DMN Blog: Terence Newman: 'I'm coming out straight ballin'!'

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Temo;2418409 said:
Secondly, I meant it more like "he's older and more prone to injury. Also possibly slower".

That could also go for Moss, too though. I know he's had a rash of injuries since that time too.

Temo

Reaction score
AsthmaField;2418416 said:
That could also go for Moss, too though. I know he's had a rash of injuries since that time too.

Probably. But you can't tell me that after all the zone defense we've been playing, that just because Terrence Newman comes back-- his FIRST game back, mind you-- we'll be tossing him man-on-man on an island against Moss.

That seems unlikely.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Hostile;2418304 said:
Yeah, I've heard that song before. It still doesn't tell me much. I've heard of ballin' in hoops which I was told just means forgetting all the flair and going hard. I don't know how that fits CB in the NFL. If he's simply saying he is going to play hard, fine.

Pfft, stop being so difficult. You're a smart guy, I refuse to believe you don't know what he means. :rolleyes:

If this is some kind of silent protest against slang, you sir, are diagonal ballin'!

zeromaster

Reaction score
Smith22;2418349 said:
From that article:

One way to deal with Moss — the conservative solution — is to assign two defensive backs to cover him at all times. But that leaves one fewer defender to cover other receivers, tackle running backs or rush the quarterback. Parcells decides he would rather risk having cornerback Terence Newman cover Moss man to man. When the Cowboys are in man-to-man coverage, Newman will go where Moss goes. Parcells points out Commanders right tackle Jon Jansen. “This is Jansen getting pushed back,” he says. “He doesn’t look like the player he was a couple of years ago.” The right side of the Commanders’ line seems to have trouble with twists. If Newman can cover Moss long enough, Jansen won’t be able to hold off Greg Ellis or Marcus Spears, the Cowboys’ pass rushers he has to block.
The only physical evidence of his past is three small elephant figurines. Parcells’s mother passed on to her son an odd superstition: elephants with their trunks pointed toward a doorway bring good luck. In his condo, Parcells keeps a collection of elephant statues. Here he has just three little ones, pointed the wrong direction.
I liked the elephant part; it explains so much...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Temo;2418409 said:
First of all... no, not the groin and/or hernia. Those can definitely linger.

Secondly, I meant it more like "he's older and more prone to injury. Also possibly slower".

In any case, it won't matter. Newman won't be on an island with Moss, that much I can guarantee you. He's still a good CB, but neither the defensive philosophy nor the situation calls for that sort of coverage.

Yes the groin and or hernia can linger if not given enough time to heal once it is then no it is not a constant problem. Newman is year older but he is not an old player and yes I think he is still capable of covering 1 on 1 just as he did last season and had a very good season doing it.

As for defensive philosophy? going into the season Dallas talked a lot about more press coverage however when the season started we did so with 1 player who had not played in over a year in Pacman, Henry and rookies and people can't figure out why we have not been in press coverage? I do think the rookies are coming along and with the return of Newman I would not be surprised at all to see Dallas running a lot man on man press coverage.

Temo

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2418439 said:
Yes the groin and or hernia can linger if not given enough time to heal once it is then no it is not a constant problem. Newman is year older but he is not an old player and yes I think he is still capable of covering 1 on 1 just as he did last season and had a very good season doing it.

As for defensive philosophy? going into the season Dallas talked a lot about more press coverage however when the season started we did so with 1 player who had not played in over a year in Pacman, Henry and rookies and people can't figure out why we have not been in press coverage? I do think the rookies are coming along and with the return of Newman I would not be surprised at all to see Dallas running a lot man on man press coverage.

I will dig this thread up next tuesday andd we will see who is right. Weather we play more press man or zone.

kmp77

Reaction score
As long as he doesn't get burnt' to a crisp like he did last game I'll be happy.

Kilyin

Reaction score
reddyuta;2418213 said:
thats a good attitude but please dont leave newman alone on moss.

Didn't you hear? Newman was 'playing injured'. If Newman is half as good as this board thinks he is (even if he's only 90%), he should be able to shut down Santana Moss. Or James Trash.

I'm expecting big things from Newman, don't let me down sir.

Frozen700

Reaction score
Hell yea....i know know he will shut it down...and our D may actually play better

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Campbell has been due for a poor game, he's made some good decisions and taken care of the football all season - but I think Sunday on prime time he'll fold.

Cowboys2008

Reaction score
I hope this isn't a double-meaning statement- as in, leaving the option open to be "crying" after the game, too. Lol.

Personally I don't like him talking crap. I remember that last Commander game. And due to it, as far as I'm concerned, our best CB isn't back this week. He has a chance of coming back next week. The Real TNew better get back cause as far as I'm concerned he's in the process of losing his job to Pac Man. As of now, the only TNew that's good is the one in Madden 09.

And if this "injury" is his excuse, lets hope it is 100% healed otherwise he shouldn't be on the field, period.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Here's the section in C-Lab's article that made me sit up. Talk about deja vu, even under Parcells, these players were soft_what he called "game quitters".

What has him troubled — what has him waking up choking on his bile — isn’t what you might expect. It’s not concern that the Commanders’ coaching staff could spring something on the Cowboys for which they are entirely unprepared. And it’s not his team’s raw ability. It’s a thing that’s harder to put into words, and impervious to strategy. Even as he is trying to study his next opponent, he can’t shake what happened on Sunday. How his team, the moment the Jaguars pushed back, collapsed. How, the moment the players felt the pressure, they began to commit penalties and the sort of small but critical mental errors that only a coach watching video can perceive. In their performance he smells the sort of failure he defines himself against.

Parcells loves boxing; his idea of a perfect day in the off-season is to spend it inside some ratty boxing gym in North Jersey. “It’s a laboratory,” he says. “You get a real feel for human behavior under the strongest duress — under the threat of physical harm.” In this laboratory he has identified a phenomenon he calls the game quitter. Game quitters, he says, seem “as if they are trying to win, but really they’ve given up. They’ve just chosen a way out that’s not apparent to the naked eye. They are more concerned with public opinion than the end result.”

ndanger

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2418439 said:

Yep mine healed enough 3 different times. I'm now "Kevlar Man". That strikes fear and I've got cool scars. :D

Temo

Reaction score
Temo;2418524 said:
I will dig this thread up next Tuesday and we will see who is right. Whether we play more press man or zone.

Hey, I told you I'd dig this up :)

And yea, I was somewhat wrong... we played a mix. But definitely Newman was assigned to Moss and shut him down whenever he was on him.