DMN Blog: Wait at least a year to judge the Roy Williams trade

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I don't know if it's too much video games or fantasy football or Sportscenter highlights, but fans ridiculously overvalue the WR position. At the end of the day offenses are built on OL and QB play, and there are only so many balls to go around. Typically, unless an offense just completely abandons a running game, only two receivers are going to put up big numbers ... in our case they're TO and Witten. For the Patriots last year it was Welker and Moss, and everyone else got scraps from the table. You add another high profile WR to the mix with a WR who demands nothing less than 120 targets a season with one of the Top 2-3 TEs in the game, along with a commitment to a power running game that requires giving the RBs 30-40 touches a game in verious ways, and when hardly anything changes fans sit around slackjawed and dumbfounded wondering why. I would gladly go back into the time machine and use those draft picks on some offensive linemen instead. At least it prevents everyone from finger pointing and blaming everything that goes wrong on Patrick Crayton.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2506102 said:
I agree. I think a fair assesment will be when Romo and Williams have a chance to have the mini camps and training camps.

Romo is one lucky Son of a gun.... he has a GREAT WR in Owens.... and soon he will have GREAT chemistry with ANOTHER Great WR in RW.

I dont need to wait a year to judge the trade. RW is not an unknown... RW will put up GREAT numbers in the years to come. I know that NOW.

willia451

Reaction score
As long as we have TO, Witten, PC, Austin etc, I have no problem waiting for RW to show his stuff. He was always for replacing TO anyway. The fact we got him this year, while the season was still going on, was just an added bonus in my mind.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
willia451;2506233 said:
As long as we have TO, Witten, PC, Austin etc, I have no problem waiting for RW to show his stuff. He was always for replacing TO anyway. The fact we got him this year, while the season was still going on, was just an added bonus in my mind.

Says who?

Jerry has wanted him for years AND signed Owens to 3 year extension... so that logic doesnt apply.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
willia451;2506233 said:

Are you saying JJ wanted to replace owens? If you are what brings you to that conclusion, this should be interesting.

2much2soon

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2506242 said:
Are you saying JJ wanted to replace owens? If you are what brings you to that conclusion, this should be interesting.

I'd say for all the things JJ is, he is pragmatic when he needs to be.
He may love what TO can bring to the team, but he is also smart enough to know he may have to cut bait with him at anytime.
I don't think he wants to replace TO; he just understands he may have to replace him at some point in the next year or two if TO starts tearing the team apart for real.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2506145 said:
Jerry thought he would make an impact, I doubt any one else did.
Most NFL supposed gurus say it will take a training camp.

I thought he would make an impact.

Then again, he is battling a foot injury, so...

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
2much2soon;2506296 said:
He may love what TO can bring to the team, but he is also smart enough to know he may have to cut bait with him at anytime.
I don't think he wants to replace TO; he just understands he may have to replace him at some point in the next year or two if TO starts tearing the team apart for real.

Jerry will not cut ties with TO. Jerry wants to see the TO deal run its full course.

He never wanted to replace TO with RW... he wanted them on the field at the same time. I have no doubt.

In Jerry's mind... TO is more right than wrong (about things).

willia451

Reaction score
2much2soon;2506296 said:
All I'm saying is, as TO drops off, RW steps up. That's all. Not trashing TO. But he WILL retire one day. Sooner, rather than later given his advancing years.

And, getting RW, gives us what we need, when that happens.

Go Cowboys!!

2much2soon

Reaction score
YoMick;2506353 said:
Jerry will not cut ties with TO. Jerry wants to see the TO deal run its full course.

He never wanted to replace TO with RW... he wanted them on the field at the same time. I have no doubt.

In Jerry's mind... TO is more right than wrong (about things).

I am keeping my mind open to the possibility that TO can do something that will force JJ's hand.
I don't consider it out of the realm of possibility that TO burns down Garrett, or Wade, or Romo, or Witten sometime before his contract is up and leaves JJ with no other choice.

We'd all like to believe he has grown up but I am reserving judgement on that until he has retired from the Cowboys with no major incidents.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
When Tim McMahon gets it over some fans of the team it is kind of sad.

Sitting Bull

Reaction score
RW11 is new, injured and probably more than a little shell-shocked since joining the travelling circus. Everytime T.O. opens his mouth, I add another star to the end of this trade. Don't get me wrong, I want T.O. to be a great player and teammate and lead us to the Super Bowl. But I'm thankful we have what SF and Philly didn't- the best insurance policy money can buy...

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Hostile;2506448 said:
When Tim McMahon gets it over some fans of the team it is kind of sad.

I completely understand waiting a year to see how he contributes...I understand that.

But we could have had him in the offseason. The Lions are rebuilding, and were not going to pay franchise money to two WR's. We could have had him in the offseason.

I believe Jerry made the trade to help us get a Super Bowl this year. I believe we should wait a year to see if he starts making plays, but IMO the trade was made for this year, and then we locked up a good WR for 6 more years as a bonus.

Westcoasthabsfan

Reaction score
Sitting Bull;2506521 said:
Don't get me wrong, I want T.O. to be a great player and teammate and lead us to the Super Bowl. But I'm thankful we have what SF and Philly didn't- the best insurance policy money can buy...

You want TO to be a great player? Sorry to inform you but he already is

JordanTaber

Benched
Reaction score
The Cowboys gave up a ton for a guy who was going to be a UFA (and there's no way the Lions were going to franchise him--they were extremely disappointed with his play and with Calvin Johnson coming on, they'd much rather allocate the money to other positions)...it was a "win now" move all the way.

The foot injury could be bothering him more than we think, however. He WAS making a big impact (despite what the numbers say) once Romo was healthy. It's only the last two weeks that he's become invisible.

Sitting Bull

Reaction score
Westcoasthabsfan;2506538 said:
You want TO to be a great player? Sorry to inform you but he already is

I'm aware of his accomplishments. I meant I'm not rooting for him to fail, simply glad we also have our future #1 on the roster.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Keep on making excuses for Mr. Overrated.

It'll be interesting to see what he does next year when he runs out of excuses. I'll be happy if he does well but I'm expecting more of the same - all-word potential, pedestrian production. What reason does he have to develop good practice habits now that he has his $45M?

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Eskimo;2506560 said:
Keep on making excuses for Mr. Overrated.

It'll be interesting to see what he does next year when he runs out of excuses. I'll be happy if he does well but I'm expecting more of the same - all-word potential, pedestrian production. What reason does he have to develop good practice habits now that he has his $45M?

I think even the biggest TO haters should be smart enough not to question the mans practice habits. The man is a workout warrior who busts his butt at practice.

He may have a case of the dropsies and an ego problem, but his practice habits? Laughable.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2506531 said:
I completely understand waiting a year to see how he contributes...I understand that.

But we could have had him in the offseason. The Lions are rebuilding, and were not going to pay franchise money to two WR's. We could have had him in the offseason.

I believe Jerry made the trade to help us get a Super Bowl this year. I believe we should wait a year to see if he starts making plays, but IMO the trade was made for this year, and then we locked up a good WR for 6 more years as a bonus.
I just disagree with that. Ours was the highest bid, not the only bid.