DMN Blog: Wait at least a year to judge the Roy Williams trade

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
MONT17;2506144 said:
lets wait a year??? the trade was made to help this year!!!

Stupid trade... I BLAME the scouting dept that told Jerry not to draft a WR!

there are at least 10 ROOKIE WRs that could have helped this team more than Roy... sad!

Where's the 10 rookies at? Because they sure as hell aren't lighting the league up this year. Jenkins and Felix were the right picks to make. We needed corners. Not receivers. And we still don't need receivers. Besides, Roy isn't dropping balls. He's not even getting footballs thrown his way. What a rookie would've come in and demanded the ball? I bet.

Randy White

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2506115 said:
Thats hogwash.

Why should we wait a year to judge it, when he was made for immediate dividends. He could have had Roy in the offseason, and kept his draft picks.

Really ? You think Detroit would have let him just walked away without receiving anything in return ?

:starspin

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
Sitting Bull;2506521 said:
RW11 is new, injured and probably more than a little shell-shocked since joining the travelling circus. Everytime T.O. opens his mouth, I add another star to the end of this trade. Don't get me wrong, I want T.O. to be a great player and teammate and lead us to the Super Bowl. But I'm thankful we have what SF and Philly didn't- the best insurance policy money can buy...

you are such a confused and sad old ****.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Randy White;2506608 said:
Really ? You think Detroit would have let him just walked away without receiving anything in return ?

He has 414 yards receiving in 13 games played this year - do you really think Detroit would franchise him with that dwindling level of production? The only reason they would is if they truly knew how desperate Jerry was to bring him to Dallas - the production just does not justify it.

He is probably the most overrated player in the league as far as I can tell. Yes he looks good making catches the odd time he is actually open, but that is not very often.

I don't know how much the foot is bothering him, but I have never been overly impressed with this player and wish we had the money and picks back.

At the end of the day, you have to produce in this league. He has had 5 years in the league and produced exactly 1 1000-yard season. Many pedestrian receivers have accomplished as much.

Randy White

Reaction score
are missing the big picture.

Roy Williams, even though he's already made a big impact anyways, was brought in for the long run, not just the short run. Alot of fans, and media people, are obtused when it comes to this things. They don't see what's in front of their face.

RW has been able to open up the offense. RW has giving the Cowboys an insurance policy that they didn't have before he got here. If you think that's silly, take a look at what happened last year when T.O. went down. There are very few teams who can claim they won't miss much of a beat if their #1 receiver goes down. The Dallas Cowboys are one of them. That's the immidiate impact. That's what alot of the critics fail to see. They think that immidiate impact means 1,000 yards and 10 TDs. No, the Cowboys already have one of those types of receiver ( heck, some might say 2 if Witten enters the argument ), and in order to have TWO of them, they would had have to change their offensive philosophy, basically becoming a run-n-shoot offense. That wasn't going to, nor will it ever, happen.

The big picture is that, unless something unfortunate happens ( like a career ending injury ), the Cowboys don't have to look at the WR position in the early part of the draft for the next several years. Same thing for the QB position. People understimate how valuable that is. They have a #1 receiver who they can count on until, roughly, 2015 and beyond. Think about that for a minute. How long did it take this franchise to replace Michael Irvin ? Well, now they have.

I've said this 1000 times and I'll say it 1000 more: this move was brilliant. It was forward thinking in that Jerrah basically paid 50 cents on the dollar to acquire an asset like RW. Had RW made it to the off season on the market, the price the Cowboys paid for him would have been THE starting point.

So just sit back and enjoy the fact that your team has not one, but TWO stud receivers for the short and long term.

Oh, and more thing:

As of right now, the Cowboys have a 9-5 record, tied with 7 other teams with the same record. That means that had they kept the #1 pick, THE best case scenario ( meaning all those 7 teams finish with a better record than Dallas ) would have been the 20th pick of the draft.

Any draft gurus in here would like to tell me which receiver that's in Roy Williams level is going to available ( in next year's draft ) withint 5 picks of the 20th selection, much less last all the way to #20 ?

Randy White

Reaction score
Eskimo;2506618 said:
He has 414 yards receiving in 13 games played this year - do you really think Detroit would franchise him with that dwindling level of production?

Absolutely, without ANY questions. Teams don't put much stock on numbers, especially when it comes from franchises like the Lions, when they evaluate talent and the Lions would have never let him walk away without getting anything in return.

The only reason they would is if they truly knew how desperate Jerry was to bring him to Dallas - the production just does not justify it.

Not only the Cowboys, but several other teams ( like the Eagles, Giants, Titans, and Baltimore ) would have been interested in him as well, driving up the price.

He is probably the most overrated player in the league as far as I can tell. Yes he looks good making catches the odd time he is actually open, but that is not very often.

How many times since he's been in Dallas, have the Cowboys made an effort to make him the focus of the offense, like they have with T.O. ?

You're making a judgement on a WR who's been targeted exactly 66 times in the entire year, an average of a little over 4 ATTEMPTS per game, ( and most of them coming with the Lions )

I don't know how much the foot is bothering him, but I have never been overly impressed with this player and wish we had the money and picks back.

Ok, and who are you going to pick with that #1 draft choice or sign with that money that's better than RW ?

At the end of the day, you have to produce in this league. He has had 5 years in the league and produced exactly 1 1000-yard season. Many pedestrian receivers have accomplished as much.

You do undertand that he's played those 5 years in Detroit, right ? And you also understand that in those 5 years, when the team actually had it's best QB of that time frame, Roy Williams had his best season, right ?

Randy White

Reaction score
I completely understand waiting a year to see how he contributes...I understand that.

But we could have had him in the offseason. The Lions are rebuilding, and were not going to pay franchise money to two WR's. We could have had him in the offseason.

You're wrong about that. They would have franchised him and traded him without paying him one cent.