DMN Blog: Breer: My Sleeper (Ray Rice)

This is Our Year

Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike
Reaction score
I wouldn't call a mid 2nd round pick a sleeper IMO.......... Now a guy that gets drafted in the 6-7th round that is a sleeper....... A Marques Colsten type.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
This is Our Year;1997331 said:
I wouldn't call a mid 2nd round pick a sleeper IMO.......... Now a guy that gets drafted in the 6-7th round that is a sleeper....... A Marques Colsten type.

I see what you are saying. But in this case I think the "sleeper" label works since this is a pretty loaded RB class and Rice is pretty much an afterthought because of guys like Stewart, Mendenhall, Johnson, K. Smith and of course, McFadden.

YAKUZA

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1997256 said:
you can't possibly know that before you see what team he goes to

you're becoming Nors, man
You mean, I don't know the future? Wow, thanks for informing me.

Sometimes you can be really dense. And you're becoming...well, you're still you.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1997343 said:
You mean, I don't know the future? Wow, thanks for informing me.

Sometimes you can be really dense. And you're becoming...well, you're still you.

don't state absolutes, or stupid

and you won't get called on them

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
He looks good.

I will continue to beat a dead horse and say that I hope the team doesnt fall trap to thinking we need just a fast speed guy to come in and backup barber.

I hope the thought process is hey we are using a 1st or 2nd round pick on a back, so it better be a big time take it 20 times a game all around back. A guy who can stand on his own.

Obviously knowing he doesnt have to do that shouldnt stop us from getting a guy who can.

Rice does look good.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I don't know how realisitc it will be, but ideally it would be great to move the second first rounder for an early second rounder (plus either a third or a second next season) in order to take someone like Patrick Lee and than with the second pick in the round you can move up a few spots to take Rice, who I agree, will be a very solid back for a long time.

1a.Limas Sweed or Kelly???
2a.Patrick Lee
2b.Ray Rice
3. Atyba Rubin

Ashwynn

Reaction score
Anyone of the 2nd tier backs would be fine. Rice, Charles, Jones, Johnson, I am prolly forgetting someone but I mean him too. I would be happy with any of these in the 2nd.

:starspin

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Ashwynn;1997502 said:
Anyone of the 2nd tier backs would be fine. Rice, Charles, Jones, Johnson, I am prolly forgetting someone but I mean him too. I would be happy with any of these in the 2nd.

:starspin

I agree, I really like all 4. Johnson and Rice a bit more then Jones and Charles but with our second round pick all 4 would provide good value.

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
I would love it if Rice was the RB we picked up in the draft.

Ya never know how certain players are going to go in the draft...it could happen in the 2nd at our pick, but I agree it sound doubtdul...but Stephen Jackson fell, Jason Witten fell...

I'd be ok with trading up in the 2nd for him if it didn't cost much.

pgreptom

Reaction score
Breer always submits good content. His break downs during the year were par to none. Good stuff.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Well, if he is projected to be a second round pick but one thinks he is the best RB in the class then I would call that a sleeper and I think that is what he is saying.

That said, like a few others, to get him in the second I ythink we would have to move way up. I will be fine with him at 28.

I was all for trading away some late round picks to move up in some of these rounds but with the way we have lost some special teamers (Reeves,Jones and Davis) we might need to use those late rounders to pick up some guys that excel in that area.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1997174 said:
Here's the video that was with the blog post. Compare that video with the Felix Jones video in terms of how many clips of tough runs up the middle.

Rice will be the most productive back out of this class. There's no way he lasts til our 2nd round pick.

sorry theres a running back called DMAC in this draft and this is the NFL not college RB's don't run the ball 380 times in a season. Ray Rice being considered a sleeper is a joke he has to be the most overrated RB i n the draft.

aikemirv

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;1997931 said:
sorry theres a running back called DMAC in this draft and this is the NFL not college RB's don't run the ball 380 times in a season. Ray Rice being considered a sleeper is a joke he has to be the most overrated RB i n the draft.

You are right, this is the NFL and you better bring more than speed to the playing field because everyone there has it.

Overated huh, I guess we will see won't we.:rolleyes:

Sandyf

Reaction score
I disagree with Breer. I believe our needs are CB then RB then WR then CB again. Not saying we don't need a WR, just not one in the first.

None of these WRs in the draft have shown to be anywhere near a Braylon Edwards or C. Johnson out of Detroit, heck really not even Dwayne Bowe from last year. So there will be good WRs in the second round.

Now to RBs, Ray Rice is okay but I keep thinking we need a compliment to Barber, one with breakaway speed. Rice is fast with a 4.4 in the 40 but Barber ran a 4.53 at the combine. I am not sure how many runs over 30 years Rice had. He has a ton of positives but one of his negatives is that he has a lack of sudden burst and can be caught from behind. One of the positives I really like is that he compares to Emmitt Smith. Both of the last two statements were also said of Barber.

So do we need two of the same style backs or someone like a Felix Jones who compares more with a Tony Dorsett and best know for taking it to the house. He also excels in KR and PR, which if I remember correctly would hurt to have either.

Now CB still is MY top concern because I do believe we can get a quality WR and RB in the second round. AND I believe what Jerry will do IF we don't move up to get McFadden is take a CB at 22 then trade out of the 1st with the 28th pick and pick up either two high seconds (assuming a player may be involved ---- something like #28, #92, and Ayodele to Atlanta for #37 and #49 especially if Atlanta passes on Ryan at #3 and Brohm is available at 28) or some combination in order to draft a RB and WR in the 1st half of the second round. If a trade like that comes and we keep our second, then I could easily see something like Felix Jones at 37, Devin Thomas at 49 (not buying the hype of him moving into the 1st) and either a Terrell Thomas CB or another CB or even a Red Bryant NT at 61.

Guess we will know in 42 days.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
Jack: Who was your favorite RB growing up?

Ray Rice: My favorite RB was Emmitt Smith. I idolized him because he was a smaller back, and he reminded me a lot of myself. And he was a hard-nosed runner who could get in the open field.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
This point may be moot, but in that video, you did not see him break a long run for a TD once. Emmitt wasn't the fastest guy on the field, but he did have the speed to break away.

Also note this video, which is to promote this player shows plays where a safety ankle tackles him. Fact is, several plays he was tackled by one player, and DB's who didn't take the best angle.

I don't know what his future will hold. But if you do not have top NFL speed, and are short, you better be ellusive and can break arm tackles routinely. Emmitt made his living off of pushing the hand tackle away and breaking it.

Rice looks tough, but small and slow don't equate to Emmitt unless you toss in difficult to tackle. I didn't see that in this video.

I could be wrong. But if I am spending a second round pick or above for a change-of-pace to Barber, the guy better have outstanding speed. Because after taking your arse-whoopin' from the Barbarian, it would be nice to run the defense to death trying to catch a really fast guy.

Just my opinion.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How is Ray Rice a sleeper?

Anyways - I love the guy + would be very happy if we snagged him in the second round.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
theogt;1997174 said:
Here's the video that was with the blog post. Compare that video with the Felix Jones video in terms of how many clips of tough runs up the middle.

Rice will be the most productive back out of this class. There's no way he lasts til our 2nd round pick.

unless McFadden has a tragic injury, I just cant see it

McFadden's bigger, faster, more versatile and has huge production against great talent

David

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
TwoDeep3;1998355 said:
Rice looks tough, but small and slow don't equate to Emmitt unless you toss in difficult to tackle. I didn't see that in this video.

He's not slow. Jeebus.