DMN Blog: John Madden blames 'Boys woes on defense

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
John Madden thought he might see a 9-0 Cowboys team on Sunday

11:48 AM Wed, Nov 12, 2008 | Permalink
Barry Horn http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

That was after he called the Cowboys 27-16 victory over the Packers in Week 3. Now, as he prepares for Sunday night's Cowboys-Commanders game, he doesn't know what to expect.

"They just looked - after the first three games - like they would be 9-0 or maybe 8-1," Madden said on a NBC conference call. "People were writing, 'Are they going to be the Patriots of last year?' And I kind of agreed with that."
So what happened?

"The defense - I thought it was going to be better than they were," Madden said.

Not the injury to Tony Romo?

"When the quarterback goes down it's easy to say that's the whole thing," he said. "It's not."

Madden believes that the Cowboys defense relatively high ranking in sacks (third in the NFC, fifth in the league) is an empty number. They have 26 sacks.

"(DeMarcus) Ware is a good pass rusher and I like (Jay) Ratliff inside," he said, adding that Greg Ellis has "not been Ellis." And "I don't see any pressure from the defensive ends."

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/images/ice3/icons/blog.gif Comments (9) Leave comment | TrackBack (0) | http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail entry

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I agree our defense has seriously under achieved at times but you really have to take into account, to be fair anyway, some of the piss poor situations they've been put in by bad Special teams or Offensive play (Especially the past 3 games offensively).

That doesn't excuse them as a whole, by any means, but it's not like they've done nothing but play like trash at all times.

But anyone can see that the biggest issue was the loss of Romo. With Romo in there, even if the D plays poorly, he can keep us in it and give us a chance to win. The rest of the QBs we have couldn't come close to doing that.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2414540 said:
John Madden thought he might see a 9-0 Cowboys team on Sunday

11:48 AM Wed, Nov 12, 2008 | Permalink
Barry Horn http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

That was after he called the Cowboys 27-16 victory over the Packers in Week 3. Now, as he prepares for Sunday night's Cowboys-Commanders game, he doesn't know what to expect.

"They just looked - after the first three games - like they would be 9-0 or maybe 8-1," Madden said on a NBC conference call. "People were writing, 'Are they going to be the Patriots of last year?' And I kind of agreed with that."
So what happened?

"The defense - I thought it was going to be better than they were," Madden said.

Not the injury to Tony Romo?

"When the quarterback goes down it's easy to say that's the whole thing," he said. "It's not."

Madden believes that the Cowboys defense relatively high ranking in sacks (third in the NFC, fifth in the league) is an empty number. They have 26 sacks.

"(DeMarcus) Ware is a good pass rusher and I like (Jay) Ratliff inside," he said, adding that Greg Ellis has "not been Ellis." And "I don't see any pressure from the defensive ends."

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/images/ice3/icons/blog.gif Comments (9) Leave comment | TrackBack (0) | http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail entry

He is dead on.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
the problem with this defense is their inability to respond to adversity. They have hold teams to FGs when the offense and special teams put them in bad spots. And they have to use their size to their advantadge. Last year this defense would leave team yearning for the hot tub after the game. We are not fast...we are big...so we must punish people on ever play. That goes for the OL as well. This OL should make teams wish they had not gotten out of bed that day.

Alexander

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2414551 said:
I agree our defense has seriously under achieved at times but you really have to take into account, to be fair anyway, some of the piss poor situations they've been put in by bad Special teams or Offensive play (Especially the past 3 games offensively).

That doesn't excuse them as a whole, by any means, but it's not like they've done nothing but play like trash at all times.

But anyone can see that the biggest issue was the loss of Romo. With Romo in there, even if the D plays poorly, he can keep us in it and give us a chance to win. The rest of the QBs we have couldn't come close to doing that.

I think the defense has been spoiled by a high powered offense for the last two seasons. Phillips has even alluded to this and I have no doubt that perception trickles down to the players. They don't ever feel the sense of urgency to shut another team down, nor have they proven to be capable.

In the last two years, we have seen one truly outstanding defensive effort (Tampa Bay) and average to mediocre the rest of the way.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Alexander;2414555 said:
I think the defense has been spoiled by a high powered offense for the last two seasons. Phillips has even alluded to this and I have no doubt that perception trickles down to the players. They don't ever feel the sense of urgency to shut another team down, nor have they proven to be capable.

In the last two years, we have seen one truly outstanding defensive effort (Tampa Bay) and average to mediocre the rest of the way.

Oh, I agree, like I said they shoulder blame. I just don't think they shoulder all of it, or even necassarily most of it. They probably have come to realise that with Romo and the offense playing like it's capable of that they can allow 20 points and we're going to win most of the time.

I don't doubt, at all, that they've become spoiled to that type of thing.

Alexander

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2414562 said:
Oh, I agree, like I said they shoulder blame. I just don't think they shoulder all of it, or even necassarily most of it. They probably have come to realise that with Romo and the offense playing like it's capable of that they can allow 20 points and we're going to win most of the time.

I don't doubt, at all, that they've become spoiled to that type of thing.

What is truly upsetting is that Wade Phillips has done nothing to create a dominant defense. It is like he counts on the cushion of the offense also. That goes back to his style. He's entirely capable of fielding a solid defense and usually does. But he's never had a truly dominant defense, at least of the Bears/Ravens variety.

hendog

Reaction score
Spears and Canty need to apply pressure like Seymore and Warren do for the Pats. Then with Spencer hopefully ready to contribute opposite Ware and bringing in Ellis on passing downs we might be onto something.

So far this year it's been Ware and his outside speed rush every play.

I'm shocked by the lack of creativity, line stunts, blitzes, moving Ware around to create mismatches by the defense. Tuck lines up all over the place to create confusion and take advantage of different situations. But we always lineup the same with Ware off the edge (or in coverage:bang2: )

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alexander;2414566 said:
What is truly upsetting is that Wade Phillips has done nothing to create a dominant defense. It is like he counts on the cushion of the offense also. That goes back to his style. He's entirely capable of fielding a solid defense and usually does. But he's never had a truly dominant defense, at least of the Bears/Ravens variety.

It's not that the defense relies on the cushion of the offense. It's that it's designed to benefit from the game-time situations we expect to be in. The defense sells out to stop the run, funnel receivers inside, and capitalize on pressure on the QB. This is a lot easier to do when playing with a lead and against teams that know they have to score to win.

The problems with the defense have been due to field position due to turnovers, and the impact of injuries, suspensions, and maybe age on the secondary. We've also not had two effective rushers much of the season. Spencer and Newman solve two of those problems.

If the offense can threaten opponents, we'll be in a much better situation to manage games defensively. We're not built to win games the way the Bears/Ravens do. There won't be enough days like the Tampa game.

On a side note, we'll get to see first hand how the Ravens cope with missing their top CB and safety the next few weeks.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Baldinger mentioned this stuff as well. We have no pressure because our guys can't get off blocks. Ratliff and Tank both play from their knees or bent over.

Also busted Cricket with several unfinished blocks.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Idgit;2414583 said:
It's not that the defense relies on the cushion of the offense. It's that it's designed to benefit from the game-time situations we expect to be in. The defense sells out to stop the run, funnel receivers inside, and capitalize on pressure on the QB. This is a lot easier to do when playing with a lead and against teams that know they have to score to win.

The problems with the defense have been due to field position due to turnovers, and the impact of injuries, suspensions, and maybe age on the secondary. We've also not had two effective rushers much of the season. Spencer and Newman solve two of those problems.

If the offense can threaten opponents, we'll be in a much better situation to manage games defensively. We're not built to win games the way the Bears/Ravens do. There won't be enough days like the Tampa game.

On a side note, we'll get to see first hand how the Ravens cope with missing their top CB and safety the next few weeks.
If this defense philosophy is to manage the game...ala a QB that is a "bus driver"...then why so many first round picks and HUGE signing bonuses and costly free agent acquisitions? Why bring in a defensive minded head coach? We have made the kind of investment to EXPECT dominance.

Smith22

Reaction score
Idgit;2414583 said:

That top CB has been out plenty already this year. The difference is, the Ravens front 7 dominate the LOS. I'm pretty sure they are number 1 against the run right now.

mboy22

Reaction score
I have been re-watching most of our games of the season, and one thing I noticed, that is really troubling, is that we hardly blitz on third downs. We only bring a 4 man rush. I think we need to start bringing some of our linebackers up the middle on the blitz on third downs. We blitz more on first and second down than we do on third down.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Alexander;2414555 said:

The defense had good defensive efforts in more than one game. While not necessarily outstanding they were hardly average or mediocre.
@Chi
STL
@BUF
MIN
NYJ
PHI
above average
@Carolina
@Philadelphia

@Cle
TB
above average
@GB
There has been a defensive dropoff this year, but it's not as if Wade has had one good defensive game in his tenure here.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Seven;2414593 said:
Baldinger mentioned this stuff as well. We have no pressure because our guys can't get off blocks. Ratliff and Tank both play from their knees or bent over.

Also busted Cricket with several unfinished blocks.

I think the notion that defenders can't get off blocks is a bit misleading because most offenses have moved to nickel-and-diming our defense; meaning they are mostly attacking it with quick west-coast offense passes. If a normal play lasts 7 seconds and the defended is engaged in the first three passes by an OLinemen, but then comes free for the rush, then that defender looks like he has shaked the block. But if the play lasts 3-4 seconds with the QB getting a short throw off, then it looks like the defenedr has been engaged the whole time, unable to come off the block. But nothing has changed for those first 3 seconds, and this is why it "appears" our defenders can't come off blocks.

The real question then is, how are offenses so successfully nickel-and-diming us? The answer is simple. With the loss of Newman and Pacman, Dallas has been forced to play off the ball, as to not give up the big play with subbed-in rookies. So offenses have responded by nickel-and-diming with success.

I just hope Dalls does not play their corners off now that Newman is back; that's becasue that's what they did the last time Newman and Pacman were out there against Washington in the first game. Then, Dallas played them both off and the Commanders had success nickel-and-diming the defense. Now, it's no shocker that any "prevent" scheme gives up yardage. At least with Newman and Pacman back there the defense gave up fewer points because they are savvy veterans (remember, Washington had 2/3 of the time of possession and only managed to come away with 22 or so points --- nowhere near the blowout you would otherwise expect a team to have if they held the ball that long). But that scheme has unraveled with Newman and Pacman out of the lineup (look at the Rams game; the Ginats game -- where the opponent's extended time-of-possession has resulted in higher points).

So with Newman back in the lineup, Dallas must - and I mean, MUST - press the WRs on the line of scrimmage, otherwise the defensive problems will continue, more time of possession will be given away, and that will yield less time fro Romo to do his thing.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
There is alot that goes into our troubles.

The defense plays a huge role in it for sure.

The 2nd downers need to get off the field on 3rd down occasionally. We are just an average defense that doesnt do any one thing well.

That needs to change in the future for this team to be what we all want it to be.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
There is no denying the fact that this defense has underachieved.

I am still excited to see it at almost full strength for the first time this year.

Spencer has played one game at full speed and now it looks as if we're going to have Newamn at full speed for the first time.

I'd just like to see the defense on the field as it was constructed in the off-season.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bbailey423;2414597 said:
If this defense philosophy is to manage the game...ala a QB that is a "bus driver"...then why so many first round picks and HUGE signing bonuses and costly free agent acquisitions? Why bring in a defensive minded head coach? We have made the kind of investment to EXPECT dominance.

I didn't say they manage the game. We're built to play well against the run and to create big plays in the passing game. We're not doing that for a variety of reasons, but game situations play a big role in our production this year. Fans can expect a particular brand of dominance all they want, but neither side of the ball plays in a vacuum.

We're also not getting the line play from our front 7 that we'd expected. I'm not trying to make the case that the defense is meeting all of its responsibilities.