DMN Blog: What an awful offensive line performance

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
12:24 PM Tue, Oct 14, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

It's easy to point the finger at special teams when a loss begins and ends by giving up a touchdown in the kicking game. But an offensive line that has earned an excellent reputation deserves a lion's share of blame for the loss to the Cardinals, too.

It was even worse than I thought after watching the game again.

This game reminded me of the second half of last season's playoff loss to the Giants. The Cardinals' front four gave the Cowboys big, tough offensive line fits with their quickness. DT Darnell Dockett, like the Giants' Justin Tuck, consistently got pressure on Tony Romo up the middle. Travis LaBoy, Chike Okeafor and Bertrand Berry looked like Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora coming off the edge, especially when working against LT Flozell Adams.

It's not like the Cardinals threw a bunch of exotic blitz packages at the Cowboys, either. They did the bulk of their damage with four-man rushes, although they did bring five on the sack on which Romo broke his finger, getting Okeafor matched up with FB Deon "Cricket" Anderson.

If you're wondering why the Cowboys weren't able to exploit a vulnerable secondary with the vertical passing game, don't just point the finger at the quarterback, receivers and offensive coordinator. Look at the line, too. Two examples: 1) T.O. got matched up with a linebacker on a seam route on the second possession, but Dockett beat Andre Gurode (bothered by his ankle?) for a sack; 2) Romo missed a wide-open Miles Austin on a post route in the end zone on the final possession of the first half because Antonio Smith spun off Cory Procter to hit Romo as he released the ball.

The run blocking was bad, too, which is why Marion Barber averaged 2.6 yards per carry and was stuffed for 2 yards or less on 10 of 17 attempts.

That started on the first play from scrimmage, when Leonard "Bigg" Davis missed his block. The worst example was when Barber got tackled in the backfield on the Cowboys' three-and-out possession early in the fourth quarter, a play that included missed blocks by Colombo, Davis and Gurode.

That play pretty much summed up what was a terrible total group effort by a line that's considered one of the league's best.

juck

Reaction score
This line has sucked for 3 games now.Kosier and the continuity is missed along with Dre and Flo being hurt.And still with all this we put up a lot of points and Romo had a good stat line.If they get it together which they will look out.

cwbyfn1957

Reaction score
That started on the first play from scrimmage, when Leonard "Bigg" Davis missed his block. The worst example was when Barber got tackled in the backfield on the Cowboys' three-and-out possession early in the fourth quarter, a play that included missed blocks by Colombo, Davis and Gurode.
Isn't Davis also being blamed for the Punt Block in O/T?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2338239 said:
12:24 PM Tue, Oct 14, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

It's easy to point the finger at special teams when a loss begins and ends by giving up a touchdown in the kicking game. But an offensive line that has earned an excellent reputation deserves a lion's share of blame for the loss to the Cardinals, too.

It was even worse than I thought after watching the game again.

This game reminded me of the second half of last season's playoff loss to the Giants. The Cardinals' front four gave the Cowboys big, tough offensive line fits with their quickness. DT Darnell Dockett, like the Giants' Justin Tuck, consistently got pressure on Tony Romo up the middle. Travis LaBoy, Chike Okeafor and Bertrand Berry looked like Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora coming off the edge, especially when working against LT Flozell Adams.

It's not like the Cardinals threw a bunch of exotic blitz packages at the Cowboys, either. They did the bulk of their damage with four-man rushes, although they did bring five on the sack on which Romo broke his finger, getting Okeafor matched up with FB Deon "Cricket" Anderson.

If you're wondering why the Cowboys weren't able to exploit a vulnerable secondary with the vertical passing game, don't just point the finger at the quarterback, receivers and offensive coordinator. Look at the line, too. Two examples: 1) T.O. got matched up with a linebacker on a seam route on the second possession, but Dockett beat Andre Gurode (bothered by his ankle?) for a sack; 2) Romo missed a wide-open Miles Austin on a post route in the end zone on the final possession of the first half because Antonio Smith spun off Cory Procter to hit Romo as he released the ball.

The run blocking was bad, too, which is why Marion Barber averaged 2.6 yards per carry and was stuffed for 2 yards or less on 10 of 17 attempts.

That play pretty much summed up what was a terrible total group effort by a line that's considered one of the league's best.

It was also a perfect storm.

We walked into a bad match-up with a very well coached unit.

The truth is somewhere in between. We had a bad game, but the Cardinals' talent (quicker, smaller and very aggressive players) matched up with our bigger linemen who also are dealing with a communication issue with Kosier out and an injury to Adams.

I have seen this line look outstanding at times this year so I will not hold a tough match-up against them.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
juckie;2338249 said:
This line has sucked for 3 games now.Kosier and the continuity is missed along with Dre and Flo being hurt.And still with all this we put up a lot of points and Romo had a good stat line.If they get it together which they will look out.

LOL

your the guy that told me that Kosier sucked and that Holland would not only beat out procter but kosier as well and kosier would never start again.

Now he is what we are missing. You cant have it both ways.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
I think it was Tony Curtis that messed up on the blocked punt, but I could be wrong.

juck

Reaction score
theebs;2338298 said:
LOL

your the guy that told me that Kosier sucked and that Holland would not only beat out procter but kosier as well and kosier would never start again.

Now he is what we are missing. You cant have it both ways.

Time has changed my mind.I read good things about Holland.Kosier is sorely missed.Sorry if upset u:cool::cool: :lmao:

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander;2338293 said:
It was also a perfect storm.

We walked into a bad match-up with a very well coached unit.

The truth is somewhere in between. We had a bad game, but the Cardinals' talent (quicker, smaller and very aggressive players) matched up with our bigger linemen who also are dealing with a communication issue with Kosier out and an injury to Adams.

I have seen this line look outstanding at times this year so I will not hold a tough match-up against them.

Except that this was the third week in a row that the o-line has been outmatched, outhustled, smacked in the mouth, etc.

sbark

Reaction score
Aikman flashed up on the screen......Romo Knocked down 19 times i think, and that was before the OT.....

19........Garrett....maybe gotta keep a TE in?.....mix in some Max protect

Garrett......Wade .....adjust:bang2: