DMN Blog: T.O.'s talk with D. Sanders didn't change the game plan... taunts JJT

khiladi

Reaction score
Chief;2440191 said:
Totally agree.

And while Owens is standing at the podium thumping his chest, Romo slips his cap on and politely talks about what a great player Owens is.

Romo covers a lot of shortcomings in Dallas. He makes the receivers better, he makes the offensive line better and he makes the coaches better.

I complained about his fumbling earlier this season, but after seeing this team without him, I'll never complain about that guy again. He's a great, great player.

You would have a case if TO didn't give credit to Tony Romo... TO gave plenty of credit to Romo, saying he makes plays when the OL gives him some time... I sure as hell don't see TO yelling at Romo on the sidelines, but you can damn well find him yelling at Gurode...

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2440173 said:
What's so funny to me about all the TO boasting is that his day yesterday was due almost 100% not to him, not to the system, not to anything else but TONY ROMO.

I hate to tell TO, but there are plenty of receivers who can get open when the QB can avoid the rush and extend the play several seconds. And Tony not only does that, he then throws a perfect strike 40 yards or more downfield. At least 20 WRs in the league can get open and make catches the same way when they have that long to beat coverage. Maybe more than that. That's just too long for even NFL cornerbacks to cover.

It's funny, that 75 yard TD yesterday looked almost exactly like the one in the Green Bay game to Miles Austin where Tony avoided the outside rush, stepped up, and heaved a perfect pass about 50 yards down the sideline. Yet for that one we rightfully gave the credit to Romo.

Like others have said, TO has been a tremendous weapon over the years, but it's hard to think of another great player who had to have so many conditions just right in order for him to succeed.
There are tons of receivers that can get behind "elite" cornerbacks consistently? That's news to me.

Yeah, Miles Austin appears to be one of them, but isn't that the only reason he stuck on the roster for so long -- his rare combination of size and speed? Key word, rare?

And, since when has Miles Austin not gotten credit?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
khiladi;2440184 said:
The offense sure shined last year when TO went out with the high-ankle sprain, yet Tony Romo was still playing...Funny how everybody keeps saying we need a legitimate number 2 receiver to make plays... Sorry, I don't see Roy WIlliams catching 200 yards a game, while teams focus all their attention on stopping TO, despite Tony Romo playing...BTW, Terrell Owens clearly gave Tony Romo credit, saying when the OL gives him time, he will make the play. WHy do you think TO was in the face of Gurode and the OL for their play...

Roy had a 200 yard game with Det. Roy has played with who at QB? While Owens has played with some pretty damn good QB's in his career such as Steve Young, Jeff Garcia,McNabb and now Romo so tell me who has Roy Williams had as his QB?

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
5Stars;2440158 said:
True, however, according to T.O. you don't win unless you give him the ball! Remember, "things happen" when he has the ball, right?

did he disappoint ? or did things not happen when he got the ball yesterday?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
khiladi;2440184 said:
The offense sure shined last year when TO went out with the high-ankle sprain, yet Tony Romo was still playing...
Are you claiming that TO is much better than Patrick Crayton and Miles Austin? No argument here.

Funny how everybody keeps saying we need a legitimate number 2 receiver to make plays... Sorry, I don't see Roy WIlliams catching 200 yards a game, while teams focus all their attention on stopping TO, despite Tony Romo playing..

LOL. Teams didn't focus all their attention on stopping TO yesterday. That's part of the point.

And if teams do focus too much attention on TO in the future, Roy will have some huge days... Unless we insist on forcing the ball to TO anyway, which might happen.

khiladi

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2440206 said:
Roy had a 200 yard game with Det. Roy has played with who at QB? While Owens has played with some pretty damn good QB's in his career such as Steve Young, Jeff Garcia,McNabb and now Romo so tell me who has Roy Williams had as his QB?

Once again, point sailed over your head... The post wasn't meant to knock Roy Williams, it was meant to knock the flawed logic..Roy Williams hasn't broken 100 hundred yard swith Tony Romo as QB, and he isn't seen coverage with safety man over the top... I guess he sucks then, right?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2440212 said:
Are you claiming that TO is much better than Patrick Crayton and Miles Austin? No argument here.

LOL. Teams didn't focus all their attention on stopping TO yesterday. That's part of the point.

And if teams do focus too much attention on TO in the future, Roy will have some huge days... Unless we insist on forcing the ball to TO anyway, which might happen.
Tony just needs to gain confidence in Roy. It won't take long, but obviously it does take time. While Roy may be fully or near fully integrated into the offense play-wise, he has to have a QB that's confident he'll make the right read and be where he needs to be. Not only that, he needs to be confident he'll catch the ball in a tight window. Tony has so many other weapons he's more comfortable with right now, I don't think he necessarily looks Roy's way as much as he should. It's kinda frustrating considering the guy is so talented.

khiladi

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2440212 said:

And they haven't focused their attention on trying to stop Roy Williams... Roy Williams hasn't broken 100 hards yet... Is Roy Williams a crappy receiver? I'm sure he's not...I'm sure Roy Williams is in the progressions of Tony Romo, even when the team has TO as their primary target...

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Doomsday101;2440187 said:
And Irvin seemed to feel the same way when he played. TO is going to talk so let him talk. When he is open I expect Romo to get him the ball and when TO is not then I expect Romo to look to other weapons to make plays. TO is an important part, if teams focus on him then it is up to Romo to make the teams pay for focusing on him. In my view Roy Williams also has the talent to put up big numbers and expect him to make the big plays when teams to focus on TO. Yesterday the 9ers did not focus on TO as others have and Romo and Owens made them pay.

True...but what about the games when T.O. does not get open and does not get thrown to? Then he sulks and complains that he does not get the ball? :rolleyes:

And, have you ever heard in any of his press conferences where he has said something about a few dropped balls that he might have had? I have never heard him apologize about any of that. Have you?

He's a great player, but he is embarassing to say the least when he comes out and speaks about HIS greatness.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
DaBoys4Life;2440210 said:
did he disappoint ? or did things not happen when he got the ball yesterday?

What about the past games? Was he all that, too? What about the last game? How many times was he targeted with the ball? How did that turn out?

Yeah, that's what I thought!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
khiladi;2440221 said:
Once again, point sailed over your head... The post wasn't meant to knock Roy Williams, it was meant to knock the flawed logic..Roy Williams hasn't broken 100 hundred yard swith Tony Romo as QB, and he isn't seen coverage with safety man over the top... I guess he sucks then, right?

It is not going over my head and when you say you doubt Roy Williams could put up a day like that then you are wrong because he has. Williams has played what 2 game with Romo who is still less than 100% it is not a shock that Williams has not had a big day as of yet with Romo but talent wise yes Roy Williams has the ability to put up very big days. Yesterday TO did not face the same coverage he has been seeing in the last few games, that was dumb on the part of the 9ers because you play man on man with TO you will lose that battle more times than not and even in zone coverage they ran quite a bit of they allowed TO to run untouched. I like TO and I like Roy and as I said I want Romo to hit the open man I don't care about TO or Roy individual numbers during any game. What I expect is for them to make the play when it comes to them

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
theogt;2440225 said:
Tony just needs to gain confidence in Roy. It won't take long, but obviously it does take time. While Roy may be fully or near fully integrated into the offense play-wise, he has to have a QB that's confident he'll make the right read and be where he needs to be. Not only that, he needs to be confident he'll catch the ball in a tight window. Tony has so many other weapons he's more comfortable with right now, I don't think he necessarily looks Roy's way as much as he should. It's kinda frustrating considering the guy is so talented.

I think a full training camp will take care of all that.

;)

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
theogt;2440225 said:
There's no doubt.

And on your other post, yes, I think there are lots of NFL receivers who can get open when the play breaks down somewhat and it turns into an organized playground game. I'm not saying everyone can, of course -- Patrick Crayton isn't fast enough to. But most of the good receivers you think of in the league can do it. It's just that they don't have a QB like Tony who can both avoid pressure to buy time and then have the arm and accuracy to get the ball down the field like he does.

I'd love to see what Roy could have done if he'd been featured the same way TO was. And/or if Tony always looked for him in those scramble situations the way he does TO.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
5Stars;2440233 said:
True...but what about the games when T.O. does not get open and does not get thrown to? Then he sulks and complains that he does not get the ball? :rolleyes:

And, have you ever heard in any of his press conferences where he has said something about a few dropped balls that he might have had? I have never heard him apologize about any of that. Have you?

He's a great player, but he is embarassing to say the least when he comes out and speaks about HIS greatness.

Yes he can, he can be a royal pain. I will say since he has been in Dallas it really has not been a big issue because those around him are not making an issue of it. Let TO have his say and as long as he is going out and working hard and doing what is being asked of him then I have no issue with him

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2440247 said:
There's no doubt.

And on your other post, yes, I think there are lots of NFL receivers who can get open when the play breaks down somewhat and it turns into an organized playground game. I'm not saying everyone can, of course -- Patrick Crayton isn't fast enough to. But most of the good receivers you think of in the league can do it. It's just that they don't have a QB like Tony who can both avoid pressure to buy time and then have the arm and accuracy to get the ball down the field.

I'd love to see what Roy could have done if he'd been featured the same way TO was. And/or if Tony always looked for him in those scramble situations the way he does TO.
But on most of TO's catches, the play hadn't broke down. Tony simply stepped up in the pocket, which is what you have to do to let the route develop if the pocket closes in behind you. Tony didn't do anything really magical. But yeah, I agree, it's about both of them being elite players.

khiladi

Reaction score
"It is not going over my head and when you say you doubt Roy Williams could put up a day like that then you are wrong because he has."Notice my sentence genius... I didn't say Roy Williams has never had a 200 yard game. I said Roy WIlliams has not had a 200 yard game WHEN TEAM'S ARE TRYING TO STOP TO. Hell, he hasn't broken 100 yards this year even with Detroit, but Calvin Johnson surely has....So genius, the point did go over your head... I know Roy WIlliams has had great years with Detroit... I know he's a legitimate receiver... And he should have better numbers right now then he is getting... But I attribute the lack of production to Jason Garrett...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
khiladi;2440253 said:
"It is not going over my head and when you say you doubt Roy Williams could put up a day like that then you are wrong because he has."Notice my sentence genius... I didn't say Roy Williams has never had a 200 yard game. I said WHEN TEAM'S ARE TRYING TO STOP TORoy WIlliams has not had a 200 yard game . Hell, he hasn't broken 100 yards this year even with Detroit, but Calvin Johnson surely has....So genius, the point did go over your head... I know Roy WIlliams has had great years with Detroit... I know he's a legitimate receiver... And he should have better numbers right now then he is getting... But I attribute the lack of production to Jason Garrett...

He has been with Romo 2 games? he has not had a mini camp or training camp with Romo as TO has. Yes Romo is going to feel more confident in TO just from the fact he has been working with TO for 2 years now. And yes Philly was trying to stop him when he put up the 200 on them because Johnson was not on the team and Williams was the only top WR on the team.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;2440247 said:
There's no doubt.

And on your other post, yes, I think there are lots of NFL receivers who can get open when the play breaks down somewhat and it turns into an organized playground game. I'm not saying everyone can, of course -- Patrick Crayton isn't fast enough to. But most of the good receivers you think of in the league can do it. It's just that they don't have a QB like Tony who can both avoid pressure to buy time and then have the arm and accuracy to get the ball down the field like he does.

TO deserves more credit than you are giving him. He was so determined on that TD catch and run that he got into the endzone on sheer will and strength with two guys trying to stop him. He might get on your nerves, but what he and Romo accomplished yesterday was about 50/50. We're fortunate to have both of them.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2440173 said:
What's so funny to me about all the TO boasting is that his day yesterday was due almost 100% not to him, not to the system, not to anything else but TONY ROMO.
Amen.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can't we all agree that Jean Jacques Taylor did not have to write the article AND Terrell Owens did not have to do Deion Sanders' interview?

"No?"

Oh well. Back to the thread.