DMN Blog: Wait at least a year to judge the Roy Williams trade

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
12:41 PM Fri, Dec 19, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

Coachable WR Roy Williams has been a highly paid, highly publicized role player since Jerry Jones pulled the trigger on a trade with the Lions to acquire the talented Texas-ex. But it's way too early to call the deal a bust for the Cowboys.

Jerry expected Williams to make an immediate impact, but the deal was made with the long term in mind. That's why the Cowboys signed Williams to a five-year, $45 million extension before he played a snap with a star on his helmet.

Injuries have hindered Williams' progress since he's arrived at Valley Ranch. First, it was Tony Romo's fractured pinkie that prevented Williams from working with the franchise QB. In recent weeks, a foot injury has caused Williams to miss a lot of practice time and affected his performance on game days.

Williams, who has only 14 catches for 182 yards and a TD in eight games as a Cowboy, is frustrated with his role. But he has also acknowledged that he'll need a training camp to get comfortable with the Cowboys.

Williams, a remarkable athlete with great size and hands but questionable practice habits, didn't approach his potential in Detroit, where he had only one 1,000-yard season. But the Cowboys believe he can be an outstanding complement to T.O. for the next two or three years and eventually take over as the team's No. 1 receiver.

Consider any production from Williams the rest of this season a bonus. Crank up the expectations for No. 11 next season, when he's healthy and had a whole off-season to build a rapport with Romo.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I agree with this, but most want immediate success.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Clove;2506091 said:
I agree with this, but most want immediate success.

I agree. I think a fair assesment will be when Romo and Williams have a chance to have the mini camps and training camps.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
While I'm not judging the trade as pass or fail, I am a little suprised at how bad we are at throwing to WRS, Owens and Williams combine for like 6catches a game since Romo has come back from injury. There is a problem there, imo.

I know Witten catches a lot of balls too though.

I don't know, we're winning and thats all that matters for now, I'd just like to see Romo attempt more passes to TO and Roy.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Thats hogwash.

Why should we wait a year to judge it, when he was made for immediate dividends. He could have had Roy in the offseason, and kept his draft picks.

I'm glad we have him, dont get me wrong, but make no mistake about it...the trade was made so we would be better able to win the Super Bowl THIS SEASON.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
EveryoneElse;2506108 said:
While I'm not judging the trade as pass or fail, I am a little suprised at how bad we are at throwing to WRS, Owens and Williams combine for like 6catches a game since Romo has come back from injury. There is a problem there, imo.

I know Witten catches a lot of balls too though.

I don't know, we're winning and thats all that matters for now, I'd just like to see Romo attempt more passes to TO and Roy.

Love the sig, and I agree completely. The league better watch out.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2506115 said:
Thats hogwash.

Why should we wait a year to judge it, when he was made for immediate dividends. He could have had Roy in the offseason, and kept his draft picks.

I'm glad we have him, dont get me wrong, but make no mistake about it...the trade was made so we would be better able to win the Super Bowl THIS SEASON.

Yes it was for this season as well but the timing between Romo and Williams should be greater as they have the time to work together. As is they have not had a lot of time together heck Romo is just now getting close to being 100% from the finger injury. However the trade was not soley about this season this was not a 1 year deal

jimmy4713

Reaction score
He could have had Roy in the offseason, and kept his draft picks.
Not true. Millen would not trade him. It was only after he was fired and the Lions were obviously in the tank that Jerruh was able to get RW.

edit: my bad, you meant this coming season......

FCBarca

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more with this bit of reporting...It's far too early to deem this trade a success/failure...He'll need TC to go through before he truly gets into the system and rhythm with Romo.

I would say one thing, however, in the spirit of all this T.O. controversy etc...I'm beginning to question whether Romo really does spread the ball around enough and not fixate on one receiver (Witten :eek: ) or any other...As Madden pointed out on that Pitt INT late in the game, T.O. was wide open on the other side of the field...So, is Romo really going through his reads or does he only factor in 1 or 2 options when he drops back?

BTW, love that the screen is finally being employed more in this offense...It ONLY took a majority of the season before we saw it

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2506116 said:
Love the sig, and I agree completely. The league better watch out.

Thanks,

I see this team rolling in the playoffs. The defense is the reason though, I never thought I'd say that, but this Defense has stepped it's game up big time.

If the offense can get back to what it once was, man this team would be crazy good.

MONT17

Reaction score
lets wait a year??? the trade was made to help this year!!!

Stupid trade... I BLAME the scouting dept that told Jerry not to draft a WR!

there are at least 10 ROOKIE WRs that could have helped this team more than Roy... sad!

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Thats hogwash.

Jerry thought he would make an impact, I doubt any one else did.
Most NFL supposed gurus say it will take a training camp.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
FCBarca;2506139 said:
Couldn't agree more with this bit of reporting...It's far too early to deem this trade a success/failure...He'll need TC to go through before he truly gets into the system and rhythm with Romo.

I would say one thing, however, in the spirit of all this T.O. controversy etc...I'm beginning to question whether Romo really does spread the ball around enough and not fixate on one receiver (Witten :eek: ) or any other...As Madden pointed out on that Pitt INT late in the game, T.O. was wide open on the other side of the field...So, is Romo really going through his reads or does he only factor in 1 or 2 options when he drops back?

BTW, love that the screen is finally being employed more in this offense...It ONLY took a majority of the season before we saw it

Hard to make all reads when you have defenders bearing down on you.

Spectre

Reaction score
Most importantly is wait and see what receivers are available when our 1st round draft position has been determined...
then see if you wouldn't rather have Roy Williams.

Not to mention, this season is far from over.
There's still plenty of time for him be a difference maker in very BIG games THIS year.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with Williams. The problem I have is that it seems our WRs have a harder time getting open than receivers from other teams. Notice that I said, and I emphasize, that it seems that way. I can only see what the TV screen and replays allow me to see, but when I watch other teams with lesser talent, those guys always seem to get open. At first, I thought it was because TO was drawing a lot of attention. But now that Roy is here, it still doesn't seem to make a difference. I would love to see an improvement in that area somehow.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
jdub2k4;2506158 said:
I don't have a problem with Williams. The problem I have is that it seems our WRs have a harder time getting open than receivers from other teams. Notice that I said, and I emphasize, that it seems that way. I can only see what the TV screen and replays allow me to see, but when I watch other teams with lesser talent, those guys always seem to get open. At first, I thought it was because TO was drawing a lot of attention. But now that Roy is here, it still doesn't seem to make a difference. I would love to see an improvement in that area somehow.

I think it's because Romo doesn't throw to Williams but once or twice a game, so who would consider Roy a threat? I think teams are still doubling TO until Roy and Romo start to hook up.

I think if Romo/Garrett focused on getting the ball to Williams on a regular basis, teams would start to balance who they double between TO and Williams.

FCBarca

Reaction score
jdub2k4;2506158 said:

And just like a news story that only reports one side of an issue, hard to draw a credible conclusion without the other half of the story...I go by what analysts are saying and there seems to be some credible evidence that it isn't simply a matter of receivers 'not getting open'...I'm beginning to wonder more and more about how much of this is Romo

BlueStar II

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2506102 said:
I agree. I think a fair assesment will be when Romo and Williams have a chance to have the mini camps and training camps.

:starspin I feel the same way. That is when we should see more of a contribution from Williams, once he has gone through the mini camps and training camp as well.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MONT17;2506144 said:
lets wait a year??? the trade was made to help this year!!!

Stupid trade... I BLAME the scouting dept that told Jerry not to draft a WR!

there are at least 10 ROOKIE WRs that could have helped this team more than Roy... sad!

Just curious: who would you not have drafted in order to take a WR?