DMN: Blog Roy williams staying or going?

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Roy Williams staying or going?

11:47 AM Fri, Jan 25, 2008 | Permalink
Todd Archer http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

Since the season ended, I've received a ton of e-mails about Roy Williams' future with the Cowboys.
Some of you have come up with wild trades, which I'll ignore. Why would a team trade want to trade for him? They see the same tape you do. They see his shortcomings and wouldn't want to take on his contract, so forget about a trade, especially to Miami for the No. 1 pick. Yes, somebody asked me that.
But what happens if the Cowboys release Williams? I'm not saying it's going to happen. I'm not saying the Cowboys have even discussed the possibility. I'm just putting out a huge "IF," as it relates to the salary cap.

According to NFLPA figures, Williams is scheduled to count $6.667 million against the cap in 2008. If the Cowboys chose to cut him, they would have to take on $7.387 million of proration from his $11.1 million signing bonus, so the move would cost them $720,000 against the cap.
Now, they could choose to designate Williams a June 1 cap casualty and spread the hit over two years. If they were to do that - and remember this is IF - then they would take a proration hit of $2.947 million this year, saving them $3.7 million against the cap in 2008. Here's the rub: the remaining $4.4 million of the proration would hit the cap in 2009

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
i say we swap roy williams w/ the lions

Kangaroo

Reaction score
He is going no where this year he will stay for at least one more year

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
WDN;1926411 said:
and it is still unrealistic.

You can say that again.

The Lions will bend over backwards to trade a young player with his whole career ahead of him for another player whose career is in a tailspin. Makes perfect sense.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WDN;1926411 said:
and it is still unrealistic.

Exactly.

Any fan that thinks Roy Willy is going to be traded or even released this offseason is a
dork.gif

They're not thinking clearly and don't have a clue about the cap.

Duane

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1926415 said:
No trade him to NE for Moss.....even though Moss will be a FA :D

No we're trading our two #1 picks this year for Moss. Please get your facts straight. ;)

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The "let's get rid of roy" arguments will make a lot more sense after June 1st next year. Those will be some interesting threads.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1926417 said:
Exactly.

Any fan that thinks Roy Willy is going to be traded or even released this offseason is a
dork.gif

They're not thinking clearly and don't have a clue about the cap.

But But they can do it in madden

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
I think RW will be wearing a Cowboys uniform next year but .... if he is benched for another player and becomes dissatisfied with his role can he initiate a contract renegotiation to enhance his chances of being moved to another team where he might start? Not that that's likely.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
All we can hope for is that he works hard and gets better.

Its looking like he is what he is though.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Obviously Roy will be here in 2008 and a good chance for 2009. After 09 we can get rid of him with minimum cost. He's gonna have to continue his poor play in 08 for Jerry to get rid of him after 08 and take the cap hit.

HardHittin'Witten

This ain't Madden
Reaction score
Duane;1926426 said:
No we're trading our two #1 picks this year for Moss. Please get your facts straight. ;)

:lmao2:

You know if we actually did that, nevermind that he is a FA, he would tear his ACL scoring a TD in the first game of the season.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sasquatch;1926433 said:
I think RW will be wearing a Cowboys uniform next year but .... if he is benched for another player and becomes dissatisfied with his role can he initiate a contract renegotiation to enhance his chances of being moved to another team where he might start? Not that that's likely.

You're right this scenario isn't very likely.

First off it's not Roy's annual salary that the fly in the ointment but his high cap figure due to his bonus being so relatively fresh.

Count on Roy wearing a Cowboy uniform. You don't even need to waste the synapse thinking about it.

And he sure as heck won't be demoted to 2nd string.

BlueStar II

Reaction score
From strictly a financial standpoint, Jones will not be releasing Roy Williams. Frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing Williams on another team, however - due to the dollars involved, he will end up being with us next year.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Now, they could choose to designate Williams a June 1 cap casualty and spread the hit over two years. If they were to do that - and remember this is IF - then they would take a proration hit of $2.947 million this year, saving them $3.7 million against the cap in 2008. Here's the rub: the remaining $4.4 million of the proration would hit the cap in 2009

IF, we did that.....would Roy be due money from us or what happens to the "real" money?

Duane

Reaction score
HardHittin'Witten;1926440 said:
:lmao2:

You know if we actually did that, nevermind that he is a FA, he would tear his ACL scoring a TD in the first game of the season.

Someone started a thread recently with the premise of trading our two first round picks for Randy Moss and they were serious. :eek: