DMN Blog: Breer: My Sleeper (Ray Rice)

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
My sleeper

12:38 PM Thu, Mar 13, 2008 | Permalink
Albert Breer http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

A couple days ago, I posted that the Cowboys' biggest need is in the secondary, and that tailback is third, also behind receiver.

And I got some emails on that. I know the Cowboys don't have a single tailback under contract. So my response there is that Marion Barber will be, and that means unless the absolute right guy is there, there's no need to select a running back in the first round.

Want another reason why? Check out the video above. And know that you can get Ray Rice with your second-round pick.

To me, he'll be a better pro than Chris Johnson, Jamaal Charles and the rest of the second-round prospects (although I'm going to have to take a closer look at UCF's Kevin Smith ... who intrigues me).

In fact, I think he's going to be a better pro than Felix Jones, too. Now, I think this draft has three elite backs in it -- Rashard Mendenhall, Darren McFadden and Jonathan Stewart -- and from there, it becomes a matter of opinion.

What I know about Rice is that he's got off-the-charts run vision (perhaps the most underrated quality at this position), plays low to the ground, absorbs contact and keeps moving forward, and is explosive in short areas. And he was enormously productive in college. And he played in a convential offense, making the translation to the pros more applicable. The biggest knock I've found on him is his height. Which is ridiculous.

Since when does a tailback need to be tall? I happen to remember back when the three best backs in the league were 5-10 or shorter, those -- at the time -- being Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas.

Either way, my point here is that the Cowboys can address needs at corner and receiver in Round 1, and then take care of tailback in the second round. Barber's the mailcarrier here. Fact is, you only start one player at his position. At corner and receiver, you start two guys.

Is that simplifying it? Sure. And if Mendenhall or Stewart is available at 22, which they won't be, then I wouldn't argue with picking either one. Otherwise, either address the other concerns or go for the best player available. That's the way you're going to get the most out of your picks.

UPDATE: Let me throw this out there -- if you get Malcolm Kelly, Antoine Cason and Rice, in that order, with your first three picks, you've done well.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
theogt;1997162 said:
UPDATE: Let me throw this out there -- if you get Malcolm Kelly, Antoine Cason and Rice, in that order, with your first three picks, you've done well.

If you win the lottery, you've done well.

Rice a sleeper? What exactly does that mean? Does that mean Malcolm Kelly is a sleeper too? I mean, he won't go first overall, but he is still highly touted.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Breer isn't as dumb as he looks.

...although I wouldn't call Rice a "sleeper". I wish it were the case though.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Here's the video that was with the blog post. Compare that video with the Felix Jones video in terms of how many clips of tough runs up the middle.

Rice will be the most productive back out of this class. There's no way he lasts til our 2nd round pick.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
theogt;1997174 said:
Here's the video that was with the blog post. Compare that video with the Felix Jones video in terms of how many clips of tough runs up the middle.

Rice will be the most productive back out of this class. There's no way he lasts til our 2nd round pick.

That's a good video. I can't see how people can claim this guy is slow in pads.

They see that youtube video of him getting run down from behind twice...by DB's nontheless...after 30-40 yard gains....and they think he's "slow". :rolleyes:

I love the way this guy runs. Takes his time to set up blocks, lets the holes develop, and then has a good burst through the line. He runs pretty low too. He'd be a steal at our position in the second round.

visionary

Reaction score
Rice is the guy i want, i can 'see' it happening :eek:
i will never understand posters that are enamored with a 'complementary' back like jones or johnson. so what happens if MBIII gets hurt?
no thanx, give me Rice in round 2 and i will be happy (as long as I also get what I want in round 1) :laugh2:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I would LOVE Rice in the 2nd. I don't see any way he'll still be there at our pick, though. If we want to go CB/WR in round 1, then to insure we get Rice in the second, we'll have to move up into the first half of the second round, IMO.

Rice has the intangibles a RB needs. He'll be a good one.

Kobal

Reaction score
AsthmaField;1997205 said:
I would LOVE Rice in the 2nd. I don't see any way he'll still be there at our pick, though. If we want to go CB/WR in round 1, then to insure we get Rice in the second, we'll have to move up into the first half of the second round, IMO.

Rice has the intangibles a RB needs. He'll be a good one.

:hammer: :pray:

ddh33

Reaction score
Once again, he's a guy I would be fine with. I'm skeptical he's going to be there late in the second though. But all of this talk about a lack of speed doesn't bother me about a lot of these guys. I want football players.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1997174 said:

you can't possibly know that before you see what team he goes to

you're becoming Nors, man

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
this is what i would do;
if you get Malcolm Kelly, Antoine Cason and Rice, in that order, with your first three picks, you've done well, I DONT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH RAY RICE, BUT NO WAY WILL HE LAST TILL OUR PICK IN 2ND ROUND, IN FACT IF YOU LOOK AT THEHUDDLEREPORT HE SAYS OUT OF THE RBS, RAY RICE IS BEST, ONLY KNOCK ON HIM THAT I HAVE FOUNDIS HIS SHOULDER INJURY AND HIS CARRIES THAT LAST 3 YEARS; BUT I LIKE HIM AS OUR BACKUP TO BARBER

NO! NO! NO!
cason is too slow, kelly hasnt proved that much, granted we need a cornerback bad, and a wr, then a running back, doesnt matter in which order, but you need to get the best player there,

now this is what i think the cowboys need to do; first trade up alittle and get the cornerback DCQ, RODGERS-CROMARTIE from grambling, he is going to be something special, cason's stock is falling, and he is a little slow. then, the cowboys need to trade down with either miami or atlanta, get their 2nd, 3rd and 5th pick for our 28th, now if a super player is there when you picking, stay there, but from what i have viewed he wont, and you can get a good player with miamis top 2nd pick or atlantas, most likely if atlanta doesnt take a qb in 1st round, they will want a qb in 2nd round or low 1st.

then, as far as ray rice, he wont be there when we pick with our 2nd round pick, but he would be with miamis high pick or atlantas, then you would have 2 picks extra for that trade, with that extra 3rd you can get a fullback or a defense tackle like red from a&m, we need a big nose tackle, i dont care what wade phillips said, your nose tackle needs to clog the middle of defense, also, that would with the extra pick allow you to get that big fullback owen schmidt, with the other 3rd pick, i would take a flyer on dexter jackson, he is a dangerous punt returner and kickoff guy, and he would be dynamite in the slot, with his 4.27 to 4.37 in the 40, kinda like wes welker was with new england, thats what the cowboys need a good speed burner to replace terry glenn, whom cant cut now due to knee injury.

granted kevin smith is intriguing, he reminds me of a franco harris a big back that doesnt play to speed when timed etc, but when he plays football the lights come on, now you can get him in the 2nd round too and the cowboys are looking at him

i think also the cowboys will try to get packman jones if commissioner goodell lets him play this year, you can get him with a 5th round pick, that pick that you make the trade for with atlanta or miami would be that pick, then you have your own 5th rounder to get someone that interests you.

22nd pick or trade up to 17th or so to get 1 --RODGERS Dominique TNNst 6- 1.4...184...4.33 -------- 484.48
RODGERS-CROMARTIE as good as he seems, you can't make this stuff up" -24' 7" long Jump, also a fine football player with upside, A report 4.28
high 2nd rounder with trade to miami or atlanta
ray rice or a wr,

our 2nd rounder ray rice if there or kevin smith or wr like
3 --THOMAS Devin Michigan St 6- 1.9...217...4.40 -------- 440.07
Great Upside, 60+ in -07, 6 catches in 06, Blocks well. Trains Hard, Fine Return Man
4 --JACKSON DeSean CAL-BERKLEY 5- 9.6...169...4.31 -------- 432.83
Terrific Athlete, DB or WR, awesome punt Returner, Teddy Ginn Clone
5 --CALDWELL Andre FLOR 6- 0.0...204...4.31 -------- 425.55
57r +6 TDs in 06, 43r+ 3 TDs in 04, Broken Femur in Tenn Game 05 or THIS KID --NELSON Jordy Kansas St 6- 2.0...215...4.49 -------- 409.42
Gret hands and desire , a little stiff , Dependable, 49r + 8 TD in 05 ,Awesome Walk-on, Speed 10.63-100m ,. How do get Walk-on like this?? A QB's security blanket,

atlantas 3rd or miamis 3rd trade;
6 --BRYANT Joseph "Red" Texas A&M 6- 4.0...324...4.98 -------- 387.36
RS-03, 4.85 at 320 IBs, Knee Surg Nov 06, Gets good movement

our 3rd pick owen schmidt or dexter jackson
our 4th pick one of the above

high miamis or atlanta pick;
big nast OG, or ILB

rest is players you take gambles on,

FCBarca

Reaction score
I'll say this...Despite the rush to always compare prospects to former NFL players, I see the comparisons of Rice to MJDrew...I see it but it's only a slight similarity, IMHO...He's got a pretty good 1st gear but has no extra gear to fly by anyone really...I don't see him as a home run hitter.

Plus, the guy was a crazy workhorse for Rutgers...Gotta wonder if he has what it takes to continue to be an NFL RB...He is tough though and sometimes takes hit a lot like Barber.

I can think of 2 or 3 other backs I'd rather have (Mendenhall, Forte & Chris Johnson).

Woods

Reaction score
Vintage;1997253 said:
No way Rice is there for our 2nd round pick.

Ditto.

We'll have to move up to get him in the 2nd Round.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
how is Antoine Cason too slow? he ran under a 4.5 at 200lbs. and did you catch his short-shuttle and 3-cone drill times? I believe they were 4.05 and 6.7 something, respectively

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Rice could be the better pro, but it doesn't mean that somebody like Johnson cannot be a better fit. If a player like Rice came to Dallas and is a pretty good tailback that can carry the load, that would be nice. But Johnson might be a slightly lesser tailback that can't carry the load, but an effective weapon going out for passes and a change of pace.

It's kind of like saying that there were better tailbacks than Dave Meggett, but with the Giants already secure at the tailback spot, Meggett fit much better for what the G-Men needed.

YAKUZA