DMN Blog: Tony Romo to play Sunday?

Nav22

Reaction score
Here's the thing.

If I was promised that we'd win 2 of our next 3 games WITHOUT Romo, I'd want him to sit out the month. In such a scenario, the possibility of winning all 3 WITH Romo isn't enough to justify the risk.

But there is no guarantee that we'll win 2 of our next 3. An 0-3 run with Brad wouldn't shock me. At that point, Tony could take over 100% healthy for the stretch run, but he might be taking over a 4-5 team. A 4-5 team that will likely need to win 6 of their last 7 to make the postseason.

So BECAUSE the potential to lose our next 3 games without Romo does exist to me, I'm cool with Romo trying to play hurt IF he can throw okay with it and deal with the pain.

WG5516

Reaction score
I say test him out all week... Let him start... sit him after the 1st or 2nd possesion.

superpunk

Reaction score
Tony's like a kid on Christmas - he can't wait to play with his new toys.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
1fisher;2342022 said:
The eternal optomist speaks!

:bow: :laugh2:

Hey, Farve called him.......that is all Moxie needed.

You watch, unless our staff makes ROMO set.....he will play

The kid is tough as Jessica's behind......:laugh2:

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
It says he would using a cast/glove. If they can allow him to throw with a cast on his hand, then I'm for it. As long as whatever they put on him will protect it in a sack situation.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2342042 said:

I thought that was firm as ...... :laugh2:

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I don't know I have had a simliar injury and though I never took anything to kill the pain I can't imagine it being easy to throw the football much less in an NFL game.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Here's what is missing from the discussion. It would go a long way in the locker room if he can play with it.

There are stories floating out there about some squabbling inside the locker room and although we don't know if there is any truth to that, the fact is Romo's demeanor and body language have been bad the past few weeks.
Something's been wrong with him and it's not just some bad play calling and blocking.

He might need to show everyone in that locker room that he can play with pain and be the leader, if (and that's the big if), he can grip the ball and throw it half decently.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Someone needs to make the wise decision here.

We need Romo long term.

If he plays and accidentaly hits someones helmet after he throws, or gets it sandwiched between helmets, or someone steps on it, and he ends up missing 6-7 weeks it would look pretty stupid.

But for those saying we can beat St. Louis without him, ... did you watch the skins game last week?

BruceWayne

Tennione72
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;2342075 said:
Here's what is missing from the discussion. It would go a long way in the locker room if he can play with it.

There are stories floating out there about some squabbling inside the locker room and although we don't know if there is any truth to that, the fact is Romo's demeanor and body language have been bad the past few weeks.
Something's been wrong with him and it's not just some bad play calling and blocking.

He might need to show everyone in that locker room that he can play with pain and be the leader, if (and that's the big if), he can grip the ball and throw it half decently.

:hammer:

Undisputed

Reaction score
If the O-line ever needed more motivation, this would be it. They'd be protecting their quarterback in the true sense of the term.

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
This would be like Flo playing left tackle with no left arm last week. Dumb.

Let the bone heal, let Brad Johnson get meaningful reps. Let the team rally around this controversy and challenge and not have saviour/miracle man Romo bail the team out. The team needs to step up without Romo.

I think Romo could also use a break from the pressure and start having fun again. In fact, holding a clipboard and doing mental reps from the sidelines might give Romo the insight to soak in what he has accomplished and learned the last 32 (2 seasons) as a starter. Also, might give Romo the positive fire to sit on sideline and go "wow I miss being in there" yes, like Favre.

We play the Rams. We need to win. But if Romo is going to miss one, and there is one game the team can afford to have him out and prove something for themselves, and MAYBE we get a complete 60 minute effort from every part (O, D, Special TEams), this game should be it to start the rally and the circling of the wagons.

Let Romo heal at least this weekend!

LarryCanadian

Eskimo

Reaction score
Med staff needs to step up here and say no - too much risk if that fracture becomes displaced, angulated or rotated after a hit - he could end up needing surgery and end up missing a lot of time. There is too little to gain by bringing him back this early.

superpunk

Reaction score
LarryCanadian;2342147 said:
We play the Rams. We need to win. But if Romo is going to miss one, and there is one game the team can afford to have him out and prove something for themselves, and MAYBE we get a complete 60 minute effort from every part (O, D, Special TEams), this game should be it to start the rally and the circling of the wagons.

Let Romo heal at least this weekend!

LarryCanadian
Good point.

If he wants to come back in two weeks against the Bucs, then let him if he can function.

But against the Rams, someone needs to step in and keep him from playing. Give the body two weeks before you let people hit that hand again - at least. I think that would be the wise course.

But if Tony is determined, and he can function in practice, I think he's earned the right to say "I'm playing."

1fisher

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2342042 said:

and just how do you know this????

That mask has taken you places, huh? :D

:cool:

TX_Yid

Reaction score
Having had the same bone break in my hand I can tell you it isn't a particularly painful injury (Or at least it wasn't in my case).

It's more of a dull ache when it's left alone, although if he gets a hit on that hand it would definitely be painful and I'd think he'd be more likely to lose the ball from that. I do think he could throw with some pain killers though.

newlander

Reaction score
jdnelson and others are right: SIT OUT THIS WEEK TR. If we can't beat the Rams with Johnson, well....we just suck. ( I don't care about the loafing foreskins losing to them)