DMN Blog: Tony Romo's not too concerned about turnovers

zeromaster

Reaction score
We'll see if the nonchalant attitude works when the games get tighter. As far as learning from his mistakes, he still seems to be locking onto certain receivers too much. The Philly game is done with so lets not use that (game 3) as an good example of a tight game.

Does anyone doubt that on third and more than five his target is almost always Witten? Somewhere along the line a smart linebacker or DB may make him pay dearly for that preference.

jmo

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Paniolo22;2311369 said:
Funny, I loved that about Watters, especially because he was a 49er and eagle. :D
Yeah but we had selfish agendas ourselves then.

;)

sweetness0986

Reaction score
As Romo said himself, his displeasure and anger is usually internal. I like that he has a positive attitude and I trust in his work ethic that he's going to strive for a turnover free game.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2311264 said:
Tony Romo's not too concerned about turnovers
8:40 PM Sun, Oct 05, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Romo's response: So what?

"I am pretty sure we won the ballgame," he said when asked whether he was concerned with his turnovers. "If you never turn the ball over as a quarterback, you are probably not going to be that good. Everyone strives for no turnovers, but there's no ways you are going to make plays sometimes if you don't trust it and just let it go."

huh??? Didn't the QB who won the Super Bowl last year do it without throwing a pic???

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Hostile;2311325 said:
I love his nonchalant responses to hysteria over turnovers. The perfect temperament for a QB to have. The last thing you want is them to be stuck in the past. He moves one. That is great for this team.

He impresses me more all the time.

He probably could have been more resourceful with that answer which sounds more like 'get real and go bother someone else. We won'.

I guess I don't blame him. The media are constantly hounding them and constantly asking tricky questions without end.

But you're right. He has a great golfer's mentality. Always in the present and future.

What I like best is his focus on winning. He gets his share of double bogey's but he gets more birdies and eagles. He's going to be a great one if he stays surrounded with talent.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
jobberone;2311410 said:
He probably could have been more resourceful with that answer which sounds more like 'get real and go bother someone else. We won'.

I guess I don't blame him. The media are constantly hounding them and constantly asking tricky questions without end.

But you're right. He has a great golfer's mentality. Always in the present and future.

What I like best is his focus on winning. He gets his share of double bogey's but he gets more birdies and eagles. He's going to be a great one if he stays surrounded with talent.
Exactly. Remember when everyone used to complain about his golfing? I always took the opposite view for that reason.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
During the game you absolutely want your QB to have this attitude, otherwise he ends up throwing more ints. It's like that with all athletes, Jordan wasn't thinking about all the game winners he'd missed when he took them.

However, after the game and in preperation for the next one, you definitely want your QB thinking on how to take care of the ball better when he's out there. You can bet your bottom during practice Jordan took the shots he'd missed over and over to prepare better for next time.

Hailmary

Reaction score
Hostile;2311364 said:
One of the players I have had the most disdain for in my life was Rickey Watters.

I literally can't stand him.

If he ever fumbled it took 5 to 6 guys to calm him down and keep him in the game. Many times he would compound a fumble by running stupid or fumbling again.

Tony gets it out of his mind immediately and focuses on the next possession.

Perfect.

I see your point, I really do. I think a short termed memory is a good thing, especially for a QB.

.....But, I just hate the "so what" attitude. I think he could have worded his foibles differently. How he worded it made it sound like it's not a concern. I'm sure he's working hard to minimize his mistakes, but..............ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PBJTime

Semper Fidelis
Reaction score
zeromaster;2311380 said:
We'll see if the nonchalant attitude works when the games get tighter. As far as learning from his mistakes, he still seems to be locking onto certain receivers too much. The Philly game is done with so lets not use that (game 3) as an good example of a tight game.

Does anyone doubt that on third and more than five his target is almost always Witten? Somewhere along the line a smart linebacker or DB may make him pay dearly for that preference.

jmo

You'd think...but we've been doing this for some time now.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Hailmary;2311422 said:
I see your point, I really do. I think a short termed memory is a good thing, especially for a QB.

.....But, I just hate the "so what" attitude. I think he could have worded his foibles differently. How he worded it made it sound like it's not a concern. I'm sure he's working hard to minimize his mistakes, but..............ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He didn't say "So what?", he said you have to trust yourself and your team mates and let it fly sometimes.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Hailmary;2311422 said:

I love the "so what" attitude.

Look, it's fine for the fans to lose their minds when we lose. It's even fine for them to lose their minds when we win. If we have football players who do this we will never win anything because this is the NFL. Other teams are going to have success against us.

I think his attitude is the best thing that could happen to this team.

Hailmary

Reaction score
TheCount;2311432 said:
He didn't say "So what?", he said you have to trust yourself and your team mates and let it fly sometimes.

I know he didn't say "so what", I was referring to his attitude.

"I am pretty sure we won the ballgame"

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WFAA Blog

Romo: Ugly win better than a blowout
6:46 PM Sun, Oct 05, 2008 | Permalink
Aaron Chimbel

Some of Tony Romo's post-game comments:

"I understand it's not the prettiest thing sometimes, but we did score 31 points and win the ball game," he said.

"We did a good job of not succumbing to the momentum."

"They did a good job, but we hurt ourselves."

"Everybody on this team understand we have a lot of good players."

"I'm pretty sure we won the ballgame."

"If you never turn the ball over, you not going to be that good."

"You'd love to never have a turnover, but that's unrealistic."

"I'm sorry that I'm not sorry that we won."

"At the end of the year it's going to be a W."

"You don't get crowned champions to be the best looking team right now."

"You just keep getting better and stack up wins."

"The best teams go out there and find a way to keep winning."

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
more from WFAA

Phillips: Romo is a fighter
6:37 PM Sun, Oct 05, 2008 | Permalink
Aaron Chimbel

Wade Phillips says they need to work on Tony Romo's penchant for turnovers.

The quarterback has seven in five games, but the coach likes how his quarterback responds.

"He continues to bounce back," Phillips said.

cowboyrock

Benched
Reaction score
Romo just does not get it. we all know we won. but we also know if we want to beat good teams like the Commanders and Giants. we cant turn it over.he has got to play better than he is. and he has got to change that everything is fine attitude. he sounds just like Wade Phillips.

Hailmary

Reaction score
Hostile;2311502 said:
Oh this one is pure genius.

I have to admit that that was a good line.

Hos, on a side note, how are you feeling about the bet? Still think that it's a lock that we won't have 2 1,000yd rushers after Felix's performance today?

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
"If you never turn the ball over as a quarterback, you are probably not going to be that good.

wow. that is really an ignorant statement. it's as if he doesn't realize he FUMBLES waaaaay too much, nevermind the INTs.

zeromaster;2311380 said:

tight games... so far the lackadaisical attitude hasn't worked in the playoffs.

now you know why he hasn't learned from his mistakes. cupcake doesn't make him accountable and now he spews "i'm pretty sure we won the game".

ugh.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Hailmary;2311546 said:
I have to admit that that was a good line.

Hos, on a side note, how are you feeling about the bet? Still think that it's a lock that we won't have 2 1,000yd rushers after Felix's performance today?
Let me put it this way. At the time the bet was made they needed to average 62.5 yards per game.

Barber is at 395. That means from here he only needs to average 55 yards per game to reach 1000. I expected him to get it, no big deal.

Jones is at 244. It is now up to 68.7 yards per game for him to get there.

I think that is unlikely. One more game where he is less that 40 yards would almost doom him and with 11 games left that is possible.