DMN Blog: Tony Romo to play Sunday?

Woods

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;2342075 said:
Here's what is missing from the discussion. It would go a long way in the locker room if he can play with it.

There are stories floating out there about some squabbling inside the locker room and although we don't know if there is any truth to that, the fact is Romo's demeanor and body language have been bad the past few weeks.
Something's been wrong with him and it's not just some bad play calling and blocking.

He might need to show everyone in that locker room that he can play with pain and be the leader, if (and that's the big if), he can grip the ball and throw it half decently.

I'm leaning your direction on this.

The questions are whether (1) Can he still throw the ball with accuracy and velocity, and (2) Would it cause further damage?

This team does need toughness, and Romo is the leader of the team.

If Romo can't throw the ball with accuracy and/or it will cause further damage to play, then let him sit.

Let's see what happens.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
I don't see it happening, he will need is pickie to help guide his passes.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
jcblanco22;2341875 said:
This is interesting, is he too anxious about playing with RW to sit out or what? Wonder if Favre's phone call has anything to do with this?

Tony Romo to play Sunday?
8:53 AM Wed, Oct 15, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Barry Horn E-mail News tips

In his weekly stop with The Ticket's Dunham & Miller, Wade Phillips said Romo would throw in practice today and his status could be re-evaluated. At least that is what I think Phillips said while dodging most of the questions, supplying non-answers. He's really good at that.

As he should be. He need to take some lessons from Parcells. I hate the media. They don't bring anything worthy to us the fans except BS assumptions and speculation. If that is all you can write, then I don't want to read you or hear you.

I hope Tony doesn't rush coming back.

America's Team

Florida Cowboy
Reaction score
I say if he is thinking about coming back he should at least wait this week. were playing the RAMS. I could be the quarterback and still win.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
There's no reason to play Romo this week. If they can't beat the Rams without him then they aren't going to go far this year anyways.

The Rams are coming off a huge (and their only) win so far while we all know what we are coming off of. If this team has any character and our coaches have any ability, then we should win this week.

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The thing is, I've been noticing something missing from Romo's throws for the past few games. His spiral haven't been as tight...a little wobbly. And I haven't seen quite as much zip. Even before this broken pinky happened, I've been wondering if something was wrong. Granted, he's been playing really well (besides fumbles) since he led the league in TD passes and had a good completion percentage.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Waiting a week will not be enough. It will take at least 2 weeks to get good callus formation although I suspect he has an electricaly stimulator on most of the time.

It would be a very poor decision to allow him to play football or in any way traumatize that hand.

Eskimo is right. This is not a manhood thing. Any athlete at that level could take an injection, feel no pain and have that hand function properly with the injection. It's a matter of translating a non-displaced fracture into a displaced fracture which would likely be a season ending injury IMO.

Playing him IMO would be dumb as dirt unless they do have a way to immobilize and protect that area while still allowing him to throw without seeing poor or bad passes. I don't know what they have in that realm. Not my field and I don't keep up anymore. So huge huge maybe.

Eskimo

Reaction score
jobberone;2342518 said:
Waiting a week will not be enough. It will take at least 2 weeks to get good callus formation although I suspect he has an electricaly stimulator on most of the time.

It would be a very poor decision to allow him to play football or in any way traumatize that hand.

Eskimo is right. This is not a manhood thing. Any athlete at that level could take an injection, feel no pain and have that hand function properly with the injection. It's a matter of translating a non-displaced fracture into a displaced fracture which would likely be a season ending injury IMO.

Playing him IMO would be dumb as dirt unless they do have a way to immobilize and protect that area while still allowing him to throw without seeing poor or bad passes. I don't know what they have in that realm. Not my field and I don't keep up anymore. So huge huge maybe.

The only ways to immobilize the fracture zone to that extent are ex-fix device that probably would interfere with his throwing mechanics.

It really is not worth the risk. Jobber's advice of at least giving him a couple of games off (3 weeks of healing time) are about right to at least let some strength come back to the fracture site.

MONT17

Reaction score
I think Romo has been hurt for a cpl weeks and he is trying to play through it. His quote if u don't throw picks u r not any good may mean if u r good u play hurt and when u play hurt u throw pics. Perfect example was the pic he threw to the Bengals LB!

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
This may be a good thing...

2 good things could come out of this:
  1. If he does play he should work on handing off the ball(get the running game going) and work from the shotgun.
  2. get him to STOP staying in the dam pocket so long.
"Hey Garrett... dont "Brady" that Quarterback"

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Bach;2342466 said:
There's no reason to play Romo this week. If they can't beat the Rams without him then they aren't going to go far this year anyways.

The Rams are coming off a huge (and their only) win so far while we all know what we are coming off of. If this team has any character and our coaches have any ability, then we should win this week.
My sentiments as well.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
juckie;2341900 said:
He cant make it worse its a fracture,unless someone steps on his Hand.He should use a glove anyway he drops the ball to much,Ben uses one now and loves it and gets sacked constantly but rarely looses the ball.

You're right. It's all about whether he can handle the pain, and if he is able to grip the ball.

All this jargon about "permanently damaging the finger, and having it linger" I dont think matters in this situtation.

Its about whether he can physically grip the ball well enough, and how much he can handle the pain. Those two things are what is keeping him out.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
if he really wants to comeback early then at least take this week off against the Rams! i say this for a couple reasons. First of all obviously he's not gonna heal in a week and probably wont improve if at all but at the very least he can use the extra time to practice throwing with his injured pinky so he can used to it a little bit. And second continuing from my previous point is that IMO he would be too erratic throwing the ball this week if he plays, i think for this game against the Rams, Brad Johnson gives us the better chance to win.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Da Hammer;2342837 said:
if he really wants to comeback early then at least take this week off against the Rams! i say this for a couple reasons. First of all obviously he's not gonna heal in a week and probably wont improve if at all but at the very least he can use the extra time to practice throwing with his injured pinky so he can used to it a little bit. And second continuing from my previous point is that IMO he would be too erratic throwing the ball this week if he plays, i think for this game against the Rams, Brad Johnson gives us the better chance to win.

Agreed. I want to see Romo against the Giants though.

slick325

Reaction score
I for one am glad to hear that he is attempting to see if he can "tough it out". I don't believe they need him for this week or even the Tampa Bay game (no disrespect to the Bucs, they are a solid squad) but I want to see if he can go by the Giants game. If he plays poorly then pull him and put in Brad who would have had two weeks worth of work.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Eskimo;2342654 said:
The only ways to immobilize the fracture zone to that extent are ex-fix device that probably would interfere with his throwing mechanics.

It really is not worth the risk. Jobber's advice of at least giving him a couple of games off (3 weeks of healing time) are about right to at least let some strength come back to the fracture site.

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't trust external fixation to do the job anyway Eskimo. I see no way to protect it, stabilize the area and allow him to throw. And I think 3 weeks is pushing it but with stakes like this and highly trained professionals the options are at times different than standards of care, as you know.

cowboys#1

Finish!
Reaction score
if romo plays he will shoot all the naysayers down. he will spark the team.

shoot him up and lets see what he can do.