DMN Blog: Has the league caught up with Jason Garrett?

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;2501844 said:
Dallas is averaging 26.5 points a game when Romo plays. That'd be good enough for 5th in the NFL. Factor in non-offensive scoring (which the Cowboys are among the worst in the league at) and that ranking climbs even higher.

Comparing the points Dallas has scored on opponents vs. their season average, it's hard to argue that Dallas isn't one of the better scoring offenses in the league.

I'd hate to be "figured out" so well.

Stats are meaningless when you only score over 20 points on the worst teams in the league. Not saying we should always score over 20 points but this offense should do better against tougher opponents..

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
khiladi;2501970 said:
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL+Statistics/Team+Statistics/2006/finaltmst.htm

I know that... He was the offensive coordinator TWO YEARS AGO, and Dallas was top 5 or 6 in yardage gained for total offense... They had 52 TD that year, first in the NFC and top-5 or in the NFL.

And you don't think that Dallas wouldn't have better offensive numbers this year is Romo didn't miss 3 games?

And if I'm not mistaken Sparano is a head coach in this league, he's not "swiss cheese".

I'm still not sure why you keep bringing up his name.

The Cowboys are 8th in scoring this year regardless of not having any offense for 3 games.

You act like that's totally meaningless and that 8th in the NFL in score is completely lame.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2501988 said:
And you don't think that Dallas wouldn't have better offensive numbers this year is Romo didn't miss 3 games?

And if I'm not mistaken Sparano is a head coach in this league, he's not "swiss cheese".

I'm still not sure why you keep bringing up his name.

The Cowboys are 8th in scoring this year regardless of not having any offense for 3 games.

You act like that's totally meaningless and that 8th in the NFL in score is completely lame.

Look up.;)

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CowboyFan74;2502003 said:

Well I think you folks that are screaming for Sparano should put out your collection cans and see if you can get enough to pry him from the Dolphins.

I wish you luck.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2501687 said:
I'm willing to concede it's been a bit more difficult, but not much. NFC East has always been tough, but if the offense was flowing better, they should've been able to sweep the NFC West and beat the Bengals by a much larger margin. Pitt and B-more were always a toss-up in my mind.

This offense thrives off big plays. Early big plays. When they don't come early, it's like they struggle...until the 2nd half. It's just weird.

I think injuries have been a factor, but many have been on the defensive side moreso than the offense.

It doesn't mean I don't like Garrett, just think the offense tends to sputter occasionally.

I feel very much the same way.

Garrett is simply a victim of his early success. He's not a miracle worker and has to continue to grow.

Wood

Reaction score
If Dallas offensive line played like they should have this year....Garrett would be interviewing shortly for his next coaching job as a HC.

Reaction score
well, it's clear that Garrett is not a finished product and he's learning some lessons as we go along,,, all we can hope for is that he learns fast.

As I watched the game it was also clear to me that something was keying the Giants, maybe it was formation or tendencies or maybe the O-linemen "tells",,, but something was going on because the Giants were meeting the run plays head on with half their freaking squad. Hopefully we have a fix for this!

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;2501935 said:
I don't know that the OL has played worse this year. I think the play of the skill players masked some of their deficiencies better last year.

Barber this year is putting up numbers eerily similar to Julius Jones last year. The difference is without Felix Jones and before Choice was trusted, there is no Barber type coming off the bench. Maybe it's Barber wising up that he could never take the pounding full time, maybe it's in part to the Barber Rule, maybe he was hurt earlier in the year and we never knew, but Barber's been a major disappointment from an rushing perspective. Maybe it's been Barber that's been "figured out". Bounces most runs right, play contain and use the sideline. Barber hasn't been punishing people for that this year and has gone out of bounds on his own more times than I can count. His best game was the 4th quarter of the 2nd Washington game when he hit holes inside and made people not want to tackle him.

That alone made the OL appear better than they were last year and worse this year. Plus without Romo avoiding defenders for three games, some of their weaknesses were easily spotted. It's the same principle as the line that looked like dung while Bledsoe was playing but came alive when Romo was inserted.

Spot on. Barber is getting too cute out there going east and west. He needs to do what got him to this point and that is get the tough yards that are there, and dont go laterally. Now, everyone knows he tries to bounce everything to the sideline. If he were to go north and south, that 3.7YPC average of his may be around the 4.7

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
EGG;2502024 said:
well, it's clear that Garrett is not a finished product and he's learning some lessons as we go along,,, all we can hope for is that he learns fast.

As I watched the game it was also clear to me that something was keying the Giants, maybe it was formation or tendencies or maybe the O-linemen "tells",,, but something was going on because the Giants were meeting the run plays head on with half their freaking squad. Hopefully we have a fix for this!

I dont know what it is with our line, but we do not seem to run block very well. Last year or this year.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2502009 said:
Well I think you folks that are screaming for Sparano should put out your collection cans and see if you can get enough to pry him from the Dolphins.

I wish you luck.

I'm not screaming for Sparano, just for Garrett to get it right...

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wood;2502016 said:
If Dallas offensive line played like they should have this year....Garrett would be interviewing shortly for his next coaching job as a HC.

Leave it to Wood to say something so profound, yet totally accurate.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CowboyFan74;2502032 said:
I'm not screaming for Sparano, just for Garrett to get it right...

Get the offensive line right and you'll see the offense play better.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
EGG;2502024 said:

What was Kevin Gilbride excuse? When 2 top defense face off it is not that uncommon that a defensive game takes place. Dallas offense made enough plays to beat the Giants in what should have been expected as a defensive battle and it was

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2502036 said:
Get the offensive line right and you'll see the offense play better.

Kinda hard to do when you have 2 good guards go down. It's gonna take some creative thinking like pulling Procter on run plays, screens, and a few roll outs to the right to make up for it...

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CowboyFan74;2502049 said:
Kinda hard to do when you have 2 good guards go down. It's gonna take some creative thinking like pulling Procter on run plays, screens, and a few roll outs to the right to make up for it...

Of course, I don't disagree with that.

But you can only cover for a sub-par player for so long. You're playing against people who also get paid to do this for a living. The other teams do react and will make changes themselves. There is just no way you can hide a "Cory Proctor" for any length of time. It just isn't going to happen.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
zrinkill;2501722 said:
With a Healthy Romo, Garret has only lost one game this year.
Two losses.

Romo was horrid in AZ finally breaking his thumb in the END ZONE in OT. No free pass there. Jason has as much or more to work with than anyone in the NFC too!

Deion is annoying but Red has been figured out. Add in injuries and perhaps playing tougher defenses this year and he's looking like the young-inexperienced OC he actually is.

khiladi

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2502009 said:

I wish you luck.

Who is wishing for Sparano? Withotu Romo, he looked like crap as well. And his run blocking was crap the last year he was here as well...

Thank David Yee, they introduced that Wildcat formation back in the NFL... And their game-managing QB, Chad Pennington...

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2502038 said:
What was Kevin Gilbride excuse? When 2 top defense face off it is not that uncommon that a defensive game takes place. Dallas offense made enough plays to beat the Giants in what should have been expected as a defensive battle and it was

What I'm saying is that when the Cowboys pitched right or delayed handoffs, etc, the Giants had already shifted their defense into position and when the ball was snapped they were all over that play like ugly on an ape. I don't care how good the other team's defense is, they shouldn't consistently know where your plays are going ahead of time.

khiladi

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2502057 said:
Of course, I don't disagree with that.

But you can only cover for a sub-par player for so long. You're playing against people who also get paid to do this for a living. The other teams do react and will make changes themselves. There is just no way you can hide a "Cory Proctor" for any length of time. It just isn't going to happen.

But Garrett wasn't even trying to hide Proctor for any length of time by doing what was suggested...