DMN Blog: Scrimmage observations, notes & unofficial stats

mikek3322

Reaction score
proline said:
I think MB3 is on his way to becoming our version of Brian Westbrook. Showing some nice versatility ....

Versatility, yes - Westbrook, no. I keep thinking the next big hit will be Westbrook's last in the NFL, the guy is so small. MB3 is bigger & stronger, with the same good hands, vision, and moves.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
I think it's funny tht for the past week or so, it's fine to gush over Romo, however, if Henson appears to have a good game and you mention it, you are a Henson Jock Rider.

Don't try to understand the mind of a Romosexual

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HeavyHitta31 said:
Cue the Henson man lovers crowning him the next Elway...
Based on a scrimmage before the first preseason game? Nah we'll wait until later.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Henson seems like we've heard all along. Capable of plays that make you go "WOW", but at the same time screwing up high percentage stuff.

That speaks to a guy who just doesn't have enough snaps at this point but has wicked skills.

Yeah, we are going to cut a guy like that who we signed with the expressed intent of letting develop.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Based on a scrimmage before the first preseason game? Nah we'll wait until later.

yeah, but if he did poorly, the axes would be getting sharpened.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Cowboy from New York said:
I wish they said if he was at OLB or playing the interior as it appears he had for most of camp.

Grizz reported Carpenter was playing WILB.

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
Thanks Gimme, just found another mention over at Vela's:

Bobby Carpenter = football player. This kid looks like an old pro. The coaches blitzed him a lot from his inside position and he lived in the backfield, recording two sacks and later reading and stuffing a throwback screen to Julius Jones for no gain. He knows how to find the ball and get to it. He’s already calling all the signals for the second team defense. I would not be at all surprised to see him in the nickel package on opening day, given his intelligence and rush skills. Seeing Carpenter and Burnett play so well means Dallas has the depth and flexibility to get veeeery creative with its blitz packages. Last year, Dallas had two consistent linebackers. If Greg Ellis keeps up his play, they’ve got six now

I still find it odd that with Ware still being the only known outside pass rushing threat (with the Ellis experiment still ongoing) that we would move Carpenter inside where Adoyle and James should have things anchored and Boiman as the backup. Maybe Burnett should be working in on Ellis's side instead of just backing up Ware? Especially with the camp Burnett has had so far. Just a thought.
Man, is it great to have a team where we get frustrated that talented players can't get playing time because of the talent in front of them instead of getting pissed because you cant find a guy on the whole freakin roster to man a starting position like it was pre-BP.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
ddh33 said:
Drew Henson's numbers look very good. I'm sure that Drew was playing against more second and third stringers, but he was probably also playing with more of them.

I know that a lot of fans have already made their minds up regarding the QBs. I'm hopeful that both can and will have places in this league. Whichever one of them - if either - ends up playing for the Cowboys will certainly have my support.

:hammer: as Hostile would say, how can you root against this guy (Henson)? he comes to play and has all the physical gifts

goes for Romo too, why can't we hope both turn into something? I'll never know

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Draegerman said:
What? That doesn't sound like the Drew Henson we've all been hearing about lately. It seemed like everything being reported out of TC was all negative regarding Henson's performance and now we get this.

:confused:

I just hope that it's not a fluke and he will show a little more consistency as the TC continues.

I like the pieces where HEnson made a nice play to avoid the rush to get a pass out there, he brings that attribute that Bledsoe lacks, and ROmo isn't always capable of doing

stilltheguru

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
I like the pieces where HEnson made a nice play to avoid the rush to get a pass out there, he brings that attribute that Bledsoe lacks, and ROmo isn't always capable of doing

isnt romo a better scrambler than henson?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Cowboy from New York said:
Thanks Gimme, just found another mention over at Vela's:

Bobby Carpenter = football player. This kid looks like an old pro. The coaches blitzed him a lot from his inside position and he lived in the backfield, recording two sacks and later reading and stuffing a throwback screen to Julius Jones for no gain. He knows how to find the ball and get to it. He’s already calling all the signals for the second team defense. I would not be at all surprised to see him in the nickel package on opening day, given his intelligence and rush skills. Seeing Carpenter and Burnett play so well means Dallas has the depth and flexibility to get veeeery creative with its blitz packages. Last year, Dallas had two consistent linebackers. If Greg Ellis keeps up his play, they’ve got six now

I still find it odd that with Ware still being the only known outside pass rushing threat (with the Ellis experiment still ongoing) that we would move Carpenter inside where Adoyle and James should have things anchored and Boiman as the backup. Maybe Burnett should be working in on Ellis's side instead of just backing up Ware? Especially with the camp Burnett has had so far. Just a thought.
Man, is it great to have a team where we get frustrated that talented players can't get playing time because of the talent in front of them instead of getting pissed because you cant find a guy on the whole freakin roster to man a starting position like it was pre-BP.

being 6-deep in pass-rushers, that's crazy, I remember when we were half deep (Ellis) not too long ago, I really like this D, and I'll say it again, let Ellis work in his new role, and he might figure out that he can do it, and maybe even like doing it, looks like he's starting too

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
Bobby Carpenter is going to be a phenominal player. I almost feel sorry for the enemy having to face #54, Dware and our ends. If I can predict one thing for this season, it is PAIN for the enemy QB's.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO said:
Bobby Carpenter is going to be a phenominal player. I almost feel sorry for the enemy having to face #54, Dware and our ends. If I can predict one thing for this season, it is PAIN for the enemy QB's.

it's the 1st time in forever that we could actually say this, I'm psyched

Grizz

Blogging The Boys
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
being 6-deep in pass-rushers, that's crazy, I remember when we were half deep (Ellis) not too long ago, I really like this D, and I'll say it again, let Ellis work in his new role, and he might figure out that he can do it, and maybe even like doing it, looks like he's starting too
I asked Coach Pasqualoni about the linebackers before practice today, I mentioned that the LB corp looked pretty deep this year.

Coach's response? "I could use a few more, you can never have enough".

Classic.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Grizz said:
I asked Coach Pasqualoni about the linebackers before practice today, I mentioned that the LB corp looked pretty deep this year.

Classic.

are you sure that it was Paul you talked to? :D

sounds like a statement Parcells would make

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Grizz said:

Classic.

I'm sure he'll get more in next year's draft since Parcells collects 'em.

31smackdown

Reaction score
On the Henson numbers.. at least two of the longer passes were great plays by the receiver, namely Hurd. Also Henson threw a ball about 5 yards short and to the inside of the field on a 30 yard pass down the sideline, which was picked off... Parcells had a few words with him afterwards, clearly pointing out that he made the wrong throw.

The guy can flat out hum the ball, and he does seem to be slightly more high risk than the other qb's. I'm not sure that those two things are always good