DMN: Blog: Garrett talks about Crayton

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2153601 said:
Nothing at all. Especially since this was not what was said. Read the post. I promise you that if you read my post again, the ability to understand what it says will increase by a factor of 10.

Meh i don't think i care enough to read it till i understand. My head hurts today

Disturbed

A Mere Flesh Wound
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2153601 said:
Nothing at all. Especially since this was not what was said. Read the post. I promise you that if you read my post again, the ability to understand what it says will increase by a factor of 10.

Looks like you busted him on the misquote....maybe he was the one drinking.:laugh2:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
dargonking999;2153622 said:
Meh i don't think i care enough to read it till i understand. My head hurts today

If you care enough to say it doesn't make sense, you should at least care enough to make sure you understand what is being said. Never the less, it is your affair.

Doesn't change the fact. I do not believe he is suited to be a deep threat, #2 WR. He is much better suited to be a #1 possesion WR. He may some day be that for us but that won't happen so long as TO is here. That leaves us without a deep threat to balance the field IMO.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2153632 said:
If you care enough to say it doesn't make sense, you should at least care enough to make sure you understand what is being said. Never the less, it is your affair.

Doesn't change the fact. I do not believe he is suited to be a deep threat, #2 WR. He is much better suited to be a #1 possesion WR. He may some day be that for us but that won't happen so long as TO is here. That leaves us without a deep threat to balance the field IMO.

When i read the first two lines it didn't make sense. THe rest of your post made perfect sense. The first two lines i don't care enough to understand, now if you wanna explain go ahead, but i aint gonna keep reading it, looking for the real meaning.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
dargonking999;2153633 said:
When i read the first two lines it didn't make sense. THe rest of your post made perfect sense. The first two lines i don't care enough to understand, now if you wanna explain go ahead, but i aint gonna keep reading it, looking for the real meaning.

I've already explained it as best as I can. I can not explain more clearly. I guess we are at an impass. He's not a deep threat, which is what the #2 WR typically brings. The #1 receiver is usually the guy in your offense who gets the majority of the receptions. He's the bread and butter. In our offense, that's TO. Because Crayton does not have the speed to make DBs fear him, he can't create mismatches deep down field that force the Safety to play honest. Basically, it allows opposing safeties to cheat to whichever Receiver threat they choose. It allows for a safety to shade towards TO. If Crayton had real speed, then teams would have to play a safety honest against. That would allow TO more opportunity to get deep or any of the other Receivers in the pattern. Basically, Crayton is playing at the speed WR position but he doesn't have the speed needed to make DBs fear him. That takes away from the offense. I applaud him for stepping up and not complaining but at the end of the day, we still need that guy that makes a CB talk to themselves when there on an Island. Crayton's skills suite the #1 possesion WR postion much better then the #2, which is what he is being forced to play right now, IMO.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Disturbed;2153564 said:
Yes, but most can still perform to some degree without the #1. Crayton has not shown that he can perform at all without TO on the field.

Like who? Reggie Wayne? Boldin?

Crayton has played 1 game in the last two years w/out TO. And that was a meaningless game where he sat. So saying that he hasn't shown that he can perform without TO on the field is a silly statement -- since Crayton has rarely played without TO on the field over the past two years.

yeahyeah

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2152840 said:
I disagree that Crayton doesn't have the talent to be anything more than he is. There have been numerous WR's who have gone to Pro Bowls on similar talent. Parcells compared Crayton to Hines Ward physically. Like Crayton Ward is about 6'0 205, and doesn't have great speed. He gets open because he's super smart, has good quickness out of his breaks, runs great routes, has great instincts for the position and and willing to do anything asked of him. Ward had a non-descript rookie year as he made the transition to his new position, then put up a couple of mediocre seasons of 40+ catches for 600 yards and before breaking out in his 4th year. This is Crayton's 4th year in the NFL, and he's done nothing but improve every year from the year before. We'll see if the progress continues or if he plateaus.

I like that...we shall see

Mansta54

Reaction score
abersonc;2153655 said:
Like who? Reggie Wayne? Boldin?

Crayton has played 1 game in the last two years w/out TO. And that was a meaningless game where he sat. So saying that he hasn't shown that he can perform without TO on the field is a silly statement -- since Crayton has rarely played without TO on the field over the past two years.

You're dead on point with this and that's why I didn't respond to his post about handling the truth. HE DOESN'T KNOW THE TRUTH!!! Amazing, isn't it!!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2152579 said:
I don't really have a problem with Crayton dropping passes in the playoffs or not completing his route. Would I have rather seen him catch the ball and finish his route? With out a doubt. However, young players take time and I see that, like Romo in Seattle, as part of the maturation process. The real problem I have with Crayton is that fact that I do not believe he has the talent to be the #2 WR. I just don't think he can create the miss match down field that our offense lacks. JMO.

I dont know if he can create the miss match but the guy is productive and thats what I want out of my #2 receiver.

Plus he is still developing. He has not hit a wall since he has gotten in the league.

He wasn't even a receiver until he stepped into the pros.

I believe Crayton can be a #2 in this league. I felt like he did a good job proving it last year as well and I expect and even better Patrick Crayton this year.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2153632 said:

Since when was speed the biggest criteria for a #2.

Productivity > Speed

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
I do like that Crayton has gotten better every year, but I also believe that Crayton MUST take his game to a higher level again for this offense to improve. If he plateaus to last year's level this offense will struggle because our strength of schedule is much harder this year.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
The Saints don't have a Pro Bowl #2 WR. Must be hard for Sean Payton knowing his offense is just going to be absolutely crippled all year long. Maybe they'll win a few close squeekers if their defense dominates, but other than that ... I just don't see how their offense going to put points up on the board to be competitive. I wonder how Sean Payton is ever going get by?

Makes you wonder you wonder how Sean Payton put up the #1 passing offense and the #3 passing offense the last two years without a great #2.

aikemirv

Reaction score
bbailey423;2153000 said:
said it from the begining and i won't change my mind...he is a #3...now he could make himself the best #3 in the NFL.....but he is not a #2 WR.

Actually he is a number 2:cool:

aikemirv

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2153647 said:
I've already explained it as best as I can. I can not explain more clearly. I guess we are at an impass. He's not a deep threat, which is what the #2 WR typically brings. The #1 receiver is usually the guy in your offense who gets the majority of the receptions. He's the bread and butter. In our offense, that's TO. Because Crayton does not have the speed to make DBs fear him, he can't create mismatches deep down field that force the Safety to play honest. Basically, it allows opposing safeties to cheat to whichever Receiver threat they choose. It allows for a safety to shade towards TO. If Crayton had real speed, then teams would have to play a safety honest against. That would allow TO more opportunity to get deep or any of the other Receivers in the pattern. Basically, Crayton is playing at the speed WR position but he doesn't have the speed needed to make DBs fear him. That takes away from the offense. I applaud him for stepping up and not complaining but at the end of the day, we still need that guy that makes a CB talk to themselves when there on an Island. Crayton's skills suite the #1 possesion WR postion much better then the #2, which is what he is being forced to play right now, IMO.

Do you mean like how TO dominated the Commanders and the Giants in those games last year when the safety could not get over in time?

The offense is designed to be TO first, Witten 2nd and the #2 WR 3rd. Witten takes care of the safety or To takes care of the safety depending who is option #1 in the play. It worked very well last year. Crayton is the 2nd to 3rd option on most pass plays. When TO went down it is probably as much Romo's issue as it is Crayton's as far as productivity.

UVAwahoos

Benched
Reaction score
Mansta54;2152566 said:
And just think, fans on this board want to run him out of town.. Unbelievable!!!! Crayton has done nothing but get better with each year he's played.. Well, the coach has spoken, nuff said...

You know he brings that upon himself. I'd be pleased with any positive contribution he makes and would praise his hard work, but then he gets on a microphone and talks like he's God greatest gift to the sport and then does nothing to back it up. He did the exact opposite, in fact, by making CRUCIAL mistakes in a couple games. Like I've said, it was pretty embarrassing to hear to him talk bad about the Pats after they had just handed it to us on our home field and then he kept going week after week with stuff that pretty much nobody says. He was louder than TO all season, and that's not a good thing. He talks like he is a first ballot HOF #1 while his field play showed that he is a career #3 and not our future #2.

People are always gonna hate on him if he goes out his way to make headline material and then doesn't back it up.

Mansta54

Reaction score
UVAwahoos;2153956 said:
You know he brings that upon himself. I'd be pleased with any positive contribution he makes and would praise his hard work, but then he gets on a microphone and talks like he's God greatest gift to the sport and then does nothing to back it up. He did the exact opposite, in fact, by making CRUCIAL mistakes in a couple games. Like I've said, it was pretty embarrassing to hear to him talk bad about the Pats after they had just handed it to us on our home field and then he kept going week after week with stuff that pretty much nobody says. He was louder than TO all season, and that's not a good thing. He talks like he is a first ballot HOF #1 while his field play showed that he is a career #3 and not our future #2.

People are always gonna hate on him if he goes out his way to make headline material and then doesn't back it up.

Ahh, I know of 1 game he made crucial mistakes in. Please enlighten me on the other ones. You focus way too much on what he says instead of what he's done and what he's done is gotten better with each season he's been here. Try focusing on his game instead of his mouth regardless if he opens it or not. Give it a try!!!!!

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
UVAwahoos;2153956 said:

'People' who don't play with him or coach him or appreciate as fans that he's been a good player for us.

There are so many Cowboy fans out there who don't know what they're watching or why they believe what they believe. It's hard to take their opinions seriously. I'm still arguing with people who don't understand that the didn't quit on his route in the playoffs no matter how many times people involved with the team and with the play go on record saying that's not what happened.

Mansta54

Reaction score
Idgit;2153990 said:
'People' who don't play with him or coach him or appreciate as fans that he's been a good player for us.

There are so many Cowboy fans out there who don't know what they're watching or why they believe what they believe. It's hard to take their opinions seriously. I'm still arguing with people who don't understand that the didn't quit on his route in the playoffs no matter how many times people involved with the team and with the play go on record saying that's not what happened.

Here's what kills me. All the guy does is get better with each year he's played, he's known for the best hands on the team, he's made clutch 3rd down catches for 1st downs numerous times, he's even caught the game winner before, then his OC comes out and says what a hard worker he is and a delight to have on the team but some fans still want to focus on what he said last year. Now that's amazing!!! :bang2: