a free agent 1 tech, and when Billings wouldn't get much playing time due to backing up and possible 3rd string they would blame for drafting at an area that wasn't needed.

7. Jones - this guy may be the most over-rated qb by the media. A lot of criticism would be just how raw he is and how poorly he looks.

8. Blair - criticism would be another DE? You passed on a development QB for another year? What happens when Gregory & Lawrence come back?

9. Mills - punched his girlfriend. Another what about RKG? Also had injuries and slow 40 (4.61)

10. Matakevich - how does he fit in a Marinelli scheme that needs guys who can run?

If Lynch is a good QB, it will haunt this team for over a decade.

jnday

Reaction score
DAL didn't pass on Lynch....we offered our 2nd 3rd and got outbid....like saying we passed on Wentz

Jerry could have got Lynch if he wanted. Dallas had a chance to counteroffer.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
They could have had Ramsey, Jack and Jaylon Smith in all likelyhood. Then drafted a RB like Perkins with the 4th rd comp pick. Tapper in the 4th could stay the same.

Ramsey, Jack, Smith and Tapper look like 4 pretty solid pieces to add to the defense to me and I am convinced Perkins will be a legit RB.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Jerry could have got Lynch if he wanted. Dallas had a chance to counteroffer.

We didn't have a first, which is what they wanted, to get the 5th year option. Unless you wanted to offer next year's first?

lwehlers

Reaction score
We didn't have a first, which is what they wanted, to get the 5th year option. Unless you wanted to offer next year's first?

if the cowboys thought that lynch was a can't miss qb I would think that jones would have offered a pick in next years draft for him. I wish we could have drafted lynch. I think the would have been great with our o-line and Bryant.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Why did Jerry Jones make it very clear that the Cowboys were interested in Paxton? You hold your cards to your chest, you do not show your cards to the opponent.

2.) Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis.
Jerry Jones made it very clear that the Cowboys were interested in trading up into the end of the first round to draft Lynch. Denver had the same idea and made a better offer. Lynch went 26th overall when Seattle traded the pick to the Broncos. Did the Cowboys miss out on a future franchise QB? Can Dak Prescott become that player for Dallas?

I don't think Denver got into the bidding until seattle called them and told them the Cowboys wanted their pick. The Cowboys had been calling teams since pick #20 and Denver never made a move then.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
No, and that 12-4 team couldn't stop Aaron Rodges when it counted either.

Considering the defense this year hasn't played any games it's all speculation if they will be better or worst then 2014. Nobody will know until the season starts

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
We had the opportunity to restock our defense. The FO missed on trading down several times. Not a big fan of this draft. Tapper, Jackson, Brown and Collins were my favorite picks. The others not so much

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Follow this, if I can articulate it well enough to make my opinion accessible. Not meaning you can't understand, but that I may not be skilled enough to define it.

Pretty much the consensus here is that the offense protected the defense in 2014. While there are those who toss out statistics about time of possession and other minutia, the offense scored lots of points and moved the game along with running plays, which normally take longer than passing plays as far as the clock is concerned. Unless the play ends up out of bounds, in a running play the clock does not normally stop.

Using this as a yardstick, one might say the results of the defense in 2014 was beholding to the offense and their success to a degree.

Marinelli surely went into that game with an idea how he was going to defense the Packers.. And since they are, at times, the epitome of what a passing attack is in this era, Marinelli elected to protect his defense from big plays by being conservative and stopping the pass at the point of attack instead of the point of conception.

So to a degree, the game plan was created to stop a potent Packer team that employs a timing based attack and throws on a rhythm.

However, Rodgers was wounded, and struggled in the first half. To my way of thinking, putting a defender in his face, and knocking him down at every turn would have positioned the team for a better results than playing what amounted to a prevent defense.

Now my personal feeling is Marinelli was playing with scared money. Jimmy Johnson did some of the things in the NFC Championship game during the 1992 campaign. Barry Switzer did in 1995. He went for it on fourth down and did not get the first down. Same as the Eagles game in 1995. But Jimmy was a huge proponent of playing calculated risks for the big pay-off.

In my mind body checking Rodgers against the boards in the first half causing him to think about his injury and not get into any type of rhythm would have been a better attack on the part of Dallas.

The Cowboys lost anyway. So why not push all the chips into the middle of the table and go for all-out.

In a fist fight against a larger opponent, you always want him moving backwards away from your attack. I think Dallas covered up and played not to get hit.

But this is merely an opinion of a fat guy that watches on TV and not some sage poster here who had a hand in inventing football. (That was not a shot at you, by the way)

I agree on this, and marinelli does the same thing in other games, which is why they get scored on late in games and lose.

About the GB game, one thing is not many teams can stop Rodgers when he gets rolling, so theres that.
Just because they scored 27 points on us doesnt mean our defense was horrible, just not great.
I think the offense was to blame as much as the defense.
Dallas needed to score more than they did to expect to win in GB.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score

In a cliff notes version (lol), I totally agree with you. I thought we played scared with our defensive game plan in that game. But actually that is how Marinelli plays ball. Bend but don't break. Waiting for the other team to make a mistake and Aaron never made a mistake that game.

Several months ago I wrote this in a post:

"Let me add to that. I recently watched our last game against the Skins and I gotta tell you I was shocked at how Kirk picked our secondary apart. It had nothing to do with the pass rush as he was getting the ball out hot. He took the snap, dropped back three steps and released the ball. On eight throws it was like 21 - 0 before the end of the first quarter. He read our zones and dropped the ball in every crease. It was embarrassing.

Ronde Barber was one of the commentators and he stated that Kirk was picking that zone apart and he had noticed teams were having success doing that against us. We keep complaining about our pass rush and our secondary but is it the scheme?"

Again a wrote that several months ago. As you can see I am worried about our scheme being outdated or that the play calling is so mundane that it's easy to read and react to.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Rue McClanahan. We will definitely rue passing on Rue McClanahan.

rue-mcclanahan-net-worth.jpg

Sydla

Reaction score
Mills was a guy who I really think we should have tried to get.

It stinks that he ended up in Philly. I think he's going to end up being a very good player in this league.

And if Smith never plays, and a guy like Jack or Spence takes off............. oh boy.

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
Can we sticky this? It's like a template for complaints :laugh:

1. Ramsey - had he been the pick the media would be criticizing about drafting him after learning he had microfracture in high school along with not being an interception guy and a better fit at FS over CB like Byron.

2. Lynch - the media would have reemed them over spending two picks on a player that they won't know what they got for another 3-4 years.

3. Jack - would have claimed nobody else was going to take this high because his knee has a short shelf life.

4. Spence - criticism would be why are they drafting another DE with drug issues? What about RKG?

5. Cook - not like they actually passed on him, 3rd was too high. But they would point out his not being team captain and how he's not a likeable guy by teammates.

6. Billings - they would point out Cowboys already spent for a free agent 1 tech, and when Billings wouldn't get much playing time due to backing up and possible 3rd string they would blame for drafting at an area that wasn't needed.

7. Jones - this guy may be the most over-rated qb by the media. A lot of criticism would be just how raw he is and how poorly he looks.

8. Blair - criticism would be another DE? You passed on a development QB for another year? What happens when Gregory & Lawrence come back?

9. Mills - punched his girlfriend. Another what about RKG? Also had injuries and slow 40 (4.61)

10. Matakevich - how does he fit in a Marinelli scheme that needs guys who can run?