DMN Blog: Terence Newman was terrible, but at least he admits it

Frozen700

Reaction score
VoR;2293803 said:
"Terence Newman was terrible, but at least he admits it".

So...that makes it all OK then?

yea you are right.....

he should jump off a bridge

get real what do you want him to say or do? hes human...but fact is we are not a great team.......

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2293856 said:
I haven't rewatched the game, but I don't remember Newman missing a tackle other than when he couldn't sack Campbell. On which plays did he miss a tackle?

The only thing Newman gave up on the second TD drive was the 2-yard TD pass. Give any quarterback that much time in the pocket on third-and-goal from the 2, and it should be a touchdown. He obviously isn't happy about it, but it's not like it was bad coverage on the play.

None of the other plays on that drive came against Newman -- three runs for 12 yards by Portis, a 9-yard pass to Cooley and a 28-yard pass to Moss (not being covered by Newman -- or anyone else, for that matter).

Oh ok. I guess he didnt get caught drifting when randle el went in motion and turned around and newman got caught and wasnt able to get back and the ball was thrown right to randle el. I dont know if you could see it on tv or not, but newman didnt get back and it was on him.

A few plays later on the goal line the skins do it again and newman goes in motion with the wr and calls for help and no one went outside with el, they snapped it and threw it right to him for an easy score.

Newman runs off the field screaming at brian stewart, throws things on the sideline and slams his helmet. The next series he gets caugt on a stop n go looking in the backfield for a huge play to moss.

He was really bad today. I love the guy, but mentally he wasnt together today and it carried over to the rest of the defense.

I will go back and watch that drive again and see if you can see this stuff on tv. I am most likely mixing in a mistake on a seperate drive too. Doesnt matter he wasnt good.

Eskimo

Reaction score
cowboy braddas;2293990 said:
start pac man now hes the best corner we got

I agree about starting Pac, but it is Henry I would put on the bench.

He just doesn't have enough speed to play CB anymore. He is getting turned badly out there. In a scheme where you play off of the man and can't be physical at the LOS, Henry is close to useless.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
theebs;2293746 said:
the man admitted he didnt play well.

He tackled extremely poorly and he wasnt mentally sharp. He basically gave up the entire drive on the second touchdown. He was going with randle el in motion on one play and got caught drifting and randle el turned around and campbell went right to randle el for a big play.

Newman was off tonight. And when your best corner doesnt have his act together it rubs off on everyone else.

It's almost like he hasn't played much football for two months or something.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
cowboy braddas;2293990 said:
start pac man now hes the best corner we got

See. This is what is wrong with fans.

Newman is a good player, he just had a bad game. And if you believe wade phillips he said in the pc, when we are in a 3 deep we need all 3 guys to stay deep and a couple of times today they didnt.

Neman will be fine.

I fully expect him to use todays game to sharpen himself and have good games against the next two outstanding passing attacks we have to play.

That is the great thing about newman. He isnt a cry baby prima donna. If he plays bad he will tell you and then he will go put in the neccessary work to improve.

I would expect some outstanding games down the road from him.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2293997 said:
It's almost like he hasn't played much football for two months or something.

Absolutely right. He has a whole season to improve and the great thing is we play in washington. So if we win there it makes today bittersweet for them.

and again, I love newman. I think he is an above average player and even more he is accountable to his teammates. He is not a cry baby who needs to be pampered when he plays poorly.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2293856 said:
I haven't rewatched the game, but I don't remember Newman missing a tackle other than when he couldn't sack Campbell. On which plays did he miss a tackle?

The only thing Newman gave up on the second TD drive was the 2-yard TD pass. Give any quarterback that much time in the pocket on third-and-goal from the 2, and it should be a touchdown. He obviously isn't happy about it, but it's not like it was bad coverage on the play.

None of the other plays on that drive came against Newman -- three runs for 12 yards by Portis, a 9-yard pass to Cooley and a 28-yard pass to Moss (not being covered by Newman -- or anyone else, for that matter).

Reason doesn't work on these guys.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Newman didn't give up a TD in 2005.

He gave up 2 in 2006.

He gave up 0 in 2007.

He had a rough quarter. He slipped on the first TD and Moss got him on the double move.

I can't remember one play in the last three years where Newman was beat on the sideline deep. It is unheard of.

That is the first time Moss has got him in 3 years. Newman shadowed him in 2006 in Dallas and shut him down. Moss had some garbage yards at the end of the game when Dallas went into prevent and called off the dogs.

Shame on anyone who piles on Newman today.

If anyone does, you all have short memories.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Glad to hear he admits he had a bad game. Of course it's not like he could have denied it anyway.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
There is plenty of blame to go around for this game.

Why did Felix Jones not touch the football on offense in this game?

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
theebs;2293958 said:
Oh ok. I guess he didnt get caught drifting when randle el went in motion and turned around and newman got caught and wasnt able to get back and the ball was thrown right to randle el. I dont know if you could see it on tv or not, but newman didnt get back and it was on him.

A few plays later on the goal line the skins do it again and newman goes in motion with the wr and calls for help and no one went outside with el, they snapped it and threw it right to him for an easy score.

Newman runs off the field screaming at brian stewart, throws things on the sideline and slams his helmet. The next series he gets caugt on a stop n go looking in the backfield for a huge play to moss.

He was really bad today. I love the guy, but mentally he wasnt together today and it carried over to the rest of the defense.

I will go back and watch that drive again and see if you can see this stuff on tv. I am most likely mixing in a mistake on a seperate drive too. Doesnt matter he wasnt good.

Randle El didn't catch a pass on the second touchdown drive. I told you all of the plays on that drive.

Newman allowed a 2-yard catch on a 51-yard drive, and suddenly he "basically gave up the entire drive on the second touchdown"? Come on.

Newman got beat on a few short passes (none thrown more than 3 yards downfield) and the one long one. That's it. If he had been beaten downfield several times, or consistently on medium-length passes, I could understand the vitriol, but that wasn't the case at all. It was one long pass and a few short ones.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2294140 said:
Randle El didn't catch a pass on the second touchdown drive. I told you all of the plays on that drive.

Newman allowed a 2-yard catch on a 51-yard drive, and suddenly he "basically gave up the entire drive on the second touchdown"? Come on.

Newman got beat on a few short passes (none thrown more than 3 yards downfield) and the one long one. That's it. If he had been beaten downfield several times, or consistently on medium-length passes, I could understand the vitriol, but that wasn't the case at all. It was one long pass and a few short ones.

well now I will go check and see if you can see the pass where newman got lazy and didnt go with randle el when he stopped his motion and turned around. I am assuming you are putting that on someone else. But it was on newman.

I find it amazing how you bag on romo repeatedly but will defend to know end the play of newman today and williams all the time....its astonishing to me.

newlander

Reaction score
Newman is hurt too much and he's had some very forgettable games the last two years IMO. The Detroit game comes to mind, and others. He's a very good CB in my opinion....but not as good as many people on this board think he is.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Wow, the lengths folks will go to protect their guy.

Terence Newman had a bad night, that doesn't take away from the fact that he is a really good player.

He gave up 2 Touchdowns and totally whiffed on sack of Jason Campbell.

The big pass completion to Santana Moss when Jason Campbell was under duress and found him wide open may have been on Terence Newman too, but the Cowboys were in a zone, so I don't know who messed up on that play.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
theebs;2294151 said:
well now I will go check and see if you can see the pass where newman got lazy and didnt go with randle el when he stopped his motion and turned around. I am assuming you are putting that on someone else. But it was on newman.

What does that play have to do with anything? It wasn't on that drive. You claimed Newman gave up "basically the entire drive." That play wasn't on that drive. How many times does it need to be said?

But by all means, go back and check to make sure that play wasn't on that drive, because it wasn't.

I find it amazing how you bag on romo repeatedly but will defend to know end the play of newman today and williams all the time....its astonishing to me.

It's astonishing that someone would put blame where it deserves to be put and not where it shouldn't be?

I never said Romo played poorly overall today. But he did play poorly at times (mid-third to mid-fourth quarters), and he deserves his share of the blame. To say he doesn't deserve any of the blame is to ignore what happened in the game.

Newman deserves his share of the blame, too. But he's getting more than he deserves, thanks to people like you who blame him for "giving up basically the entire drive on the second touchdown," when that's simply not true. Others have blamed him for getting abused all day by Santana Moss, which isn't true, either. The ONLY thing I have done is blame him for the things he actually deserves to be blamed for. And that's all I've ever done with Roy, too.

Players should be blamed when they are to blame, not when someone mistakenly wants to blame them when they weren't at fault. And players should be blamed when they are to blame, not excused for their mistakes because they played well at other times.

That's how it should be. Period.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Like I said, I confused the drives. the first td drive randle el catches a ball and runs right by newman. 3 plays later 12:00 minute mark of the 2nd qtr, randle el goes in motion and newman goes with him only newman gets caught when randle el turns around and goes back to his original spot, the ball his hiked and then thrown to randle el.

newman shakes his head and points to himself.

the guy had a bad game. He even said it. I wouldnt expect it from him again.