DMN Blog: Has the league caught up with Jason Garrett?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
EGG;2502212 said:
What I'm saying is that when the Cowboys pitched right or delayed handoffs, etc, the Giants had already shifted their defense into position and when the ball was snapped they were all over that play like ugly on an ape. I don't care how good the other team's defense is, they shouldn't consistently know where your plays are going ahead of time.

Like the Dallas defense seemed to know what the Giants were doing? Not every play is a winner but at the end of the day did we put up the needed points to win? We also were able to put up 321 yards on them but when you get down to it the other team is going to win some of the battles through out the game. I wish every play Garrett called worked to prefection but I deal with the reality that it is not going to happen nor does it happen to any other OC. People have been singing the praise of Gilbride and the job he has been doing as the OC for the Giants well in this game I'm sure many Giants fans have questioned his play calling

jday

Reaction score
theebs;2501670 said:
that is because they hear it from their hero everyweek that the coaches dont put him in position, when nothing could be further from the truth.

he is allowed to insult and attack every member of this organization without repercussion. he has spent the whole season complaining about garrett.

then fans piggyback on his insults and comments and everyone starts crying about all these magic routes that should be run.

If this team was run by someone who had any control these guys would never in a million years talk about their coaches like that, or fellow players.

The offense has been held to expectations that are not achievable by many. All the offense has to do is score enough points to win the game. Jason Garrett and his staff are exactly the same as last year. This year we have had some key injuries that have slowed some things down and even then we are still a very good offensive team.
I'm sorry. But I have to disagree. First and foremost, I do agree that T.O. should keep his mouth shut, if he has something negative to say about someone within the orginization.

That having been said, Jason Garrett has pissed me off almost as much as Parcells would piss me off with trying to sit on one possession leads starting in the 2nd quarter of a game. Not quite, but close. He's been fairly predictable, particularly in the running game. And that's not just me saying that...opposing defenses have made the comment, as well, that they know exactly where to be when the Cowboys show certain sets, because they know what they like to do in given alignments. If the Cowboys bring a TE in motion, you can bet they are going to run to the side the TE lands on. Damn near every time. If it's 2nd down and they line up in a shotgun formation, with the HB next to Romo, you are probably going to see the draw.

Like I said, though, last week, while he was still predictable, he, at least, made adjustments to take advantage of the Giants aggressive defense. That is the first time all year I have seem him make such an effective on the spot adjustment (e.g. implementing screens to various personnell).

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2502233 said:
Like the Dallas defense seemed to know what the Giants were doing? Not every play is a winner but at the end of the day did we put up the needed points to win? We also were able to put up 321 yards on them but when you get down to it the other team is going to win some of the battles through out the game. I wish every play Garrett called worked to prefection but I deal with the reality that it is not going to happen nor does it happen to any other OC. People have been singing the praise of Gilbride and the job he has been doing as the OC for the Giants well in this game I'm sure many Giants fans have questioned his play calling

well obviously you're ignoring the point being made and talking in general terms,,, so I'll leave you to your monologue. :p:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
EGG;2502504 said:
well obviously you're ignoring the point being made and talking in general terms,,, so I'll leave you to your monologue. :p:

My point is there is another team on the other side of the line that has outstanding talent you are not going to win every battle yes sometimes defenses will see how you are lining up and based on that have a clue as to what you plan on doing that is why they go through hours of film study but at the end of the day our offense is still putting up the points, I don't expect every play to be great but overall I expect our offense can go out and do the job and for the most part this offense is still doing the job and doing this aginst some stiff competition. As long as I have been watching football one thing I know for sure fans think they can do a better job well they can't

MONT17

Reaction score
Garretts weakness may have to do with the limitations of his QB... Granted he let guys like TC waste on the bench all season makes you wonder if Doug Free is another guy waiting to come out of his Red Shell! But that may have something to do with the oline coach...

cowboybacker4life

Reaction score
theebs;2501737 said:
the only thing that is extreme, is that people are questioning whether or not the league has caught up with him. Its a ******** argument to begin with.

so when the opening statement of the argument is extreme, short sighted and plain dumb, everything is game.

I said earlier why I believe people are attacking garrett and it is sad.

The numbers of this team at home are terrific. The numbers on the road are down a little, which is to be expected.

a play is called, the players either execute it or they dont.

If garrett was as poor at gameplanning as say steve spurrier, then there would be something to complain about, but he is not.

Blitz protections are there, check downs are there for romo, the qb is well coached enough that he has the right to check plays or call two plays in the huddle.

I think garrett is an outstanding coach. Our offense is very good. People want to break scoring records or they dont give them credit, couple that with whiny 81 complaining about garrett every week and fans start to regurgitate talking points that have no merit.

Just like last week when every one was complaining about garrett because of the 4th and inches we didnt convert. I never saw anyone say well owens went down on the third down play softer than shaun alexander or Jason Witten completely blew his block of james harrisson or deion anderson would have had a first down.

Instead it was Jason Garrett's offense sucks and it was the typical response.

People started this nonsense about Garrett being "Figured out" before the sf game. The next two games proved that was nonsense. Just like it is right now.
Theebs it is nice to see you not bagging on the defense anymore

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I agree that Jason Garrett's offense has not been great.

Part of the problem is that he was stuck working with Brad Johnson.

However, I don't understand why Roy Williams is so invisible on Sundays and hasn't been integrated into the offense a little more.

There is no way in heck teams should getting away with double teaming Terrell Owens, when you have the best Tight End in the league and maybe the best 2nd receiver in the NFL.

Yes we have injuries, but as I have always stated, the Cowboys still fielded a pretty good team even with those injuries.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
cowboybacker4life;2502664 said:
Theebs it is nice to see you not bagging on the defense anymore

That just means he is a fair and balanced poster.

He rips them when they need ripping and he gives them their due when they play well.