DMN Blog: Tashard Choice vows to take advantage of opportunity

yimyammer

Reaction score
Man, this game is pivotal, we can either fall off the cliff by letting the Steelers beat us up or we can step up and start to be a team that is the puncher instead of the punchee.

What I'd love to read in the papers after Sundays game:

In a shocking turn of events, the Dallas Cowboys continued to display their offensive firepower against the leagues #1 defense but what was really impressive to see was a mean streak that emerged on offense and defense. The Cowboys took it the Steelers on both sides of the ball despite missing their smash mouth running back, Marion Barber. Young rookie Tashard Choice stepped in for Barber and didn't miss a beat as he become the first running back to rush for over a 100 yards against the Steelers, 21 carries for 112 yards.

Teams accross the league are starting to shudder at the thought of the Cowboys not only playing to their pre-season hype, they have now revealed a mean streak and a rookie running back that is going to make this team awfully hard to beat.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
I hope Tashard's performance matches his attitude. We drafted some great guys at the running back position last year. Players like Choice and Felix make me proud to be a Cowboy fan. I wish them both much success.

Coakleys Dad

The Re-Birth has begun.
Reaction score
cowboys2233;2462947 said:
Fair enough, but let's not get carried away. Talk is talk, proof is in the pudding. Remember the smack Julius Jones was shooting off before the Thanksgiving game?

Tashard has to get it done on the field. I think he will to an extent, but he'll be doing it in the fourth quarter because our passing game has loosened them up.
Im not getting carried away, its just nice to see him have the desire & hunger. Of course hes not barber, but hes not a scrub either.

Reaction score
23 Choice, Tashard

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Running Back
Height: 5-10
Weight: 215
College: Georgia Tech
Years: R

COLLEGE: Tashard Choice was the second running back drafted by the Dallas Cowboys in the 2008 NFL Draft when he was selected in the fourth round (122nd overall). Choice will team with veteran Pro Bowler Marion Barber and Dallas's 2008 first round selection Felix Jones to bolster the Cowboys running game. Choice adds another game-breaking talent to the Dallas backfield after leading the ACC in rushing through his final two collegiate seasons, becoming the first player to accomplish that feat since Thomas Jones (Virginia, 1998-99). In that same span, he became the first Georgia Tech back to have consecutive 1,000-yard seasons, rushing for 1,473 yards as a junior and 1,379 as a senior. He finished his collegiate career as the school's record holder with 18 100-yard games, was third with 28 rushing touchdowns and fourth with 3,465 rushing yards. He started his collegiate campaign at Oklahoma and redshirted his first year (2003). He was Adrian Peterson's backup in 2004 before transferring to Georgia Tech for the 2005 year. Choice started 27 of the 38 games he played at Tech. He not only will be called upon out of the backfield, but will have to demonstrate to Dallas coaches an ability to play on special teams units.

TRANSACTION SUMMARY:
4/27/08: Drafted in the fourth round (122nd overall) by Dallas.

2007:
- All-America honorable mention by The NFL Draft Report and Sports Illustrated and a Doak Walker Award candidate.
- Earned first-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference honors from the league's coaches and media, leading the team and conference - ranked 18th in the nation - with 1,379 yards and 10 touchdowns on 261 carries.
- Became the first player to lead the conference in rushing in consecutive seasons since Virginia's Jones (1998 and 1999).
- Added 14 receptions for 107 yards and completed one pass for a 17-yard touchdown against North Carolina.
- Missed a game and a half after suffering a right knee sprain that required surgery, but returned to start the final four games of the season.
- Had a string of 341 consecutive carries (from 2006-07) without a fumble snapped when he lost the ball against Maryland.
- Rushed for 100 yards-or-more in seven contests and had three two-touchdown games.
- Opened his final campaign against Notre Dame with a then game-best 196 rushing yards, only to top it against Miami with 204.

2006:
- Was an academic All-ACC first-team selection and added All-ACC second-team honors after leading the conference and ranking 13th in the nation with 1,473 rushing yards - the second-best single-season total in school history.
- Had 12 touchdowns and averaged 5.0 yards-per-rush on a school record 297 attempts.
- Set a school record with nine 100-yard performances on the season, including a string of seven consecutive games with at least 100 rushing yards to close out the season.
- Started all 14 games in his first season as Tech's starting tailback.
- Tacked on 12 receptions for 98 yards to total 1,571 all-purpose yards.
- Finished the season with a then career-high 169 rushing yards on 27 carries against West Virginia in the Toyota Gator Bowl to be named to the All-Bowl team by ESPN.com.
- Also added four catches for 32 yards in the bowl game to record a career-best 201 all-purpose yards.

2005:
- After transferring from the University of Oklahoma, was eligible to play after the NCAA granted a waiver of the residency requirement.
- Was Georgia Tech's second-leading rusher in his first season, finishing with 513 yards while tying for the team lead with six touchdowns as a reserve running back.
- Added 14 catches for 76 yards.
- Rushed for a season-best 107 yards and two touchdowns in a win over Duke.
- Logged his first start in the Yellow Jackets win over third-ranked Miami and finished with 84 yards on a season-high 29 carries.

2004:
- Spent redshirt freshman season as a backup behind Adrian Peterson at Oklahoma.
- Had 22 carries for 100 yards and was an Academic All-Big XII selection.
- Rushed for a season-best 71 yards on 16 carries against Texas Tech. PERSONAL
- Was a first-team all-state pick and ranked as the 22nd-best running back in the nation by Rivals.com as a senior at Lovejoy High School in Hampton, Geo.
- Finished his prep career with 129 carries for 1,200 yards and 17 touchdowns.
- Had his high school jersey retired.
- Graduated from Tech in December 2007 with a degree in history, technology and society and was a two-time member of the Atlantic Coast Conference Academic Honor Roll.
- Cousin, Joe Burns, was a standout running back at Georgia Tech (1998-2001) and later played for the Buffalo Bills.

Hey, this is why we drafted Choice, he reminded the Cowboys organization of Barber. I think he will fill in just fine.

sbark

Reaction score
I sure hope Jerry has enough cap room to extend his contract after what he shows vrs. Pitts..........:cool:

I love the way he disappears behind the Oline....the way he slips thru creases with a straight ahead style.......

Lead draw shoud be bread & butter......

isawoj

Reaction score
As a Tech fan, I have watched every game he played at Tech.

A lot of people are sick of the video of his speech, but most people only watch the video without the captions.

TC missed the UVA game with a pulled hammy the week before and they lost.

Tech had no passing game that year and relied heavily on the running game.

TC came out and rushed for +/- 140 yds and the games only score on a bum hammy.

Several of his runs, he had to pull up and run out of bounds or risk completely tearing his hammy.

Taking off my gold-colored Tech glasses, I am giddy over the fact that he will get a lot of PT, but dreading his first big game experience being against the Pitt D.

All I ask for is 4 yards per carry and maybe 20 for 80, 1 TD and a good pass blocking game.

Just have enough success in the running game to keep the Pitt D honest and let Romo and company do their thing throuhg the air.

Remember, a sloppy, wet field benefits an offensive passing game and if you can get Pitt to put 8 in the box a decent amount of the game, Romo should have some open targets.

BTW - my opinion is that if Choice was a Giant, he would be the 1A running back. He is that complete a back.

Not a hall of famer and not a top 10 back, but one you would consider top half of the league if he was a starter.

If a team has a good passing attack, that is just the kind of guy that can make you a playoff team.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
There is something about Choice....he just has 'it.'

Is it Moxie?

I hope this rookie gets a chance this Sunday and impresses.

He has a big challenge ahead of him.

igtmfo

Reaction score
Loved the way he popped that run outside to the left last week when there was no hole.

There's some Emmitt in him, as has been said. A burst, and decisive. He sees the field good and makes quick decisions on the first and second level (hm ... I sound like I know what I'm talking about, sorry ...) ...

Felix Jones. Not as bad as drafting Ginn or R. Bush in the top ten, but worried about a situational guy like Felix. As teams have caught up to Garrett, they'll soon catch up to Felix's strengths and what Garrett is trying to do with him ... let's not get cute with a part-time guy .... can we at least, if we're drafting a RB in the first round, get a guy that can theoretically carry 10 times a game between the tackles ... ?

Well, Jenkins hasn't set the house on fire either. Just more of my complaints about our part-time personnel director and GM Jerry, who makes these picks ultimately, who is thinking more about:

1. The stadium construction ...
2. How he's going to pay for the stadium.
3. Rounding up NCAA tourney etc. for the stadium
4. Coaching the team
5. Halftime show on Thanksgiving (his daughter runs it, but Jerry, as always, micromanages) ...
6. Owners meetings, marketing the NFL, rules, etc.

Jerry crams for the draft six weeks ahead of time, if that ... can we please get a GM who crams for the draft 52 weeks of the year?

Sorry to get off topic ... been drinking a few Miller 32 oz. tonite ... the poor man's high ..

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
igtmfo;2463590 said:
Loved the way he popped that run outside to the left last week when there was no hole.

There's some Emmitt in him, as has been said. A burst, and decisive. He sees the field good and makes quick decisions on the first and second level (hm ... I sound like I know what I'm talking about, sorry ...) ...

Felix Jones. Not as bad as drafting Ginn or R. Bush in the top ten, but worried about a situational guy like Felix. As teams have caught up to Garrett, they'll soon catch up to Felix's strengths and what Garrett is trying to do with him ... let's not get cute with a part-time guy .... can we at least, if we're drafting a RB in the first round, get a guy that can theoretically carry 10 times a game between the tackles ... ?

Well, Jenkins hasn't set the house on fire either. Just more of my complaints about our part-time personnel director and GM Jerry, who makes these picks ultimately, who is thinking more about:

1. The stadium construction ...
2. How he's going to pay for the stadium.
3. Rounding up NCAA tourney etc. for the stadium
4. Coaching the team
5. Halftime show on Thanksgiving (his daughter runs it, but Jerry, as always, micromanages) ...
6. Owners meetings, marketing the NFL, rules, etc.

Jerry crams for the draft six weeks ahead of time, if that ... can we please get a GM who crams for the draft 52 weeks of the year?

Sorry to get off topic ... been drinking a few Miller 32 oz. tonite ... the poor man's high ..

So you're saying Jenkins and Felix were bad picks?

isawoj

Reaction score
BigDinAZ;2463612 said:
Anyone think Choice can break 100yds this game??
Honestly, with no bias? I doubt it.

Can you imagine getting your first start knowing you go against the #1 rushing D in the league?

I'd say 80 in a win is a great debut.

DWaremvp08

Reaction score
BigDinAZ;2463612 said:

Let's play Jepordy:

LT, Portis, Jacobs, Lewis, Addai, Westbrook.

Who are backs that havent come close to 100 yards against Pitt?

I hope Choice doesnt get Romo killed. This game will be won with a quick passing attack taking advantage of gaps in zones, and an outstanding defensive effort. Not a rookie running back.

ndanger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WoodysGirl View Post
2:15 PM Fri, Dec 05, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
The Cowboys have reduced Choice's responsibilities on special teams this week to allow him to focus on studying the offensive game plan. He said he would go to Barber's house tonight to study with the regular starter.

Comments (0) Leave comment | E-mail entry

That says as much about Barbers character as it does Tashard's. This kid has become one of my favorite players. That says a lot for a rookie who's 3rd on the depth chart in reality.

igtmfo

Reaction score
Felix ... is kind of a boutique RB. He's only run a couple of plays between the tackles.

My thought is just that ... teams will quickly see the Garrett-designed plays to put him in space ..

His three good games as RB were against the dregs: Cle, Green Bay, and Cincinnati. Nothing as RB against NFC East. 10 yards vs. Philly. (Big KR return though .... ) Didn't get in the game vs. Commanders.

We traded up three spots from No. 28 to take Seattle's pick at No. 25 and select Jenkins. Gave up fifth- and seventh-round picks. It was OK to give up 5th and 7th picks to move up three spots in the Jimmy era. Not to dis Jenkins, but today, every pick matters ... vis a vis the Giants, who had all seven draft picks contributing in the Super Bowl last year, as I remember ...

The reason I'm pissed is that Jerry is running the team ... personnel, draft, you name it. And Jerry's legacy for personnel dates from the 1992 Lacewell period onward. Except for recent three years, when Parcells/Ireland ran it ...

Now Ciskowski runs it, who you know that Jerry overlords because there's no more Parcells to bug him.

Tuna's drafts were pretty good, as was Ireland's one draft ... but not great like NYG or New England. Our one star this draft so far has been Scandrick. Where are the O-line, D-line, LB stars (except for Ware?) after so many drafts with Tuna, ultimately Jerry, in charge? ... Ratliff, OK, but too many busts ...

All I'm saying, is I want a 52-week, 24-7, guy who worries, bites his nails, thinks about nothing but personnel and the draft. We see what can happen when the Falcons hire Pioli's assistant at New England. I wonder if the Giants' personnel guy (who's only been running it for a year or two?) is available?

BLEU3ASY

Reaction score
BigDinAZ;2463612 said:

in pittsburgh no, but pittsburgh in Dallas, yes. i just the the feild condition is going to play a part. i said it when we drafted him that you guys would like this kid.