DMN Blog: Tony Romo's not too concerned about turnovers

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The man also threw 3 TD passes once again, I'll take 3 TD passes vs 1 ints. Most around the league would gladly take it.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2311264 said:
Tony Romo's not too concerned about turnovers
8:40 PM Sun, Oct 05, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Tony Romo is not a bus driver, to use a Bill Parcells term. He's more of a NASCAR kind of guy who would rather live with the occasional fiery mistakes than take his foot off the gas.

Romo had two such screw-ups today, throwing a pick to extend his INT streak to eight games and losing a fumble after scrambling for a first down. Those turnovers led to a couple field goals, and the damage would have been much worse if the Cowboys' defense didn't come through after the Bengals got great field position.

Romo's response: So what?

"I am pretty sure we won the ballgame," he said when asked whether he was concerned with his turnovers. "If you never turn the ball over as a quarterback, you are probably not going to be that good. Everyone strives for no turnovers, but there's no ways you are going to make plays sometimes if you don't trust it and just let it go."

It's tough to be too harsh in regards to Romo as long as his TD-to-turnover ratio stays in the 2-to-1 range. But one of his turnovers played a key role in the loss to the Commanders, and you wonder whether his problems protecting the ball will cost the Cowboys in a bigger game.

Comments (5) Leave comment | E-mail entry

Fearless. A QB that is really to take risk and make mistakes. It what makes him who he is and I love it.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2312263 said:
The man also threw 3 TD passes once again, I'll take 3 TD passes vs 1 ints. Most around the league would gladly take it.

Agreed thats what I've been saying. if he stays at 2-1 or 3-1 ratio no one will care by the end of the season. He has 11 TD after 5 games.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2312269 said:
Agreed thats what I've been saying. if he stays at 2-1 or 3-1 ratio no one will care by the end of the season. He has 11 TD after 5 games.

I'm sure Romo would like that have that 1 pass back last Sunday but it is what it is in the meantime he still went out and hit some big plays for us to win. Not one of his better all around days but when you can say that after the QB has thrown 3 tds on an off day, I don't know how much anyone can take this complaining seriously. I keep see what if this was the playoffs that could cost you, I’ll gladly take 3 TD passes and 1 int in a playoff game

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
Paniolo22;2311290 said:
I don't really like that answer. He needs to own up and say "I need to take better care of the ball. The defense can't keep picking up for me when these mistakes happen."

I agree, but he may have just gave that answer out of frustration with the media and fans because we aren't happy with a just a win.

I also remember him saying something along the line of they weren't going to apologize to the media and fans for this win no matter how ugly it was.

Use Your Illusion

Reaction score
Trendnet;2312208 said:
You're right..

Romo sucks...

we should cut him now and put Brad Johnson in... tank the rest of the season and draft a quarterback high in the draft

Yeah, because that's EXACTLY what I said..:bang2:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Use Your Illusion;2312143 said:
I don't get how anyone can like this attitude. You can't win a championship playing the way Romo is right now. He's made AT LEAST one big mistake in every game this year and the last few games from last season.

This team is so talented that they can overcome them against bad teams, but in the postseason that just isn't going to happen. Put Romo on a mediocre team with his carelessness and the results wouldn't be pretty.
I do like this attitude. In fact I think it is the kind that makes a difference in winning and losing.

Joe Montana had this kind of attitude. Favre does. A lot of QBs do.

I have never seen a QB who falls apart after an INT who was a winner. Can you give me one example? What about a QB who falls apart after a bad game?

Romo isn't ducking responsibility for bad plays, he is looking at the big picture. I wish some fans could too. Seems like the prefer a Drew Bledsoe type who took 5 sacks per game and was all apologetic after the games we lost. One guy yesterday even said he'd prefer Q back there over Romo. That is beyond stupid. Maybe this is what they want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMe0Rz1frdE

Not me. Give me the guy who wins games. That's Tony Romo.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Hostile;2313708 said:
I do like this attitude. In fact I think it is the kind that makes a difference in winning and losing.

Joe Montana had this kind of attitude. Favre does. A lot of QBs do.

I have never seen a QB who falls apart after an INT who was a winner. Can you give me one example? What about a QB who falls apart after a bad game?

Romo isn't ducking responsibility for bad plays, he is looking at the big picture. I wish some fans could too. Seems like the prefer a Drew Bledsoe type who took 5 sacks per game and was all apologetic after the games we lost. One guy yesterday even said he'd prefer Q back there over Romo. That is beyond stupid. Maybe this is what they want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMe0Rz1frdE

Not me. Give me the guy who wins games. That's Tony Romo.

I'm all teary eyed.:)

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
Paniolo22;2311290 said:
I don't really like that answer. He needs to own up and say "I need to take better care of the ball. The defense can't keep picking up for me when these mistakes happen."
Yea agreed! i mean im sure what he said he doesnt truly mean but he just gives off the wrong impression and opens himself up for needless criticism from some fans and media. it does nothing to help but possibly hurt with comments like that because it makes the team have to answer stupid questions about Romo...

Eddie

Reaction score
We're going to have to live with Romo's gun-slinging.

He's reaching a point in his career where his growth is plateauing. He's not going to get much better.

Then again, he's pretty darned good.

But we have to take the bad with the good. Such is life.

Gibbs II

Reaction score
In some ways its a very sexy idea, the whole brett favre gun slinger mentality, and you want some aspects of that, you want your QB to just go out there and forget that pick or fumble and move on, but he should know he shouldn't have said that in that fashion.
Also, the idea that he sorta copped out with a "well we won" isn't an attractive attitude. I mean, it was the bengals.

Im not a cowboys fan (obviously), but i think its pretty evident that he doesn't truly mean what his impression gave off. It comes off as though he is almost indifferent about turning the ball over, but everyone knows that's not the case.

You dont want him to care during the game, but you want him to after the game.

I thought this was kinda funny, even though I do know what he means.
"If you never turn the ball over as a quarterback, you are probably not going to be that good. "

See Jason Campbell.:eek:: hopefully i didnt put my foot too far in my mouth

Mansta54

Reaction score
Eddie;2313886 said:
We're going to have to live with Romo's gun-slinging.

He's reaching a point in his career where his growth is plateauing. He's not going to get much better.

Then again, he's pretty darned good.

But we have to take the bad with the good. Such is life.

Wow!!!! This is so UNTRUE... He has room to get waaaaay better. Not sure where this is coming from.. He's in his 2nd full season. You've gotta be kidding, right!!!!

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
I agree w/the title of the thread......Tony seems to me as if he is playing and throwing tentatively or with to much caution...he looks as if he's afraid of throwing an INT.

Perfect example ...the pass thrown to Witten ..... it lacked that zip we are all accustomed to seeing from Tony....thus it was off target and was picked off.

Tony needs to regain some confidence and let it fly.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Hostile;2311325 said:
I love his nonchalant responses to hysteria over turnovers. The perfect temperament for a QB to have. The last thing you want is them to be stuck in the past. He moves one. That is great for this team.

He impresses me more all the time.

I see your point but, Yakuza is right. Romo needs to take better care of the ball.

On that last scramble he did for the 1st down, he repeated the exact same thing that got it knocked out of his hand earlier in the game. He had the ball out there again to be knocked out of his hand.

Im sure he will work on it though. Im not a Boomer fan, but even he pointed it out on that last scramble.

Protect the ball Tony.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Dallas;2314162 said:
I see your point but, Yakuza is right. Romo needs to take better care of the ball.

On that last scramble he did for the 1st down, he repeated the exact same thing that got it knocked out of his hand earlier in the game. He had the ball out there again to be knocked out of his hand.

Im sure he will work on it though. Im not a Boomer fan, but even he pointed it out on that last scramble.

Protect the ball Tony.
The point is about his attitude.

I can't argue he needs to protect the ball better because he does. Last year one of the most thrilling plays was the snap over his head and scramble for a 1st down.

He is a gambler and I love that about him. He gets over it quickly when he makes a mistake and keeps on fighting. Like the Buffalo game.

I love that about the guy. I wouldn't squelch that for anything.

utrunner07

Reaction score
Would any hall of fame QB say what he did? Would Aikman, Young, Montana, even Favre? No. This team, and Romo as the on the field leader, has this attitude that they are much better than they really are and how dare someone point out their mistakes. This attitude is going to doom this team...Im not sure we make the playoffs at this point.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;2311304 said:
I think Romo will probably get overly criticized for the INT, but that was a great play by Rivers. The fumble really bothers me because he should know by now that players on defense will try to strip the ball from behind like they did and it was absolutely crucial to hold onto the ball because you don't want to give the Bengals any momentum before the half. Maybe he needs lessons from John Garrett on holding the ball high and tight.

YAKUZA

Wouldn't it have been hilarious if Bennet had gone up to Romo on the sidelines after the fumble and showed him the high and tight posture? I would have LMAO.
:lmao2: