DMN Blog: Newman's going nowhere

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
6:48 PM Sun, Apr 27, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Todd Archer E-mail News tips

The Cowboys added two cornerbacks in the draft, Michael Jenkins in the first round and Orlando Scandrick in the fifth round, and finally traded for Pacman Jones, leaving some - OK, at the very least Timmy Mac - to winder if the Cowboys are preparing to say goodbye to Terence Newman once he plays out the final year of his contract in 2008.

Preposterous, but we'll let executuve vice president Stephen Jones have a say.

"Terence is a guy we want here. Period," Jones said of their 2003 first-rounder and a Pro Bowler in 2007.

The Cowboys would like to kick up talks with Newman's agent in the future. Jones did not sound the least but concerned about Newman turning 30 in September.

"I think Terence Newman is playing for as long as we want to sign him for," Jones said. "He takes great care of himself. He's a first-class guy. He's everything you want in a football player."

calico

Reaction score
The contract negotiations with T-New will be very interesting this year to say the least.

Eskimo

Reaction score
If they can work the numbers to sign Ware, Newman, Canty and Barber then that is brilliant.

However weighing things like the ability to influence the game, the presence of capable backups and the ease of finding a replacement in FA/draft I think we would have to establish the following priorities:

Ware > Canty > TNew >Barber

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
GREAT news Zoners.....

I was concerned we could not afford all of these new CBs plus pacman....signing Ware etc....guess we have $$$$$$$$$

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
calico;2059640 said:
The contract negotiations with T-New will be very interesting this year to say the least.

same with Barber.......

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Eskimo;2059650 said:
If they can work the numbers to sign Ware, Newman, Canty and Barber then that is brilliant.

However weighing things like the ability to influence the game, the presence of capable backups and the ease of finding a replacement in FA/draft I think we would have to establish the following priorities:

Canty is not as important as Newman

If the decision came down to those two, its a no brainer...you keep the CB

David

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Eskimo;2059650 said:

Don't forget Terrell Owens too, he is in year three of a three year contract.

Eskimo

Reaction score
dbair1967;2059715 said:
Canty is not as important as Newman

If the decision came down to those two, its a no brainer...you keep the CB

David

Canty is not a better player but given issues such as age and the money that is involved, he is a more efficient use of cap dollars and should be a high priority.

Newman has been talking about wanting to be paid like the best - the going rate right now is 6-8 years for $10M/yr. If we can afford it, great. I don't begrudge him the money that he has earned. Someone will pay him, but it may be somebody else.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Eskimo;2059740 said:
Canty is not a better player but given issues such as age and the money that is involved, he is a more efficient use of cap dollars and should be a high priority.

Newman has been talking about wanting to be paid like the best - the going rate right now is 6-8 years for $10M/yr. If we can afford it, great. I don't begrudge him the money that he has earned. Someone will pay him, but it may be somebody else.

you keep impact players...Newman is an impact player, Canty is a good player but is a DE in the 3-4 defense...I'd like to see him stay long term too, but its much easier to find solid 3-4 DE's than shutdown CB's

David

utrunner07

Reaction score
Eskimo;2059650 said:

I honestly don't think you understand the importance of the CB position, how good TNew is, what this team would be like with out him and how rare he is....

ware and canty have probably 10-12 equals in the league (more like 20 for Canty) Newman has 2. Keep Newman period.

Eskimo

Reaction score
TheSkaven;2059729 said:
Don't forget Terrell Owens too, he is in year three of a three year contract.

Hard to say what to do about TO. If there is another #1 WR available next year we would have to seriously think about getting younger here. I would have no problem giving him another 2-3 year deal if there were no better options.

The reason why TO doesn't come to mind as quickly is that his dollars aren't likely to escalate in the next contract. He got $25M over 3 years and that would be the ballpark for his extension.

Tnew is probably going from about $3M/yr to $10M/yr and Canty is going from less than $1M/yr to about $5M/yr.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Dude. This CB depth is disgusting.

Hats off Jerruh. You took a real weakness and turned it into scary strength and potential....

Eskimo

Reaction score
utrunner07;2059751 said:
I honestly don't think you understand the importance of the CB position, how good TNew is, what this team would be like with out him and how rare he is....

ware and canty have probably 10-12 equals in the league (more like 20 for Canty) Newman has 2. Keep Newman period.

Teams just attack you where you are weakest. Last year that meant attacking Henry, Reeves and RoyW. I really think the impact of a #1 CB is declining over time due to the spread offenses and the tightening up of PI rules.

It is much better to have a solid secondary without a superstar than one superstar with a couple of stiffs on the field. It certainly didn't impede the Giants from knocking off the Pats.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
It's good to hear that they do believe they can get him resigned. That is good news, to me.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Eskimo;2059761 said:
Teams just attack you where you are weakest. Last year that meant attacking Henry, Reeves and RoyW. I really think the impact of a #1 CB is declining over time due to the spread offenses and the tightening up of PI rules.
I dunno, I consider Andy Reid and Jim Johnson very smart football guys, and they just decided to pay one a fortune.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2059843 said:
I dunno, I consider Andy Reid and Jim Johnson very smart football guys, and they just decided to pay one a fortune.

Different people can have different perspectives on this.

The thing with the Eagles is their MO on defense is to cover aggressively with CBs and come after QBs with exotic blitz packages. Such a defense requires premium CBs.

We really didn't do it much last year overall.

I still contend that it is much better to have three good CBs than one great CB and two below average ones. The effect of one truly superior CB on most games is small. Deion was a bit of an exception as the DC would single Deion on the other team's #1 and dictate that as the matchup they wanted. We have never shown any inclination to do the same with TNew.

I just don't think shutdown CBs bring as much value to a defense as is commonly thought. I'd rather spend the $10M/yr elsewhere.