DMN Blog: Mendenhall could be a target if Broncos bail

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
A 1st and 3rd for a backup RB? Wow, is right.

DRC would be the better option at 12.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Beast_from_East;2029226 said:
Man I hope you are wrong on this.

Why in the world would we trade up for a RB not named McFadden in one of the deepest RB classes of all time? It makes absolutely no sense.

The only RB in this draft I would even consider moving up for is McFadden, that it.

I'm not talking about trading up for a back, just taking one in the 1st in general

I know we have a chance to draft either Jonathan Stewart or Felix Jones in the 1st

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
jswalker1981;2029217 said:
What about the Saints? McAllister was a first rounder when they had Ricky Williams, they traded him away, and re-signed McAllister, only to draft Reggie Bush with the #2 overall pick. So I think a good RB can co-exist with a first round pick. If we work it the right way, we can keep both of them.

No prospect we draft is going to start unless were in the top 10.

No CB is going to unseat Henry immediately. No WR either. RB is no different. Really on the roster the only positions that i see that could be replaced by a rookie would be NT and LOG where Kosier could be upgraded by a guy like Alberts or Ratliff could move to starting DE for a guy like Bryant.

Using the fact that we have superb talent as an excuse not to draft superb talent is a poor excuse. We are imminently in a good position for BPA and moving ten spots in the first round for a 3rd rounder is an absolute steal.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Actually the more i think about it the less i like the 22 slot for us.

Talib is a suspension risk cause he likes getting high.
Jenkins doesnt play hard.
F Jones is a reach here.
J Stew is an injury risk and at RB that is problematic.
WR in the first are a big risk and take a long time to develop.
Alberts is good but we really dont need a guard.

i actually wouldnt hate trading up to get a guy like Mendenhall or even more so Mckelvin or DRC.

TEUFELI

Reaction score
Beast_from_East;2029197 said:
If I am going up to 12, it is to get DRC not some backup RB.

Somebody tell me we are not going to burn the 12th overall on a backup RB, that would be ****** dumb.

If Barber wants too much and is gone after this year, forget 12 and just pitch in our 2009 1st and go get McFadden.

:hammer:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2029243 said:

F Jones is a reach here.

i actually wouldnt hate trading up to get a guy like Mendenhall or even more so Mckelvin or DRC.

If our coaches and scouts think that Mendenhall is THAT much better than everyone else besides McFadden, then I wouldn't have a problem moving up for him either... particularly if all we'd have to give is a third.

He might be a franchise back. If we think he will be then by all means, go get him, IMO.

StarHead69

Reaction score
What player would you guys trade #22 or #28 plus our 3rd to grab with Denver's #12 pick?

I would do it to get Mckelvin or DRC and then use the other to try to pry Roy11 from the lions.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Mendenhall will be a pure stud in the NFL, unfortunately I can't imagine the Boys moving up to select him.

jswalker1981

Fact > Your Opinion
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2029437 said:
Seems to me we should sign Barber today......

I think that Jerry wants to sign him, but I think right now he is going to wait to see what happens in the draft. And as much as I would rather draft a CB in the first and a RB in the second, waiting is a good idea. Crazy things happen in the draft, look at Steven Jackson and Brady Quinn. So if Darren McFadden falls far enough for us to get him, than we may get him, and then only sign Barber to a one-year deal. I would rather have Barber signed to a long-term deal, draft a CB in the first, trade our 28 for a WR, and get a RB in the 2nd round. But I don't run the show, so all I can hope for that whatever happens, it doesn't cripple the future of the team.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why don't we stay where we are at (or move up a few spots) and draft Rice in the 2nd round instead?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
There's no one at CB or RB that I'd move up to #12 for. There just isn't that much difference between these guys. I'd stay where I am or even trade down if the value for us isn't there.

1. I still say we don't need a RB in the first round...that is indeed too much cap money to put into two RB's, especially with a young probowl back already on the roster and plenty of depth in rounds 2-3 for complimentary backs to replace JJ.

2. I'm very skeptical about the CB's...there's a reason none of them are considered super blue chippers who warrant a top ten selection. Everyone around here is so fired up over Cromartie simply because he had good reports during pro bowl week and ran a top 40...most reports indicate that he really struggled at a small school this past year, allowing inferior WR's to get separation regularly and that he gave up a ton of receptions...I suppose if someone were interested, they could find the stats.

3. Certainly there are no WR's worthy of that high a selection.

NO, I'd stay right where I am with my top 3 selections and I'd make sure I'm ready to get a CB who will be an improvement over Reeves and Jones, a WR who will be an improvement over at least the bottom of our depth chart and possibly one who will contribute immediately as a #3 the way Smith in NY did, and a RB who will step in and fill JJ's role.

I would not give up some of those picks just to move up that far and get a guy from the same tier of players at WR or CB who just happens to be considered by many to be a slightly better prospect.

Unless we're going to throttle back on MBIII again and hold his carries to 12-15 per game, I see no reason whatsoever to trade away picks, move up, and then take another RB.

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
I certainly hope those who are aghast that we might trade up in the first round to get a "part time RB" aren't the same ones who are dead set on signing MBIII to a new contract when said contract will be huge $$$ and MBIII himself is only a "part time RB". Don't get me wrong, for the most part I agree with the idea of not drafting a RB in first round, just not the discrepancies of the idea when it then comes to Barber.

I can see the argument for not moving up or even using a first rounder at all on RB. Unless we can get an potentially elite RB ala McFadden ( sorry MBIII isn't - any RB who doesn't stand a chance of running anything more than 30 yards or so because he lacks speed isn't elite. He's exciting with his bruising style, but not elite ) recent history has shown us good RBs can easily be had in later rounds.

So either hit for the fences and try and get an elite RB (McFadden, or if they really think Mendenhall is an elite in waiting they could trade with Broncos I guess) or go cheap and use later round RBs and use the cap money in other areas. By no means though should the Cowboys spend elite $$$ on a non elite RB (MBIII next year). Nor should they spend a late first rounder on a Felix Jones ( again unless they truly believe he has a good chance to become elite not merely very good ).

So go cheap if you must Cowboys, but if you go expensive, go elite.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jswalker1981;2029217 said:
What about the Saints? McAllister was a first rounder when they had Ricky Williams, they traded him away, and re-signed McAllister, only to draft Reggie Bush with the #2 overall pick. So I think a good RB can co-exist with a first round pick. If we work it the right way, we can keep both of them.
Can we really compare the two team's separate situations?

On the one hand, New Orleans had to solidify their running back position with someone other than Puff The Magic Dragon when they drafted McAllister. The Saints love Deuce, but his knees have taken a constant beating in his short career. The selection of Bush was more of a necessity than an option at the time.

On the other hand, Dallas loves Barber and he's healthy, but they don't believe than he can carry the whole load for an entire season. Another good/great RB will solve that dilemma. I believe that a two-back set will be the motivation for the Cowboys in keeping both Barber and __________. Jerry Jones will find a way for it to work.

TEUFELI

Reaction score
wayne motley;2029464 said:
There's no one at CB or RB that I'd move up to #12 for. There just isn't that much difference between these guys. I'd stay where I am or even trade down if the value for us isn't there.

1. I still say we don't need a RB in the first round...that is indeed too much cap money to put into two RB's, especially with a young probowl back already on the roster and plenty of depth in rounds 2-3 for complimentary backs to replace JJ.

2. I'm very skeptical about the CB's...there's a reason none of them are considered super blue chippers who warrant a top ten selection. Everyone around here is so fired up over Cromartie simply because he had good reports during pro bowl week and ran a top 40...most reports indicate that he really struggled at a small school this past year, allowing inferior WR's to get separation regularly and that he gave up a ton of receptions...I suppose if someone were interested, they could find the stats.

3. Certainly there are no WR's worthy of that high a selection.

NO, I'd stay right where I am with my top 3 selections and I'd make sure I'm ready to get a CB who will be an improvement over Reeves and Jones, a WR who will be an improvement over at least the bottom of our depth chart and possibly one who will contribute immediately as a #3 the way Smith in NY did, and a RB who will step in and fill JJ's role.

I would not give up some of those picks just to move up that far and get a guy from the same tier of players at WR or CB who just happens to be considered by many to be a slightly better prospect.

Unless we're going to throttle back on MBIII again and hold his carries to 12-15 per game, I see no reason whatsoever to trade away picks, move up, and then take another RB.

I have looked for stats or prospect evals that report DRC struggling against inferior WR's. I havent been able to find any, and certainly not "most." I could be wrong, and I am not merely trying to be argumentative, but I would genuinly like to know, so if you are aware of this info, I would love a source or two...

SMCowboy

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2029243 said:

F Jones is a reach here.

I have no problem with the #22 spot, because we are not going to actually make a pick from the #22 spot. Jerry Jones has already said, that the biggest regret he has, is trading DOWN, NOT UP during the early to mid 90's. He is not interested in quantity of players, we already have guys on the team that will no doubt have to be cut in training camp, that will quickly be picked up by other teams. What he is interested in is quality of the players.

The best type of trade we could make would be to trade both 1st round picks to move up in the first round and pickup an extra 2nd round pick in the process. We have 3 positions that we would like to spend a first day pick on, and we currently have 4 first day picks.

SMCowboy

Reaction score
TEUFELI;2029505 said:
I have looked for stats or prospect evals that report DRC struggling against inferior WR's. I havent been able to find any, and certainly not "most." I could be wrong, and I am not merely trying to be argumentative, but I would genuinly like to know, so if you are aware of this info, I would love a source or two...

I agree, I am by no means an expert on where players should get drafted. As much as I would love it, I don't have the time to watch every player enough to know where they should be drafted. But, what I remember hearing about DRC, was he was considered more of a late first round prospect, just because he came from a small school, and teams questioned his level of competition. But when he went to the Senior Bowl and dominated the senior bowl, the level of competition argument went out the window.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Why is everyone so ready to draft a replacement for Barber???

Barber was a bright spot in an incredible offensive year.

UnfreakinBelievable

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I'd like to move up and get DRC or maybe McKelvin, if either dropped, and then get Ray Rice in round two. Especially if our other first is used for a trade for RW or Chad.

That would thrill me to no end.

Reaction score
Rogers- Cromartie is officially the most overrated defensive player in this draft. He would be lucky to make an impact in the NFL in his second year. Trade up for him? WOW.................I bet these are the same people that criticize how Jerry has handled the draft in the past.