DMN Blog on Roy

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Roy Williams stuff
10:30 AM Thu, Jan 24, 2008 | Permalink
Calvin Watkins E-mail News tips

Talked to a few people at the Senior Bowl about strong safety Roy Williams.
Many have no answers as to why his play has declined the last few years.

But several things are certain according to two defensive coaches and one tight ends coach: Williams isn't reading plays well, looks out of shape and hasn't improved his tackling skills. He horse-collars running backs and wide receivers because he takes bad angles.

Williams was never a good cover guy, but as the tight end coach said, "he's a box guy." Meaning, play near the linebackers and stop the run.
Can Williams become a linebacker? Nope. He's too small.
Will the Cowboys cut him? Nope. That $11.1 million dollar signing bonus messes that up in someways.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
These comments -- especially the weight and not reading the play well suggest something very troubling about Roy -- that he just doesn't work hard enough in the weight or film room.

Woods

Reaction score
abersonc;1924832 said:
Roy Williams stuff
10:30 AM Thu, Jan 24, 2008 | Permalink
Calvin Watkins E-mail News tips

Talked to a few people at the Senior Bowl about strong safety Roy Williams.
Many have no answers as to why his play has declined the last few years.

But several things are certain according to two defensive coaches and one tight ends coach: Williams isn't reading plays well, looks out of shape and hasn't improved his tackling skills. He horse-collars running backs and wide receivers because he takes bad angles.

Williams was never a good cover guy, but as the tight end coach said, "he's a box guy." Meaning, play near the linebackers and stop the run.
Can Williams become a linebacker? Nope. He's too small.
Will the Cowboys cut him? Nope. That $11.1 million dollar signing bonus messes that up in someways.

I'm probably stating the obvious, but with some work RW can get in better shape and spend more time in the film room/with coaches to improve his recognition of plays. And, he can work on his tackling, of course.

It's really up to him to want to continue to improve his game.

Personally, I think he will re-dedicate himself. Maybe that's one of the reasons he wants to change his uniform number? He knows he can do better.

Anyway, I'm holding out hope for 1 more season.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
And for the inevitable posts that say "Roy was the lightest he had been before last season"

Cutting weight does mean that you are in shape.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pathetic..............cut 'your' losses and move on. I question not only his ability, but his heart and/or lack thereof.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Woods;1924840 said:
I'm probably stating the obvious, but with some work RW can get in better shape and spend more time in the film room/with coaches to improve his recognition of plays. And, he can work on his tackling, of course.

Personally, I think he will re-dedicate himself. Maybe that's one of the reasons he wants to change his uniform number? He knows he can do better.

Well that was my thoughts going into this year, hoping he would re-dedicate himself, but that hasn't happened. It really looks like he's taken his payday and now just goes through the motions. I hope I have to eat my words come next season, I really do, but I just can't see it happening.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Woods;1924840 said:

I held out hope that he would be a better player this year.

I have never really said anything bad about him and have defended him many times. After watching that giants game and seeing the giants just do everything to give them enough time to throw at williams and reeves, it was just to easy.

He is a critical problem in our defense and if he is as laid back in the locker room as he is on the field and in warmups etc...then he is part of the overall problem this team has.

Unfortunately because of his money he can not be traded or released, and I am not sure he needs either of those. What we do need is an athletic ss that can play the run and knock a few balls down in the air, roy needs competition and he will be on the team next year, but I dont think there should be any reason that he will be just given the position.

I really hope we find a replacement in this years draft who either outplays roy or makes roy play with the fire he used to.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
This is about the 20th time I have posted this but some people just don't want to believe it. Roy got his money and now he doesn't really care. He is just going through the motions until he is released or his contract runs out. It is as obvious as anything can be and if you can't see it, you need to take off your homer glasses. The team would be much better off without Roy Williams on the team. I think his attitude and lack of desire on the field is a big reason the team continues to decline in December. That kind of thing has a way of infecting others.

Mash

Reaction score
We all knew he was lazy....

The guy never took the blame.....always had a excuse.......IMHO never looks in that great of shape.

Mark it down to another player cashing in on rep and now just enjoying the his time. IMHO Roy doesnt want to get better.......his focus is on something else instead of football.

superpunk

Reaction score
abersonc;1924836 said:
These comments -- especially the weight and not reading the play well suggest something very troubling about Roy -- that he just doesn't work hard enough in the weight or film room.

Which completely goes against what we heard about him from Parcells, and from last offseason.

The decline is undeniable - but I don't think it's quantifiable, especially when the explanation put on it by outsiders is contrary to what the coaching staff and other players say to the press.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Thehoofbite;1924846 said:
And for the inevitable posts that say "Roy was the lightest he had been before last season"

Cutting weight does mean that you are in shape.

Plus, didn't he lose about 25 lbs. in the span of a few weeks by doing some radical detox crash diet? As soon as you go back to your regular lifestyle and diet that weight is going to come right back on. I think one of the reasons he takes bad angles is his mind thinks he can take a certain angle, but his body simply can't get there. I've said it before, it looks like he's running with concrete shoes on.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
Mash;1924854 said:
We all knew he was lazy....

The guy never took the blame.....always had a excuse.......IMHO never looks in that great of shape.

Mark it down to another player cashing in on rep and now just enjoying the his time. IMHO Roy doesnt want to get better.......his focus is on something else instead of football.

I would rather play a young hungry player that trys --then Roy or anyone like him

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
His work ethic and dedication were questioned all the way back to OU. He was just so dominant physically and had such amazing instincts, he could get away with it. He didn't bench much at the combine despite his size and natural strength because he didn't work at it.

Reaction score
Roy Williams wasn't worth that huge contract... I stated that a few years ago and people went crazy...:laugh2:

StarMan2112

Reaction score
Personally I have given up on Roy Williams. I know cutting him would be a huge salary cap hit, but what are you going to do? Pay him mega millions to be a backup? Let him keep his starting job and continue killing us with his subpar play?

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1924912 said:
His work ethic and dedication were questioned all the way back to OU. He was just so dominant physically and had such amazing instincts, he could get away with it. He didn't bench much at the combine despite his size and natural strength because he didn't work at it.

Well, since he's wearing #38 next year maybe he's reinventing himself and plans to work harder in the weight program and film room? Probably not.

khiladi

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1924862 said:
Plus, didn't he lose about 25 lbs. in the span of a few weeks by doing some radical detox crash diet? As soon as you go back to your regular lifestyle and diet that weight is going to come right back on. I think one of the reasons he takes bad angles is his mind thinks he can take a certain angle, but his body simply can't get there. I've said it before, it looks like he's running with concrete shoes on.

He lost 25 lbs of weight that he gained in the off-season... so he technically lost 25 lbs of his NON-PLAYING, I became a FAT SLOB weight....

khiladi

Reaction score
Zimmy Lives;1924947 said:
Well, since he's wearing #38 next year maybe he's reinventing himself and plans to work harder in the weight program and film room? Probably not.

he likens the number change to his finding religion... a new spirituality so to speak... meaning, he probably thinks he'll become a player through some miraculous intervention...

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Interesting read.

Nate Newton and Tony Casillias made similar comments about Roy Williams taking bad angles as a possible reason why he uses the Horse Collar.

However, there are counterarguments to possibly debunk that claim.

Suffice it to say, it is very unfair to attribute Roy Williams' recent struggles to laziness and a lack of motivation.

Personally, I think even Roy Williams casually admitted that his play isn't where it needs to be when he compared his donning of a new jersey number to "a new beginning". It may be a case of just reading too much into things, but I just don't think guys that are quite content with their play talk in such a manner.

I think attaining his old college number is very symbolic to Roy Williams. Mentally, I think he is going to use it as motivation and a means of getting back to playing the way he did at The University of Oklahoma, where he absolutely terrorized the opposition.