DMN: Aikman on Pacman's Return: 'An absolute mistake'

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Aikman on Pacman's return: 'An absolute mistake'
6:58 AM Tue, Nov 25, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Barry Horn E-mail News tips

Troy Aikman visited Tim Brando's Sporting News Radio show on Monday and re-affirmed he doesn't have "Pacman Fever."

"I don't know why they are bringing him back," said Aikman, who will call Pacman's scheduled return for Fox on Dec. 7 in Pittsburgh. "I just think that is an absolute mistake. The players won't say it ...I sense players don't want him back...On the field he didn't help them in the return game, which is really where he was supposed to help them, and teams targeted him in pass defense. He was confused out there on the field. So there really isn't anything he did as a player that warranted another chance by the oraganzaztion or at least maybe taking another risk on him. Who knows maybe he comes back and helps this team. I just don't see it."

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Just goes to show you that it's difficult to evaluate defensive back talent. Troy doesn't think he performed on the field, but in fact he was our best corner while he played.

khiladi

Reaction score
ajk23az;2442292 said:
Aikman on Pacman's return: 'An absolute mistake'
6:58 AM Tue, Nov 25, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Barry Horn E-mail News tips

Troy Aikman visited Tim Brando's Sporting News Radio show on Monday and re-affirmed he doesn't have "Pacman Fever."

"I don't know why they are bringing him back," said Aikman, who will call Pacman's scheduled return for Fox on Dec. 7 in Pittsburgh. "I just think that is an absolute mistake. The players won't say it ...I sense players don't want him back...On the field he didn't help them in the return game, which is really where he was supposed to help them, and teams targeted him in pass defense. He was confused out there on the field. So there really isn't anything he did as a player that warranted another chance by the oraganzaztion or at least maybe taking another risk on him. Who knows maybe he comes back and helps this team. I just don't see it."

Funny that Aikman hasn't called out our special teams coach, who has his team not even being to create a basic wedge...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
theogt;2442319 said:
Just goes to show you that it's difficult to evaluate defensive back talent. Troy doesn't think he performed on the field, but in fact he was our best corner while he played.

Yeah but according to many Henry sucks and the rookies were raw. Saying he was the best at that time may not be that big of a compliment after all the defense was not playing that great during that time. As for his return ability he did nothing. Rookies are coming around and Newman is back. I understand why Jerry is willing to bring him back but given his talent of finding trouble how long will it be before we are right back at the status quos and is it worth sitting Jenkins or Scandrick who actually have a future with this club

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Why is it that Troy never spoke out against Leon Lett coming back to the Cowboys? :huh: Or Michael Irvin?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2442328 said:
Yeah but according to many Henry sucks and the rookies were raw. Saying he was the best at that time may not be that big of a compliment after all the defense was not playing that great during that time. As for his return ability he did nothing. Rookies are coming around and Newman is back. I understand why Jerry is willing to bring him back but given his talent of finding trouble how long will it be before we are right back at the status quos and is it worth sitting Jenkins or Scandrick who actually have a future with this club
The rookies are coming around? Maybe Scandrick, but Jenkins is hurt. And Henry's still starting from what I can tell.

Regardless, Pacman's pass defense stats were impressive in and of themselves.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Wow. He couldn't be more wrong about Pacman's play. He was pretty damn good out there and was getting better all the time. He wasn't perfect, but him along with a healthy Newman will be quite the duo.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
speedkilz88;2442331 said:
Why is it that Troy never spoke out against Leon Lett coming back to the Cowboys? :huh:

Because Troy was a member of the team, players on a team will seldom attack a teammate in front of the media. There is a big difference being a member of a team and being a media personality

WarC

Reaction score
I'll be surprised if he's still around come playoff time.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
theogt;2442334 said:
The rookies are coming around? Maybe Scandrick, but Jenkins is hurt. And Henry's still starting from what I can tell.

Regardless, Pacman's pass defense stats were impressive in and of themselves.

Jenkins will miss this upcoming game and should return after this game. Pacman pass defense was not great the defense played bad so don't give me that crud of how good he was. Pacman is nothing but trouble and a waste of time, he has shown that over and over. As for his returns he avg 5 yards hell Crayton who every one blast avgs 11 yards a carry that is over twice what Pacman was doing

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Well we'll see what he does this time around. Maybe he improves, and doesn't get in anymore trouble, but I know this. I'd certainly take Troy's evaluation over how a DB played over 99.9% of the people on any fan forum.

No offense to the folks here but the guy played the game and played against some darn good DBs so I'm sure he can watch a guy and know whether the guy can be attacked and what can be done on the guy. Which I would guess would be where he's getting that opinion from is the QB in him that says "This is what we can do on this guy."

That, to me, is far more valuable in terms of how well a guy is playing, or not playing, than some fans on a message board, including myself.

While I didn't want Jones I certainly didn't think he was playing badly when he was here CB. I don't think he was playing great, or all world like some around here seemed to think he would, or did, but he wasn't bad.

But, again, I'm a fan. I've never played NFL ball. I haven't got the experience to watch a guy like a QB has and know a little bit more about what they are, or aren't doing.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2442339 said:
Because Troy was a member of the team, players on a team will seldom attack a teammate in front of the media. There is a big difference being a member of a team and being a media personality

Correct. He even sort of made that clear by saying the players won't say it. They won't, even if that is how they feel, because he's their teammate. The majority of NFL players are probably not going to throw their teammates under a bus.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Ozzu;2442338 said:
Wow. He couldn't be more wrong about Pacman's play. He was pretty damn good out there and was getting better all the time. He wasn't perfect, but him along with a healthy Newman will be quite the duo.

I agree somewhat. He looked like he could turn the corner on the field... he was closing to a pick6 2x that I remember...

BUT... Troy is right also... he DID look confused and he WAS targeted

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2442346 said:
Jenkins will miss this upcoming game and should return after this game. Pacman pass defense was not great the defense played bad so don't give me that crud of how good he was. Pacman is nothing but trouble and a waste of time, he has shown that over and over. As for his returns he avg 5 yards hell Crayton who every one blast avgs 11 yards a carry that is over twice what Pacman was doing
Uhhh...actually Pacman's pass defense was extremely good. That's not even debatable.

Adam "Pacman" Jones
21-of-42 (50%), 216 yards, 5.1 ypa, 7 PBU, 0 INT, 1 pass interference

Jenkins has been pretty disappointing, however. Fortunately, we drafted at least one starting quality corner in 2008.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2442352 said:
Correct. He even sort of made that clear by saying the players won't say it. They won't, even if that is how they feel, because he's their teammate. The majority of NFL players are probably not going to throw their teammates under a bus.

That is right most players stay out of that, it does nothing but cause problems when you speak out against a teammate and so most do not get involved with Management decisions. I have no doubt there will be members of the team who like Pacman and want him back but there will be some players who don't. Bottom line is he will be back and hopefully he can do something for the Cowboys before he is once again gone.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
theogt;2442363 said:
Uhhh...actually Pacman's pass defense was extremely good. That's not even debatable.

Adam "Pacman" Jones
21-of-42 (50%), 216 yards, 5.1 ypa, 7 PBU, 0 INT, 1 pass interference

Yes it is debatable and others who do cover the NFL have said the same the only ones defending the great play of Pacman has been some Cowboy fans outside of that not many were overly impressed and continue to say well he is just rusty.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2442367 said:
Yes it is debatable and others who do cover the NFL have said the same the only ones defending the great play of Pacman has been some Cowboy fans outside of that not many were overly impressed and continue to say well he is just rusty.
LOL. Whatever, guy. I just showed you the numbers.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
speedkilz88;2442331 said:
Why is it that Troy never spoke out against Leon Lett coming back to the Cowboys? :huh: Or Michael Irvin?

When you get older, you become less tolerant of many things.

Yes, I'm speaking from experience. :)