DMN: Blog: Garrett talks about Crayton

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Garrett talks about Crayton

4:10 PM Mon, Jul 21, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Calvin Watkins http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

First it was a dropped pass that could have led to a touchdown. Then it was slowing down on a route just outside the end zone that had the potential for a touchdown. The last game of the 2007 season for Patrick Crayton was difficult.

Crayton took a lot of heat this offseason from the fans and the media.
Offensive coordinator/assistant head coach Jason Garrett said Crayton has responded with a strong offseason.

"He's been great, a special kid," Garrett said. "He's like I'm talking about, comes to work everyday, a smart football player who loves to play football. Has a confidence about him that really conveys the whole group. And we love that. He loves to practice, whatever role you give him he will be ready to do it, and give you his all to do it."

"You love his personality and his approach and you like his ability. He had a very productive year for us. You know when you think about Terry Glenn going down in training camp last year and the kind of year we had on offense without a marquee player like that, a lot of that is with Patrick Crayton stepping in and saying hey let's keep going."

Mansta54

Reaction score
And just think, fans on this board want to run him out of town.. Unbelievable!!!! Crayton has done nothing but get better with each year he's played.. Well, the coach has spoken, nuff said...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't really have a problem with Crayton dropping passes in the playoffs or not completing his route. Would I have rather seen him catch the ball and finish his route? With out a doubt. However, young players take time and I see that, like Romo in Seattle, as part of the maturation process. The real problem I have with Crayton is that fact that I do not believe he has the talent to be the #2 WR. I just don't think he can create the miss match down field that our offense lacks. JMO.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
See my sig. I'm not mad at Patrick anymore. I just bring up the drop when defending Romo against those who think Romo single handedly lost that game for us.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crayton gets a lot of grief on here, some of it is probably well founded.

However consider what round we got him in, where he came from in college football and the transition he has had to make.

I think we are getting a pretty good bargain out of the guy. Sure we could do better down the road, but I am not going to rag on him too much because our investment in him has been to our benefit by a large margin.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Well Jason better like him, because like him or not he's the #2 wide receiver for the team this year!

I'm still not over it. Heck, I'm still not over a lot of things, like the Richie Anderson fumble in 2003.

He can make it up by having a great season and catching a key pass that puts us over the top into the Superbowl.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2152579 said:
I don't really have a problem with Crayton dropping passes in the playoffs or not completing his route. Would I have rather seen him catch the ball and finish his route? With out a doubt. However, young players take time and I see that, like Romo in Seattle, as part of the maturation process. The real problem I have with Crayton is that fact that I do not believe he has the talent to be the #2 WR. I just don't think he can create the miss match down field that our offense lacks. JMO.
I tend to agree on that one. who woulda thought. He is a #3 guy for sure.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheSkaven;2152785 said:
I'm still not over it. Heck, I'm still not over a lot of things, like the Richie Anderson fumble in 2003.

:laugh2: Richie Anderson made a lot of plays for us, but he wasn't the answer. Didn't he toss a TD to Terry Glenn in a Monday Night game once?

That Carolina game where Richie fumbled really irked me. I guess that's why I'm so glad that we beat Carolina just about every time we play them.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Cbz40;2152482 said:
Garrett talks about Crayton

4:10 PM Mon, Jul 21, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Calvin Watkins http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

First it was a dropped pass that could have led to a touchdown. Then it was slowing down on a route just outside the end zone that had the potential for a touchdown. The last game of the 2007 season for Patrick Crayton was difficult.

Crayton took a lot of heat this offseason from the fans and the media.
Offensive coordinator/assistant head coach Jason Garrett said Crayton has responded with a strong offseason.

"He's been great, a special kid," Garrett said. "He's like I'm talking about, comes to work everyday, a smart football player who loves to play football. Has a confidence about him that really conveys the whole group. And we love that. He loves to practice, whatever role you give him he will be ready to do it, and give you his all to do it."

"You love his personality and his approach and you like his ability. He had a very productive year for us. You know when you think about Terry Glenn going down in training camp last year and the kind of year we had on offense without a marquee player like that, a lot of that is with Patrick Crayton stepping in and saying hey let's keep going."

How about the film room? Tell us about the film room, do you ever see him in there?

Guess I am asking the wrong person. cb, where are ya? :D

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Mansta54;2152566 said:
And just think, fans on this board want to run him out of town.. Unbelievable!!!! Crayton has done nothing but get better with each year he's played.. Well, the coach has spoken, nuff said...
People are constantly looking for the next best thing. It's like leaving your wife everytime a hot woman passes by. If you have a good player, stick with him, even through bad times.. Unless the bad times come more often than good, :D.

gambit187

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2152760 said:
Crayton gets a lot of grief on here, some of it is probably well founded.

However consider what round we got him in, where he came from in college football and the transition he has had to make.

I think we are getting a pretty good bargain out of the guy. Sure we could do better down the road, but I am not going to rag on him too much because our investment in him has been to our benefit by a large margin.

This is my feeling also. Dude was a 7th round pick from NW OKL St...He is a great 3 and a solid 2.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I disagree that Crayton doesn't have the talent to be anything more than he is. There have been numerous WR's who have gone to Pro Bowls on similar talent. Parcells compared Crayton to Hines Ward physically. Like Crayton Ward is about 6'0 205, and doesn't have great speed. He gets open because he's super smart, has good quickness out of his breaks, runs great routes, has great instincts for the position and and willing to do anything asked of him. Ward had a non-descript rookie year as he made the transition to his new position, then put up a couple of mediocre seasons of 40+ catches for 600 yards and before breaking out in his 4th year. This is Crayton's 4th year in the NFL, and he's done nothing but improve every year from the year before. We'll see if the progress continues or if he plateaus.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2152840 said:
I disagree that Crayton doesn't have the talent to be anything more than he is. There have been numerous WR's who have gone to Pro Bowls on similar talent. Parcells compared Crayton to Hines Ward physically. Like Crayton Ward is about 6'0 205, and doesn't have great speed. He gets open because he's super smart, has good quickness out of his breaks, runs great routes, has great instincts for the position and and willing to do anything asked of him. Ward had a non-descript rookie year as he made the transition to his new position, then put up a couple of mediocre seasons of 40+ catches for 600 yards and before breaking out in his 4th year. This is Crayton's 4th year in the NFL, and he's done nothing but improve every year from the year before. We'll see if the progress continues or if he plateaus.
Some players do exceed expectations and succeed with lesser talent. But that takes a special kind of person. He could become more then he is but I find it highly doubtful.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
ABQcowboyJR;2152842 said:
Some players do exceed expectations and succeed with lesser talent. But that takes a special kind of person. He could become more then he is but I find it highly doubtful.

Well he's already proven to be an exception to the rule with his career so far. First he should have never have made the team. Then he should have never made it as high as a #3 WR by his 2nd year. Then he should have never been a starter. Like I said, all he's done since he's come to Dallas improve on his previouis season. The arrow is still pointing up for Crayton, and he hasn't plateaued yet. He may never win the title of "internet messageboard favorite", but that really doesn't mean squat. I've seen some mighty, mighty overrated internet messageboard favorites.... *cough* Chris Canty *cough*

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2152848 said:
Well he's already proven to be an exception to the rule with his career so far. First he should have never have made the team. Then he should have never made it as high as a #3 WR by his 2nd year. Then he should have never been a starter. Like I said, all he's done since he's come to Dallas improve on his previouis season. The arrow is still pointing up for Crayton, and he hasn't plateaued yet. He may never win the title of "internet messageboard favorite", but that really doesn't mean squat. I've seen some mighty, mighty overrated internet messageboard favorites.... *cough* Chris Canty *cough*
I can see where you are coming from. He does seem to keep improving and I have no doubt he will still get better. Just how good is the question in my mind.

ddh33

Reaction score
I think Crayton is absolutely one of the most underrated guys on this team. He just picked a bad day to have a bad game. That's it. I expect him to be even better this year.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2152840 said:

InmanRoshi;2152848 said:

:hammer:

I've been giving Crayton alot of static, but I've been one of his biggest supporters too, and appreciate him because he is a fantastic WR, but I'm over his playoff performance now, and am ready to continue to root for him

btw, if some Cowboy fans had their way, they would have kept Terrence Copper instead of Crayton...