DMN: Blog Roy williams staying or going?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Prediction: Roy will be the Cowboys starting Strong Safety in 2008 and will have a bounce back year.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CrazyCowboy;1926447 said:
IF, we did that.....would Roy be due money from us or what happens to the "real" money?

What do you mean "real money?"

He's already collected his bonus-- that was real money.

Obviously if he wasn't on this team he wouldn't be collecting his annual salary, but annual salary and the bonus are two different things entirely.

TEK2000

Reaction score
Hostile;1926456 said:
Prediction: Roy will be the Cowboys starting Strong Safety in 2008 and will have a bounce back year.

You have no idea how much I hope and pray that your prediction comes true.

MAYBE a new Secondary coach can help... a big maybe.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
It's one thing to say he's untradeable. It's quite another to say he should be starting merely because of the money we're paying him. Just because we're "stuck" with him doesn't mean he should see the field. Big paychecks didn't save Bled's job.

"But that's different! We had an alternative to Bled!"

Then find the alternative to Roy.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Roy could get a 4, 8 game suspension on his next horsecollar offense. I'm not sure we can count on #38 at all.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Alexander;1926414 said:
You can say that again.

The Lions will bend over backwards to trade a young player with his whole career ahead of him for another player whose career is in a tailspin. Makes perfect sense.

You're right of course but it does sound a little bit like a Lion move to me. ;)

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bbgun;1926882 said:
It's one thing to say he's untradeable. It's quite another to say he should be starting merely because of the money we're paying him. Just because we're "stuck" with him doesn't mean he should see the field. Big paychecks didn't save Bled's job.

"But that's different! We had an alternative to Bled!"

Then find the alternative to Roy.

Bledsoe didn't have the cap figure Roy carries.

Plus I don't think Roy Willy was worse than Bledsoe...

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1926949 said:
Bledsoe didn't have the cap figure Roy carries.

I'm talking strictly about performance. Roy's cap figure guarantees that he'll be back, but it shouldn't guarantee that he'll see the field. That would be self-defeating.

AlterEgo

Reaction score
Duane;1926448 said:
Someone started a thread recently with the premise of trading our two first round picks for Randy Moss and they were serious. :eek:

I think the NFL handbook refers to this type of trade as a "Gallowatrade"

juck

Reaction score
cut ur losses or have more losses the guy sucks.im selling my roy jersey.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1926417 said:
Exactly.

Any fan that thinks Roy Willy is going to be traded or even released this offseason is a
dork.gif

They're not thinking clearly and don't have a clue about the cap.
well as it clearly says. if dallas released roy june 1st, the team would actually gain 3.7 mil on the cap this yr.

so its not out of the question. i dont see why u people think if dallas releases him it would be the end of the cap for dallas.

diehard2294

America's Team
Reaction score
ask him to restructure his contract to save cap room,and add some incentives in it

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nors;1926907 said:
Roy could get a 4, 8 game suspension on his next horsecollar offense. I'm not sure we can count on #38 at all.
That is a darn good point no one has mentioned yet.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1926981 said:
That is a darn good point no one has mentioned yet.
yup, which is why its probably smart for dallas to realize that at some point you just have to cut your losses instead of every yr having to design a defense around roy's weaknesses.

if he hasnt improved by now he never will

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
juckie;1926977 said:
cut ur losses or have more losses the guy sucks.im selling my roy jersey.
What size, is it authentic, and how much?

Hussein

Reaction score
This a from a Detroit Lion fan forum. Can't say I'd def do it but would consider--keeping both number 1's would be a plus too.

Fri. 01/25/08 01:54 PM
Marcus Spears/Bobby Carpenter

Mike,

How do you feel about Marcus Spears (DE) and Bobby Carpenter (OLB) from the Cowboys? Apparently the team is shopping for a buyer...should the Lions be interested?

Granted, the Lions need a speed rusher and a MLB, but there's hope for these two. Spears is 300 pounds and fast...could play the UT and move Redding back to the NT, where he had so much success. He could just stay at the end. Carpenter would UNDOUBTEDLY be an upgrade at SLB, and could take a shot at MLB...supposedly he is not bad in coverage and has decent range.

Is this worth a shot?

Thanks.

VTLions, Burlington, VT

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
theebs;1926384 said:
Roy Williams staying or going?

11:47 AM Fri, Jan 25, 2008 | Permalink
Todd Archer http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

Since the season ended, I've received a ton of e-mails about Roy Williams' future with the Cowboys.
Some of you have come up with wild trades, which I'll ignore. Why would a team trade want to trade for him? They see the same tape you do. They see his shortcomings and wouldn't want to take on his contract, so forget about a trade, especially to Miami for the No. 1 pick. Yes, somebody asked me that.
But what happens if the Cowboys release Williams? I'm not saying it's going to happen. I'm not saying the Cowboys have even discussed the possibility. I'm just putting out a huge "IF," as it relates to the salary cap.

According to NFLPA figures, Williams is scheduled to count $6.667 million against the cap in 2008. If the Cowboys chose to cut him, they would have to take on $7.387 million of proration from his $11.1 million signing bonus, so the move would cost them $720,000 against the cap.
Now, they could choose to designate Williams a June 1 cap casualty and spread the hit over two years. If they were to do that - and remember this is IF - then they would take a proration hit of $2.947 million this year, saving them $3.7 million against the cap in 2008. Here's the rub: the remaining $4.4 million of the proration would hit the cap in 2009
sig says it all!

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;1927157 said:
What size, is it authentic, and how much?
i got a white xl replica(i'm not spending 200 bucks on a jersey) if you would want that?