DMN Blog: Has the league caught up with Jason Garrett?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
10:12 AM Wed, Dec 17, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

A major storyline of this week could easily have been Jason Garrett bringing his Baltimore Ravens to Texas Stadium to face his former team. But Garrett turned down the Baltimore job, accepting Jerry's offer to become the highest-paid assistant coach in league history and wait for Wade Phillips' job to become available.

In hindsight, was that a mistake? Garrett hasn't exactly confirmed his reputation as one of the league's brightest young coaches this season.

"It happened in Washington with Gregg Williams," NFL Network analyst Marshall Faulk said, referring to the former Commanders head coach-in-waiting who didn't get the job when it came open. "[Garrett] has to be careful it doesn't happen to him. When you sit behind a coach and wait for the perfect opportunity instead of taking the one available, it can come back to haunt you."

Faulk said he couldn't blame Garrett for passing up the Baltimore opening for the "dream job" of eventually coaching the Cowboys, but he wondered whether the league has caught up to Garrett during his second season as a play-caller. Faulk also wondered why Garrett hasn't been criticized more in the Dallas media. (Reckon he's not reading this here blog.)

Deion Sanders, who has been harsh on T.O.'s offensive coordinator all season, said Garrett still has a lot to learn.

"Last year at this time, he was one of the hottest tickets in the NFL," Deion said. "Everybody wanted a piece of him. Everybody wanted to talk to him. I don't hear that now. I hear, 'What's been going on with the Cowboys' offense?'"

Comments (2) Leave comment | E-mail entry

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
lol

Check the offensive numbers at texas stadium and then get back to me.

All this because one player is allowed to go in front of the media like he is a coach and critique the team and its coaches, a forum he should not be allowed.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Deion is just plain annoying.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theebs;2501646 said:
lol

Check the offensive numbers at texas stadium and then get back to me.

All this because one player is allowed to go in front of the media like he is a coach and critique the team and its coaches, a forum he should not be allowed.
I don't think it has anything to do with T.O. People on here have been questioning Garrett for awhile. The numbers are good, but the offense hasn't flowed this year nearly as well as last year and that's with Romo in the lineup.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2501654 said:
I don't think it has anything to do with T.O. People on here have been questioning Garrett for awhile. The numbers are good, but the offense hasn't flowed this year nearly as well as last year and that's with Romo in the lineup.

The team has also played a much more difficult schedule than last year.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2501654 said:

that is because they hear it from their hero everyweek that the coaches dont put him in position, when nothing could be further from the truth.

he is allowed to insult and attack every member of this organization without repercussion. he has spent the whole season complaining about garrett.

then fans piggyback on his insults and comments and everyone starts crying about all these magic routes that should be run.

If this team was run by someone who had any control these guys would never in a million years talk about their coaches like that, or fellow players.

The offense has been held to expectations that are not achievable by many. All the offense has to do is score enough points to win the game. Jason Garrett and his staff are exactly the same as last year. This year we have had some key injuries that have slowed some things down and even then we are still a very good offensive team.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2501654 said:

Look at the defense we have been going up against, every team in the NFC East are in the top 6 defenses, we faced Pitt who has the #1 defense and this week will face the #2 defense. you are not going to put up big numbers on these teams very easy. Last year Dallas schedule was not a 1st place schedule this year it has been to me this is not surprising to see the offense having lesser numbers than the year before.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MichaelWinicki;2501667 said:
The team has also played a much more difficult schedule than last year.
I'm willing to concede it's been a bit more difficult, but not much. NFC East has always been tough, but if the offense was flowing better, they should've been able to sweep the NFC West and beat the Bengals by a much larger margin. Pitt and B-more were always a toss-up in my mind.

This offense thrives off big plays. Early big plays. When they don't come early, it's like they struggle...until the 2nd half. It's just weird.

I think injuries have been a factor, but many have been on the defensive side moreso than the offense.

It doesn't mean I don't like Garrett, just think the offense tends to sputter occasionally.

cowboys5

Benched
Reaction score
im tired of everyone saying its garrets fault. and how the leaugue has caught up with him.

How can 31 other teams know his entire gameplan when was only with us for one season

its the exucution not the play calling

anyone can point fingers at the OC but hes not out there running the plays he just calls them

for example. people say he doesnt utilize T.O enough or he doesnt run enough

well have you noticed that T.O is not open every play.

It is also the O Lines fault for the poor running

maybe he thinks that the line is poor at run blocking
you never know..there is a reason he is the offensive coordinator and we are fans

So dont blame him blame the execution of the players

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Kosier absence has proven to be devastating. I am glad that Garrett is being undervalued because that means it won't be any interviewing distractions during our playoff run. :)

Give Garrett a healthy offensive line and the offense will be just as scary as last year. The same can be said about most offensive systems.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
They caught up to him around this time.....LAST YEAR

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
magic routes.

thats it.

Garrett wouldnt suck if he called magic routes.

and players have nothing to do with it apparently. Only when certain players make a big play once a month is it about the players, the rest of the time its about garrett sucking.

and as I have been told this season, a pet monkey could call this offense, so he must suck big time.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2501671 said:
Look at the defense we have been going up against, every team in the NFC East are in the top 6 defenses, we faced Pitt who has the #1 defense and this week will face the #2 defense. you are not going to put up big numbers on these teams very easy. Last year Dallas schedule was not a 1st place schedule this year it has been to me this is not surprising to see the offense having lesser numbers than the year before.
Throw in Romo's injury which costed him 3 games, Injuries to Felix Jones and Kyle Kosier which had really hurt the Offensive line and then add a new Starting WR midway though the season. Plus a defense that earlier in the year weren't causing any turnovers.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theebs;2501670 said:
that is because they hear it from their hero everyweek that the coaches dont put him in position, when nothing could be further from the truth.

he is allowed to insult and attack every member of this organization without repercussion. he has spent the whole season complaining about garrett.

then fans piggyback on his insults and comments and everyone starts crying about all these magic routes that should be run.

If this team was run by someone who had any control these guys would never in a million years talk about their coaches like that, or fellow players.

The offense has been held to expectations that are not achievable by many. All the offense has to do is score enough points to win the game. Jason Garrett and his staff are exactly the same as last year. This year we have had some key injuries that have slowed some things down and even then we are still a very good offensive team.

Theebs, you're 100% right about players criticizing coaches to the media. That should be completely out of bounds. And I'm a big defender of Garrett's. I do think the OL isn't playing like it was last year, and combining that with injuries to Romo (and Brad Johnson being a Garrett Guy) and some of the really tough defensive teams on the schedule, and you're left with the impression that he's slipped. Then again, when you're at the top of the league like we were last year, the only direction you can go is down.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
AmishCowboy;2501702 said:
Throw in Romo's injury which costed him 3 games, Injuries to Felix Jones and Kyle Kosier which had really hurt the Offensive line and then add a new Starting WR midway though the season. Plus a defense that earlier in the year weren't causing any turnovers.

miles austin and sam hurd have been hurt this season too.

And jason witten has played the whole season banged up.

But none of it matters. Garrett sucks.

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2501639 said:
10:12 AM Wed, Dec 17, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

A major storyline of this week could easily have been Jason Garrett bringing his Baltimore Ravens to Texas Stadium to face his former team. But Garrett turned down the Baltimore job, accepting Jerry's offer to become the highest-paid assistant coach in league history and wait for Wade Phillips' job to become available.

In hindsight, was that a mistake? Garrett hasn't exactly confirmed his reputation as one of the league's brightest young coaches this season.

"It happened in Washington with Gregg Williams," NFL Network analyst Marshall Faulk said, referring to the former Commanders head coach-in-waiting who didn't get the job when it came open. "[Garrett] has to be careful it doesn't happen to him. When you sit behind a coach and wait for the perfect opportunity instead of taking the one available, it can come back to haunt you."

Faulk said he couldn't blame Garrett for passing up the Baltimore opening for the "dream job" of eventually coaching the Cowboys, but he wondered whether the league has caught up to Garrett during his second season as a play-caller. Faulk also wondered why Garrett hasn't been criticized more in the Dallas media. (Reckon he's not reading this here blog.)

Deion Sanders, who has been harsh on T.O.'s offensive coordinator all season, said Garrett still has a lot to learn.

"Last year at this time, he was one of the hottest tickets in the NFL," Deion said. "Everybody wanted a piece of him. Everybody wanted to talk to him. I don't hear that now. I hear, 'What's been going on with the Cowboys' offense?'"

Comments (2) Leave comment | E-mail entry

Couldn't agree more. IMO, Garrett's play-calling has cost us a few games where he thought the run wasn't important against the Skins the first game!

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theebs;2501705 said:
miles austin and sam hurd have been hurt this season too.

And jason witten has played the whole season banged up.

But none of it matters. Garrett sucks.
Extreme much?

I think people can take those things into consideration and still evaluate what Garrett has done this year. Garrett doesn't suck, but I'm not as impressed with him based on this year's job.

reddyuta

Reaction score
it is bound to happen in the nfc east where there are some pretty good defensive coordiators but garrett is still our head coach in waiting-not for the next 2 years though.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
With a Healthy Romo, Garret has only lost one game this year.

He also won a game with Brad Johnson as the QB

and about 3 with a gimpy Romo.

His starting tightend has been injured all year.
His starting runningback has been injured on and off all year.
He is playing with a 3rd string o-lineman.
He is playing with the original 3rd string RB.