DMN Blog: Mendenhall could be a target if Broncos bail

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Moving up to get the best back?
1:37 PM Tue, Apr 08, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Albert Breer E-mail News tips

Of course, everyone knows I'm talking about Rashard Mendenhall. Or at least if you read this blog, you're well aware that he'll be a better pro than Darren McFadden.

Anyway, the Broncos may be looking to move out of the 12th overall spot. According to this report from Mike Klis of the Denver Post, they could be willing to take a late first-rounder, along with a third-rounder for that pick. And the 12th slot is key, because it's one spot ahead of Carolina, who I've heard likes the Illinois stud quite a bit.

So do you trade, say, the 28th and 92nd picks to get up to 12th overall? Or even the 22nd and 92nd picks? I can see this two ways. There are three backs atop the heap in this draft, and one of them is hurt. If you're set on getting one of those guys, Mendenhall's probably going to bring the best immediate value and, ultimately, be the best player.

Still, I don't like the idea of trading up in most circumstances, especially when you're moving up 10 slots or more. I think Mendenhall is going to be a star. But at that position, I'd hesitate to pay big bonus money, although the Bills did get Marshawn Lynch in at reasonable dollars (five years, $18.9 million; $ 10.3 million guaranteed) after drafting him 12th overall last year.

The other issue becomes whether you can then give Marion Barber the bank-breaking deal he'll want, and sink that much money and long-term commitment into two players at one position, a spot that a lot teams have been able to get by at on the cheap of late (the leading rushers in two of the last three Super Bowls were undrafted free agents, the other was a seventh-round pick). So if you draft Mendenhall, do you coax Barber to sign the tender and then let him go after a year?

There would layers to this thing, if it were to happen.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I would do 22 and 93 in a heartbeat. i dont know about Mendenhall there although I really really like him but one of the top CBs will definitely be there.

i would do that trade now if theyd take it.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Mendenhall is who I think the Lions will want unless McFadden falls. Once they get him, they will want more OL help, which is why Roy Williams can save them if they trade him. They will use the pick from us for OL.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;2028971 said:
Mendenhall isn't worth moving up that far... I'd just take Kevin Smith in the 2nd or 3rd round.

For only an additional third hes worth it. what a trade up like that should be worth is another story.

kTXe

On To The Next One
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2028943 said:
I would do 22 and 93 in a heartbeat. i dont know about Mendenhall there although I really really like him but one of the top CBs will definitely be there.

i would do that trade now if theyd take it.
Absolutely. That trade would be highway robbery for us.

BigWillie

Reaction score
If I am moving up to #12, I am hoping for DRC, not some running back.

As is ALWAYS the theme on draft day, RBs will fall lower than they are expected to be selected.

xpistofer

Reaction score
I just do not get it. I am absolutely blown away that we are talking about drafting any running back in the 1st round. We should be drafting a complement to barber in the 2nd or 3rd. If we are going to pick a runner with a 1st rounder, then in my opinion we need to trade mb3...you can't have so much tied up in two running backs.

I will be very disappointed if we draft a runner in the 1st.

Reaction score
xpistofer;2028984 said:
I just do not get it. I am absolutely blown away that we are talking about drafting any running back in the 1st round. We should be drafting a complement to barber in the 2nd or 3rd. If we are going to pick a runner with a 1st rounder, then in my opinion we need to trade mb3...you can't have so much tied up in two running backs.

I will be very disappointed if we draft a runner in the 1st.

I like the idea of having two really good running backs...

mboy22

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;2029070 said:
Why? You don't need two great running backs to go to the superbowl. You need a good RB and a compliment like the two superbowl teams had.

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
1st round RB = no more MBIII after this year in all likelihood. Barber and his agent will want a fortune to sign and it will be too tempting not to pay that amount of $$$ on a part time back.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I would prefer to trade up for one of the top corners if possible.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
for those who would be upset w/ a RB in the 1st, might have to accept the possibility that it could happen

BHendri5

Reaction score
Hostile;2028948 said:
Mendenhall is who I think the Lions will want unless McFadden falls. Once they get him, they will want more OL help, which is why Roy Williams can save them if they trade him. They will use the pick from us for OL.[/QU

I would love for them to get one fo the top 3 considered backs, in my opinion after watching all three highlights along with watching Ray Rice's highlights.

I still say Rice will be the better Pro Back. Emmitt Smith is the reason why I like Ray Rice so much, I see in Rice what I saw in Emmitt

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2029116 said:
for those who would be upset w/ a RB in the 1st, might have to accept the possibility that it could happen

If I am going up to 12, it is to get DRC not some backup RB.

Somebody tell me we are not going to burn the 12th overall on a backup RB, that would be ****** dumb.

If Barber wants too much and is gone after this year, forget 12 and just pitch in our 2009 1st and go get McFadden.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Beast_from_East;2029197 said:
If I am going up to 12, it is to get DRC not some backup RB.

Somebody tell me we are not going to burn the 12th overall on a backup RB, that would be ****** dumb.

If Barber wants too much and is gone after this year, forget 12 and just pitch in our 2009 1st and go get McFadden.

same here, just saying that to be upset w/ the prospect of us taking a back in the 1st isn't looking at things realistically anymore

xpistofer

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;2029070 said:

I like the idea of having three. the question is what price are we willing to pay...

xpistofer

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2029116 said:

i'm working on it.:(

jswalker1981

Fact > Your Opinion
Reaction score
Dhragon;2029078 said:
1st round RB = no more MBIII after this year in all likelihood. Barber and his agent will want a fortune to sign and it will be too tempting not to pay that amount of $$$ on a part time back.

What about the Saints? McAllister was a first rounder when they had Ricky Williams, they traded him away, and re-signed McAllister, only to draft Reggie Bush with the #2 overall pick. So I think a good RB can co-exist with a first round pick. If we work it the right way, we can keep both of them.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2029201 said:
same here, just saying that to be upset w/ the prospect of us taking a back in the 1st isn't looking at things realistically anymore

Man I hope you are wrong on this.

Why in the world would we trade up for a RB not named McFadden in one of the deepest RB classes of all time? It makes absolutely no sense.

The only RB in this draft I would even consider moving up for is McFadden, that it.