DMN: Aikman on Pacman's Return: 'An absolute mistake'

Doomsday101

Reaction score
YoMick;2442417 said:
There is no way he is in the NFL next season.

I am taking all bets of all sizes.

I agree, I don't think the guy is smart enough to figure it out and his fans clearly can't figure it out

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2442413 said:
I agree Pacman is better than Ball but Pacman is worthless if he can't stay on the field which was the point of throwing Ball into the mix. A suspended player has no value to a team. Jerry has made his choice and Pacman will return, how long? who knows but I would hope this will be the last season Dallas deals with him because frankly he is not worth the trouble to the team you are better off looking at someone else

You play the better player regardless. This isn't about "looking at" anyone. It is about playing your best and winning. We can't afford to play inferior players because we are scared that the better player won't be around long.

One could have assumed that Kosier was just going to injure his foot again, but that's no reason to continue playing Proctor because you feared losing him again.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
If the guy can stay out of trouble, and continue to improve, then I bet he will be here again next year and the reason is that he's young, has experience, and most importantly of all is that he's cheap.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I don't mind him coming back but there is no way I make him the starter over Henry, period, and I know Henry is not playing that well. I would start Jenkins over Henry when healthy but not Pacman.

Pacman should just be insurance at this point in the season and with his uncertain status.

I don't think it hurts the team that he is allowed back, but a team that is just learning to trust each other does not need to have a starter who goes out every game replaced by someone you can't count on.

JMO

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Alexander;2442425 said:
You play the better player regardless. This isn't about "looking at" anyone. It is about playing your best and winning. We can't afford to play inferior players because we are scared that the better player won't be around long.

One could have assumed that Kosier was just going to injure his foot again, but that's no reason to continue playing Proctor because you feared losing him again.

I agree and I would have have Newman and Jenkins out there as my starters. along with Scandrick because they do have a future with this team and are developing just as the Giants did last year with their rookie players in the secondary and the more they played the better they did.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
ajk23az;2442292 said:
Aikman on Pacman's return: 'An absolute mistake'
6:58 AM Tue, Nov 25, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Barry Horn E-mail News tips

Troy Aikman visited Tim Brando's Sporting News Radio show on Monday and re-affirmed he doesn't have "Pacman Fever."

"I don't know why they are bringing him back," said Aikman, who will call Pacman's scheduled return for Fox on Dec. 7 in Pittsburgh. "I just think that is an absolute mistake. The players won't say it ...I sense players don't want him back...On the field he didn't help them in the return game, which is really where he was supposed to help them, and teams targeted him in pass defense. He was confused out there on the field. So there really isn't anything he did as a player that warranted another chance by the oraganzaztion or at least maybe taking another risk on him. Who knows maybe he comes back and helps this team. I just don't see it."

Really, i sometimes like Aikman as a moderator. For example his comments in the game againast the 49ers were very funny to me. Like at the end of the first half when Brady laid that big hit on one of the 49er players and Aikman said that the Qb was trying to get another play off and the whole team looked like "hey let's call it a half we had enough" :laugh2:

But this comment here just shows that he did not make his homework. Pacman played well for us as a CB. If Aikman had watched the last games Pacman played for us and not only the first one he would have noticed that.

And most of all we are in need of CBs bad. Aikman seems to ignore that. Even team leaders like Ellis or Newman were OK with the return of Pacman, so i don't really sense something like an unwillingness by the players to have Pacman back.

Sorry, buty ou can do better Aikman!

Padd

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2442322 said:
As much as I like Troy the player, I distrust Troy the talent evaluator.

Look no further than David LaFleur. :bang2:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Padd;2442456 said:
Look no further than David LaFleur. :bang2:

Troy did not pick Laflure that is the biggest misnomer out there. He was brought in by Jerry to throw passes to LaFlure during his visit prior to the draft. He did not suggest the selection of LaFlure nor did he lobby for LaFlure

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2442322 said:
As much as I like Troy the player, I distrust Troy the talent evaluator.

Troy was an AWESOME talent eval guy.

David LaFleur !! Hello !!! Don't you remember him? He played lights out for Dallas.

Best TE ever.

Thanks Troy

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2442462 said:
Troy did not pick Laflure that is the biggest misnomer out there. He was brought in by Jerry to throw passes to LaFlure during his visit prior to the draft. He did not suggest the selection of LaFlure nor did he lobby for LaFlure

I think at that time Troy said DL fit Dallas better because he was more of a blocking TE that could catch.

Bye bye TG. We hardly knew you.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
speedkilz88;2442331 said:
Why is it that Troy never spoke out against Leon Lett coming back to the Cowboys? :huh: Or Michael Irvin?

He's going with the safe call. With the national percentage. No one wants to say it's a good move and go out on the limb. Because if he does screw up. Everyone wants be able to say they were right.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dallas;2442475 said:
I think at that time Troy said DL fit Dallas better because he was more of a blocking TE that could catch.

Bye bye TG. We hardly knew you.

Troy himself when asked about DL being selected said he had nothing to do with it, he was asked to come in and throw passes to him during DL visit that was it. Some in the media made more of that then there was.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

This snip from a Chicago Sun-Times 1997 article states otherwise:

Quarterback Troy Aikman was part of the process as the Dallas Cowboys prepared for the 1997 draft. The team recruited him to work out prospective picks.
LSU tight end David LaFleur became the team's 1997 first-round choice with Aikman's approval.

Here is more supporting "evidence":
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/news/story?id=3325995
http://www.cowboysplus.com/classic/recordbook/draft/1997/042097draft.html

Regardless if you believe he endorsed the selection (I believe he did), the idea was to get him a TE immediately because of Novacek's departure. That was part of the issue with Aikman, we sometimes went too far trying to make sure he had his comfort zones maintained.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Alexander;2442504 said:

Quarterback Troy Aikman was part of the process as the Dallas Cowboys prepared for the 1997 draft. The team recruited him to work out prospective picks.
LSU tight end David LaFleur became the team's 1997 first-round choice with Aikman's approval.

Regardless if you believe he endorsed the selection (I believe he did), the idea was to get him a TE immediately because of Novacek's departure. That was part of the issue with Aikman, we sometimes went too far trying to make sure he had his comfort zones maintained.

As I said the media reported that but Aikman said it was not true, because media prints something does not make it fact. Yes he went out and worked with DL he did not make the selection nor did he push for the selection. That according to what I heard Troy say. If you think other wise well that is fine, but I think Troy would know better of what his real involvement was in the process

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Alexander;2442504 said:

From the Dallasnews article ....

Although most draft experts had California tight end Tony Gonzalez ranked as the draft's top tight end, the Cowboys had LaFleur rated higher.

Yikes.

SI had an article about those workouts, and I remember Troy liking Gonzales and Ike Hilliard, as well.

Like Billy Cannon Jr. and Robert Shaw before him, I think injuries helped contribute to LaFleur's flameout.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Alexander;2442504 said:
That was part of the issue with Aikman, we sometimes went too far trying to make sure he had his comfort zones maintained.

I agree.

Jerry has a tendency to do that with his star players, but it was certainly the case with Aikman.

As fans, we were in a no-win situation then. Who do you want making your first pick?

Aikman

or

Lacewell

goshan

Reaction score
Pacman played pretty good.
But I would not have him back because his upside/talent isn't worth the distraction or risk when/if he screws up again.

If he were a game breaker as a returner, I may think differently. But so far anyway as a Cowboy, he wasn't close to having the pure athleticism to be that game breaker. As a retuner, his speed and quickness were lacking, much less the vision issue that was more obvious.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score

Nope. Aikman signed off on LaFleur. You cannot fault him for David though. He wasn't the only one who wanted him and David was never healthy. That was the one thing I can find fault with. He had back problems in college. There is no reason to pick a guy like that IMO.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
jobberone;2442553 said:
Nope. Aikman signed off on LaFleur. You cannot fault him for David though. He wasn't the only one who wanted him and David was never healthy. That was the one thing I can find fault with. He had back problems in college. There is no reason to pick a guy like that IMO.

As I said I listed to what Troy said, if I find the artical I'll be sure to post it but at least in the interview I saw with Troy on this subject he said more was made of it than there really was. The media jumped on it and ran with it.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2442423 said:
I agree, I don't think the guy is smart enough to figure it out and his fans clearly can't figure it out

I understand that he grew up in difficult surroundings. Its not easy for some to get past that.

I do wonder if he should have been going for "Anger Management" Therapy instead of the bogus alcohol nonsense.