DMN Blog: John Madden blames 'Boys woes on defense

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
sonnyboy;2414697 said:
There is no denying the fact that this defense has underachieved.

I am still excited to see it at almost full strength for the first time this year.

Spencer has played one game at full speed and now it looks as if we're going to have Newamn at full speed for the first time.
I'd just like to see the defense on the field as it was constructed in the off-season.

How long has Newman been out............................? I'm seeing a winded, worn out CB by the 4th qtr.

Cowboys2008

Reaction score
It's the defenses job to keep the team in games, not for the offense to be so great that a defense just never has to worry. And that's what I've felt this defense has been since early last season, underachievers who expect the offense to win the games for them. We shouldn't have to score so many points, but apparently we do. Our defense sucks and it's been overrated since Parcells was here. Weak minded and pathetic.

khiladi

Reaction score
mboy22;2414608 said:
I have been re-watching most of our games of the season, and one thing I noticed, that is really troubling, is that we hardly blitz on third downs. We only bring a 4 man rush. I think we need to start bringing some of our linebackers up the middle on the blitz on third downs. We blitz more on first and second down than we do on third down.

Bingo... Like I said, Wade plays scared. When we are in 3rd down, he is too scared to attack the QB, afraid of giving up the big play. I've never seen a more passive-aggressive guy, it annoys the hell out of me...

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
khiladi;2414786 said:
Bingo... Like I said, Wade plays scared. When we are in 3rd down, he is too scared to attack the QB, afraid of giving up the big play. I've never seen a more passive-aggressive guy, it annoys the hell out of me...
I'm not defending Wade but
I think he plays to the level of talent on the field. He hasn't the confidence. Frankly, neither do I.

khiladi

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;2414678 said:
I think the notion that defenders can't get off blocks is a bit misleading because most offenses have moved to nickel-and-diming our defense; meaning they are mostly attacking it with quick west-coast offense passes. If a normal play lasts 7 seconds and the defended is engaged in the first three passes by an OLinemen, but then comes free for the rush, then that defender looks like he has shaked the block. But if the play lasts 3-4 seconds with the QB getting a short throw off, then it looks like the defenedr has been engaged the whole time, unable to come off the block. But nothing has changed for those first 3 seconds, and this is why it "appears" our defenders can't come off blocks.

The real question then is, how are offenses so successfully nickel-and-diming us? The answer is simple. With the loss of Newman and Pacman, Dallas has been forced to play off the ball, as to not give up the big play with subbed-in rookies. So offenses have responded by nickel-and-diming with success.

I just hope Dalls does not play their corners off now that Newman is back; that's becasue that's what they did the last time Newman and Pacman were out there against Washington in the first game. Then, Dallas played them both off and the Commanders had success nickel-and-diming the defense. Now, it's no shocker that any "prevent" scheme gives up yardage. At least with Newman and Pacman back there the defense gave up fewer points because they are savvy veterans (remember, Washington had 2/3 of the time of possession and only managed to come away with 22 or so points --- nowhere near the blowout you would otherwise expect a team to have if they held the ball that long). But that scheme has unraveled with Newman and Pacman out of the lineup (look at the Rams game; the Ginats game -- where the opponent's extended time-of-possession has resulted in higher points).

So with Newman back in the lineup, Dallas must - and I mean, MUST - press the WRs on the line of scrimmage, otherwise the defensive problems will continue, more time of possession will be given away, and that will yield less time fro Romo to do his thing.

Again, not true. We have been playing off receivers even when Newman was here. There were even reports around Valley Ranch that Newman wanted to play more press coverage and man. Like I said, Wade plays scared, the greater the stakes in a game. He has his corners play off the receivers on purpose. He doesn't want to get beat deep and he wants to keep the receivers in front of them so as to get a jump on the ball, to create a turnover. In both cases, at least this year, he has failed miserably. His CBs have gotten beat plenty of times, and if the Cleveland receiver held onto the ball, it would have been more. He also keeps his CBs way too far off the LOS. Teams are just dinking-and-dunking and controlling the TOP, wearing this defense out by the 3rd quarter. He also isn't getting pressure up-front to hurry the QB into a throw. If they do get pressure, it is just a tad too late because the CBs are so far off....

khiladi

Reaction score
That, to me, is Wade's biggest fault. Against the Patriots when San Diego DC, he called a brilliant defensive game-plan, forcing Brady into 3 INTs. But at the end of the game, he went prevent, allowing Brady to move the ball downfiled and score, putting them in a good situation to get the lead the next drive. Of course, if it weren't for the fact the Chargers safety dropped the ball on the next drive after the INT, they would have won, but it was because Wade went aggressive again that forced that final INT.The same exact thing happened against the Giants last year, when Dallas went allowed Eli Manning to score on the last drive. That was the oppurtune time to turn the pressure on, but Wade went soft.I have never witnessed, at least in Dallas, Wade bring sustained pressure. It is frustrating as hell, because when he does bring it, he is quite successful at it. The Giants last year, he confused Eli into 8 delay of game penalties. When he blitzed and was aggressive against the Giants this game, he was successful. But yet again, on 3rd and long, he back off, and this team would give up a first down on third and long.Good pressure makes even average CBs look good. And we have better than average CBs, even the rookie ones.

khiladi

Reaction score
Cowboys2008;2414732 said:
It's the defenses job to keep the team in games, not for the offense to be so great that a defense just never has to worry. And that's what I've felt this defense has been since early last season, underachievers who expect the offense to win the games for them. We shouldn't have to score so many points, but apparently we do. Our defense sucks and it's been overrated since Parcells was here. Weak minded and pathetic.

Exactly... Is the offense suppose to bail out the defense all the time? Why is the defense giving up, when their offense freaking bailed their sorry butts out all last year.... If the offense doesn't bring it, the defense is suppose to keep them in the game and give them chances.

khiladi

Reaction score
Wade can't coach his way out of his cowardice... He better bring the defensive pressure, because if he doesn't, the pressure is gonna come from on top, directed at him...

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
I know a lot of people don't like Ditka, and he says some stupid things - or at least he starts to before he interrupts himself.

But he said something to the effect that defense was more about hard work - on and off the field - and desire than talent. He said that the team that hits the hardest usually wins. I don't know if that's true or not, but more often than not, I don't see our defense punishing the opposing offense.

I still think that a lot of guys on our defense have talent. More often than not, I just think the other team wants it more. That certainly appeared to me to be the case in the Commander game.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
khiladi;2414792 said:
Again, not true. We have been playing off receivers even when Newman was here. There were even reports around Valley Ranch that Newman wanted to play more press coverage and man. Like I said, Wade plays scared, the greater the stakes in a game. He has his corners play off the receivers on purpose. He doesn't want to get beat deep and he wants to keep the receivers in front of them so as to get a jump on the ball, to create a turnover. In both cases, at least this year, he has failed miserably. His CBs have gotten beat plenty of times, and if the Cleveland receiver held onto the ball, it would have been more. He also keeps his CBs way too far off the LOS. Teams are just dinking-and-dunking and controlling the TOP, wearing this defense out by the 3rd quarter. He also isn't getting pressure up-front to hurry the QB into a throw. If they do get pressure, it is just a tad too late because the CBs are so far off....

The CBs take the outside position to route traffic inside, which makes us susceptible to the inside routes, but like you say, this is by design. It's not Wade failing miserably when we're getting beat by the big play anyway and/or not getting turnovers at the rate we should. Or if it is, it's his fault in not developing the secondary properly and not a problem with the scheme. No scheme accounts for blown assignments.

The players were lobbying for more press coverage because they believe we've got the coverage guys to play that way. But what's the point of making the QB's reads easier if you're not able to get to him in time to affect the throw? Press would be a disaster with this current group, and if we'd gone to it, everybody who's riding Wade so hard already would be right to be as indignant as they are.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2414540 said:
John Madden thought he might see a 9-0 Cowboys team on Sunday

11:48 AM Wed, Nov 12, 2008 | Permalink
Barry Horn http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

That was after he called the Cowboys 27-16 victory over the Packers in Week 3. Now, as he prepares for Sunday night's Cowboys-Commanders game, he doesn't know what to expect.

"They just looked - after the first three games - like they would be 9-0 or maybe 8-1," Madden said on a NBC conference call. "People were writing, 'Are they going to be the Patriots of last year?' And I kind of agreed with that."
So what happened?

"The defense - I thought it was going to be better than they were," Madden said.

Not the injury to Tony Romo?

"When the quarterback goes down it's easy to say that's the whole thing," he said. "It's not."

Madden believes that the Cowboys defense relatively high ranking in sacks (third in the NFC, fifth in the league) is an empty number. They have 26 sacks.

"(DeMarcus) Ware is a good pass rusher and I like (Jay) Ratliff inside," he said, adding that Greg Ellis has "not been Ellis." And "I don't see any pressure from the defensive ends."

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/images/ice3/icons/blog.gif Comments (9) Leave comment | TrackBack (0) | http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail entry

But Brad Johnson didn't do the defense any favors and he set back QB'ing 40 years and Brooks Bollinger isn't anything to right home about either both will be bagging grocery by the end of the season.....w/e Madden stay in the both football has passed you Madden :chainsaw: :chop: /sarcasm

RoadRunner

Reaction score
Alexander;2414555 said:
In the last two years, we have seen one truly outstanding defensive effort (Tampa Bay) and average to mediocre the rest of the way.

I think you are being too kind. The defense has downright stunk in a lot of games this year.

zeroburrito

Reaction score
i actually think it's the offense thats causing this. when your offense can't stay on the field your defense is obviously going to give up points. the defense has been playing better than the scores indicate. the offense just can't stay on the field for longer than 2 first downs.

RoadRunner

Reaction score
zeroburrito;2414836 said:
i actually think it's the offense thats causing this. when your offense can't stay on the field your defense is obviously going to give up points. the defense has been playing better than the scores indicate. the offense just can't stay on the field for longer than 2 first downs.

I think you must be watching a different team, or you live in an alternate universe.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Cowboys2008;2414732 said:

The Cowboys have turned the ball over 18 times while the opponents have turned it over 10 times. The offense and special teams have put them in way too many tough situations. The offense and the special teams basically lost the Cardinals game. Yes, the defense gave up the 3rd and 17, but a blocked punt and a kickoff return for a touchdow did them in. The defense gave up 17 points and held Waner to his lowest output of the year. The offense failed to take advantage of a turn-over on the Cardiinals' 25 yard line, because they turned the ball right back over to the Cardinals on the very next play. Plus, the offense failed to score after the Cardinals' failed on-side kick.

This defense isn't dominant, but it can be very good and have some great games if your offense doesn't give games away by turning the ball over and going 3 and out too many times or at bad times.

Starting Terence Newman, Mike Jenkins, and Anthony Spencer can upgrade it, but any other personnel moves will have to wait for next year.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RoadRunner;2414844 said:
I think you must be watching a different team, or you live in an alternate universe.

It's not just the offense, it's special teams, too. I'd agree with his assessment, more or less. The defensive front 7 has been underperforming. The secondary has been riddled with injuries, inexperience, and suspensions. There are good reasons why they're not playing well.

ST coverage has been really bad, and we're losing the TO battle and not sustaining drives. Basically, we're putting the defense in a position to fail, and they're obliging--relatively speaking.

The good news is that unit's getting a couple of key players back, and that things are likely to improve dramatically in terms of the game situations we'll be relying on them in.

RoadRunner

Reaction score
All the excuses for this defense do not erase the inability to get off the field on third down. It doesn't matter how you got there, or where you are on the field, if you can't stop third down then its all on the defense.

RoadRunner

Reaction score
Idgit;2414861 said:
It's not just the offense, it's special teams, too. I'd agree with his assessment, more or less. The defensive front 7 has been underperforming. The secondary has been riddled with injuries, inexperience, and suspensions. There are good reasons why they're not playing well.

ST coverage has been really bad, and we're losing the TO battle and not sustaining drives. Basically, we're putting the defense in a position to fail, and they're obliging--relatively speaking.

The good news is that unit's getting a couple of key players back, and that things are likely to improve dramatically in terms of the game situations we'll be relying on them in.

We were sustaining drives with Romo in there, and yet the defense stunk it up then too. Only good game they have had this year is against Tampa, and that was with Brad Johnson.

The defense has only itself to blame for not manning up and playing hard.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RoadRunner;2414866 said:
We were sustaining drives with Romo in there, and yet the defense stunk it up then too. Only good game they have had this year is against Tampa, and that was with Brad Johnson.

The defense has only itself to blame for not manning up and playing hard.

Nah. They were great against TB and were good against CLE and GB, too. WAS they wore down, but Campbell did a really good job of executing that day, and they were on the field a long, long time.

PHI and AZ were good offenses playing well, and there are going to be games like that.

They blew it against the Rams and the Giants, definitely. And weren't very good against CIN.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I agree to an extent but the offense over the last 3 games have really put the defense in bad situation. Even the Giants were giving up points to Philly when their offense was turning the ball over on their end of the field.