DMN Blog: Tashard Choice vows to take advantage of opportunity

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2:15 PM Fri, Dec 05, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Tashard Choice knew his role when he arrived at Valley Ranch after being drafted in the fourth round. Marion Barber was the starting running back. First-rounder Felix Jones was the change of pace. Choice's job was to play special teams and be ready to fill in at running back just in case.

Just in case is here, as Choice has to prepare as if he'll start Sunday in Pittsburgh with Barber a gametime decision and Jones on injured reserve.

"You never want to see anybody get hurt," said Choice, who has rushed for 147 yards on 30 carries. "That's not how you want to get a starting position or get a chance to play a lot. But if it comes, that's how you make your place in the league, that's how you stay around. You've got to take advantage of those. That's what I've got to do."

The Cowboys have reduced Choice's responsibilities on special teams this week to allow him to focus on studying the offensive game plan. He said he would go to Barber's house tonight to study with the regular starter.

If Choice ends up in the starting lineup, don't count on the confident rookie to be intimidated. He actually made his first college start in somewhat similar circumstances, rushing for 84 yards in Georgia Tech's upset win over third-ranked Miami, which had the nation's No. 1 defense entering the game.

Comments (0) Leave comment | E-mail entry

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2462789 said:
If Choice ends up in the starting lineup, don't count on the confident rookie to be intimidated. He actually made his first college start in somewhat similar circumstances, rushing for 84 yards in Georgia Tech's upset win over third-ranked Miami, which had the nation's No. 1 defense entering the game.

Nice! :cool:

jzcowboy

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2462789 said:
He actually made his first college start in somewhat similar circumstances, rushing for 84 yards in Georgia Tech's upset win over third-ranked Miami, which had the nation's No. 1 defense entering the game.
Anybody have video that they can upload for this?

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I think he will do well as long as the offensive line do their part.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
dmq;2462818 said:
I think he will do well as long as the offensive line do their part.

On the nosey.

That is the key to any running game.

CoCo

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2462789 said:
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Tashard Choice knew his role when he arrived at Valley Ranch after being drafted in the fourth round. Marion Barber was the starting running back. First-rounder Felix Jones was the change of pace. Choice's job was to play special teams and be ready to fill in at running back just in case.

Just in case is here, as Choice has to prepare as if he'll start Sunday in Pittsburgh with Barber a gametime decision and Jones on injured reserve.

"You never want to see anybody get hurt," said Choice, who has rushed for 147 yards on 30 carries. "That's not how you want to get a starting position or get a chance to play a lot. But if it comes, that's how you make your place in the league, that's how you stay around. You've got to take advantage of those. That's what I've got to do."

The Cowboys have reduced Choice's responsibilities on special teams this week to allow him to focus on studying the offensive game plan. He said he would go to Barber's house tonight to study with the regular starter.

I don't follow college football. I only become familiar with most college players as draft time approaches. So my depth of knowledge on this mid round selection is admittedly pretty shallow. And we certainly haven't seen him get much face time since he's been a Cowboy either. He's been very much in the background.

I liked Julius Jones when he was here but kind of rolled my eyes a bit when he predicted he'd get 1700-1800 yards in his sophmore year here after his sometimes spectacular injury shortened rookie year.

I know its standard fare for young players to talk big about what they'll do when they get their chance.

But there is something about Choice's comment above and how he's carried himself thus far that makes me take notice when he makes the bolded statement above.

Its a balanced perspective that seems to respect the enormity of the challenge. He's not cocky. I'm not sure I'd even call him confident. He comes off as respectful, mature, focused and unafraid. I really like that.

STSINAZ

Reaction score
i like this guy, he is a FUTURE starting RB in this league...probably with us in a few years when marion breaks down

WarC

Reaction score
HoleInTheRoof;2462817 said:

So we're doing this by explicit denial?

Well, okay. I don't either.

This is going to be a long thread...

:D

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really like Tashard Choice. He's going to be a pretty good player for a long time in this league.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I like the kid. I don't question his ability. I bet he's never been hit as hard as often as Pitt will. He's never played a defense like that. But still I think he'll do ok. What worries me is his reads and blitz pickups.

bysbox1

Reaction score
I liked this comment . . .

WoodysGirl;2462789 said:

You know he will be ready to play. I think he will have a better game than a lot of people think.

juck

Reaction score
I think he will play more then Barbs,but Barber will come in like last year.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think he will do fine running the ball. I think he is a great blocker as well.

Im just worried about him see'ing blitzes that he has never seen before and doesn't know how to pick it up.

If he knows what to do he should be fine but I would be shocked if he rushes for more than 50 yards.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Coakleys Dad;2462941 said:
I love his attitude..

Fair enough, but let's not get carried away. Talk is talk, proof is in the pudding. Remember the smack Julius Jones was shooting off before the Thanksgiving game?

Tashard has to get it done on the field. I think he will to an extent, but he'll be doing it in the fourth quarter because our passing game has loosened them up.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's been some time, and it does not indicate how good or bad he will play, but man it does show you the kid has heart.

[youtube]jAOkxgvboPk[/youtube]

In the game he was talking about vs Clemson...check out the move at the end, remind you of a current cowboy rb?

[youtube]JDEyshcU9YQ[/youtube]

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;2462952 said:
Nice stiff arm.

Not quite as vicious as Barber, but pretty nice. Of course that is Clemson and Pittsburgh is a whole other thing.