WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Newman returns

1:56 PM Thu, Dec 13, 2007 | Permalink
Albert Breer E-mail News tips

After spending Wednesday's practice on a stationary bike, Terence Newman returned to regular work -- or something akin to it -- with his teammates. Didn't seem limited much, either, during a workout held inside the fieldhouse (practice fields are still soaked) in shorts and shells.

As for Terry Glenn, the receiver was in sweats and got limited reps in the team's passing lines. But once individuals ended, so did the any work we saw 83 do.

The real news on Glenn was his choice of headwear. Yesterday, he wore a hat adorned with the logo of The Ohio State University. Today, it was a Cowboys hat with the tags still on it. Clearly, someone in this organization is so drunk with power that they robbed poor Terry of his Buckeye gear. There's no other explanation for this.

Stew checks in

2:25 PM Thu, Dec 13, 2007 | Permalink
Albert Breer E-mail News tips

Defensive coordinator Brian Stewart talked to the media today a little bit about his unit's issues in Motown this weekend.

And he did allow that the element of surprise played a part in the pass-heavy Lions being able to shove the ball down the Cowboys' throats early on. Stewart was quick to mention, too, that he didn't feel it was the players' faults (just minutes after Roy Williams jumped on that grenade, actually).

"We went in and players executed their gameplan," Stewart said. "They executed their game plan against Green Bay and the quarterback ended up not being able to finish the game. Matter of fact, he had one of his worst ratings ever. And then going into this game against Detroit, they ran the ball more than we anticipated, they wanted to stick with that.

"So that’s fine, as long as our guys go through the gameplan we put forth, it’s on me to do the adjusting."

In the long run, the DC of the DC said, these experiences will pay dividends. At some point, his train of thought went, someone's going to throw the unexpected at you.

Better to be caught a bit off-guard by it now than later.

"That’s always good experience," Stewart said. "Because you say, 'OK, now they’re doing this and we’re going to have do this. Or they’re doing this, and we’re going to have to do that.' If anybody would’ve said the Detroit Lions were going to run the ball as much as they did, I don’t think anyone would’ve believed it. So we had to adjust."

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
DCBoysfan;1831346 said:
DC Stewart was a very good hire

the jury is out on him I think...nobody knows for sure other than him and Wade what he does during the week or the games themselves in terms of planning and calling plays

nobody in San Diego was sad to see him go as I recall

David

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
DCBoysfan;1831346 said:
DC Stewart was a very good hire
I think so too. I am pleased with the entire staff. First time in a very long time I could say that.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
That’s what i don’t get is...i knew Detroit was going to run in this game. They have been taking so much heat for not being balanced. Reminds me of the Philly game two years ago when the Eagles never ran the ball and ended up gashing the Dallas D-fense on the ground. Also, i thought stopping the run was always top priority?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;1831368 said:
That’s what i don’t get is...i knew Detroit was going to run in this game. They have been taking so much heat for not being balanced. Reminds me of the Philly game two years ago when the Eagles never ran the ball and ended up gashing the Dallas D-fense on the ground. Also, i thought stopping the run was always top priority?
So you'd game plan to stop the Patriots by containing Laurence Maroney?

Good info.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967;1831358 said:
the jury is out on him I think...nobody knows for sure other than him and Wade what he does during the week or the games themselves in terms of planning and calling plays

nobody in San Diego was sad to see him go as I recall

David
I think you recall wrong. The org tried hard to keep him. Once it became obvious that he wanted to leave, they almost had to let him go.

Wade calls plays, but I do think he has an important role in installing the game plan during the week.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
Hostile;1831380 said:
So you'd game plan to stop the Patriots by containing Laurence Maroney?

Good info.

I don’t know how you stop the Patriots offense. But the Detriot offense was going to run the ball. I heard it all week in their coaches press conferences and Detriot radio. We were not prepared well for that game. And that same freakin run, i wish i knew what it was called, we keep getting beat on it. Green Bay burned us with it on that long run, Detriot did it at least 2 times for huge gains.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Everybody in the end said that Lovie ran Chicago's defense and they would not miss Rivera either.

Chicago's D is not what it was. They have gone from 5th to 29th!!!!!!!!

I like Stewart so far. He is a pupil but I think must be a very good one if Wade wanted to bring him along

aikemirv

Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;1831395 said:
I don’t know how you stop the Patriots offense. But the Detriot offense was going to run the ball. I heard it all week in their coaches press conferences and Detriot radio. We were not prepared well for that game. And that same freakin run, i wish i knew what it was called, we keep getting beat on it. Green Bay burned us with it on that long run, Detriot did it at least 2 times for huge gains.

I am with you on this one. If anyone watched Detroit play Green Bay on Thanksgiving they should have known that they very well could try to run the ball a lot. We should have been prepared. Now, if they ran the ball on GB without a FB or a 2 TE set like the coaches said they did against us that is a different story.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the long run by Grant in the Green Bay was a fluke play. He didn't do much outside of that one big run.

A good assumption would be for Wade to have prepared them a bit more for the run. But they'd been a passing team all season long, it makes sense to me to go with the trend.

That said, I'm glad Wade admitted he should've prepared them better.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I'm glad Stewart finally said it. It's the coaches game plan, if they want you to play 10 yds off, then you do it. We as fans get upset at the player, when in fact they are just obeying orders.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1831386 said:
I think you recall wrong. The org tried hard to keep him. Once it became obvious that he wanted to leave, they almost had to let him go.

Wade calls plays, but I do think he has an important role in installing the game plan during the week.

As did most of the assistant coaches after the way Shottenhimer was fired.

Next_years_Champs

Reaction score

The defensive breakdowns that were posted showed that we were in our base 3-4 for the vast majority of the plays. What else can a DC do? When our players quit over running their gap responsibilities in the second half we shutdown Detroit's running game and started getting more pressure on Kitna.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Next_years_Champs;1831436 said:
The defensive breakdowns that were posted showed that we were in our base 3-4 for the vast majority of the plays. What else can a DC do? When our players quit over running their gap responsibilities in the second half we shutdown Detroit's running game and started getting more pressure on Kitna.

I agree. I think Dallas defenders were set on putting Kitna on his backside and all too often would run themselves out of the plays vs the run. As you said our guys started playing their responsibilities and stopped over running the plays in the 2nd half. I credit the Lions staff for throwing a big change up on Dallas but in the end we did adjust and took care of business.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1831386 said:

Exactly. David is wrong on this.

I remember specifically that it took a few weeks of Wade and JJ wrangling the Chargers to even get access to Stew.

In the end the Chargers knew he wanted to be here w/ Wade and allowed them to talk.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1831415 said:
I think the long run by Grant in the Green Bay was a fluke play. He didn't do much outside of that one big run.

I don’t think it was a fluke play. I will relook at it and compare to those that Detriot ran. To me they looked very similar.

Next_years_Champs;1831436 said:

Kitna was really good too. I don’t know how he made some of those passes. There was a play near the end of the game Detriot ran to get another first down where they flooded the right side of the field. Well we left Henry and a LB on the left side doing NOTHING! They completed that pass to the right side easily. I don’t understand that kindof defensive formation. I would never have one of my best corners just standing around covering nobody.

khiladi

Reaction score
But it isn't about scheming, it is about the players executing, so we are told...

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1831386 said:

I was speaking of their fan base

the vast majority seemed to think he wasnt a very good DB coach...if Wade really likes him its great, but I really dont think any of us knows what exactly Stewart does...I know when WP took the job, he said he was going to be doing the play calling and the majority of the defensive game planning

David

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967;1831478 said:
I was speaking of their fan base

the vast majority seemed to think he wasnt a very good DB coach...if Wade really likes him its great, but I really dont think any of us knows what exactly Stewart does...I know when WP took the job, he said he was going to be doing the play calling and the majority of the defensive game planning

David
Wade said he would call plays...nothing about doing the majority of the game-planning. But you're right in that we don't completely know what Stewart's responsibilities are. I think a good assumption could be made that he does everything a DC is supposed to do EXCEPT call plays.

And considering SD DBs the past few years, I can understand why they might want to throw a coach under a bus.