DMN Blog: What to do with Miles Austin?

UDcowboysfan

Reaction score
I agree he has come along nicely and he will most likely be a cowboy for a few more years, plus he's got a great smile to boot!

khiladi

Reaction score
1. Miles Austin has the confidence of Romo, per the QBs oown words. He speaks nothing but praise for him. This surely must influence Jerry Jones in what is to be done.2. Miles Austin needs more playing time, before the decision is ultimately made. I think the Commanders game has given him the oppurtunity to really step forward.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;2429704 said:
I'd say give him a first-round tender. The difference is only $700k, but it makes a huge difference in terms of teams trying to poach him. I think quite a few teams would be interested in giving up a 2nd for him. He's as physically gifted as any receiver that's going to be in this draft and by the looks of it, he's developed into at least a #2 caliber receiver.

This sounds good to me. Then if he does leave, we get our 1st round pick back.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
khiladi;2429792 said:
1. Miles Austin has the confidence of Romo, per the QBs oown words. He speaks nothing but praise for him. This surely must influence Jerry Jones in what is to be done.2. Miles Austin needs more playing time, before the decision is ultimately made. I think the Commanders game has given him the oppurtunity to really step forward.

Even though the shove pass was a Romo improvisation, that 3rd down conversion on Sunday night was huge... I hope Austin heals up and gets back in time to help with a playoff run.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
khiladi;2429792 said:
Miles needs to wear a shirt with that Romo quote on it to the negotiations.

arync

Reaction score
Sam Hurd is in the same boat as Austin. What do we do with him? With Roy Williams and Crayton already signed, its seems like Stanback will be the odd man out.

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
UDcowboysfan;2429790 said:
I agree he has come along nicely and he will most likely be a cowboy for a few more years, plus he's got a great smile to boot!

the smile is seriously annoying.

grinning from ear to ear like a chessy cat the entire game basically

this isn't little league and those defenses want to kill you. stop being so nice

Eskimo

Reaction score
xWraithx;2429820 said:

this isn't little league and those defenses want to kill you. stop being so nice

I like it - the man loves the game and it shows.

Eskimo

Reaction score
arync;2429816 said:
Sam Hurd is in the same boat as Austin. What do we do with him? With Roy Williams and Crayton already signed, its seems like Stanback will be the odd man out.

Who cares about Hurd - he is a #4WR/ST type with little upside. He can get the minimum tender.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
I'd give him a #1 tender. The $600K difference is completely irrelevant to our salary cap.

I'd offer him a nice extension right now. Propose a Crayton-like deal to the kid and they may go for it. That would have to seem like a fortune to a kid who has been making peanuts, by NFL standards.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt;2429704 said:
I'd say give him a first-round tender. The difference is only $700k, but it makes a huge difference in terms of teams trying to poach him. I think quite a few teams would be interested in giving up a 2nd for him. He's as physically gifted as any receiver that's going to be in this draft and by the looks of it, he's developed into at least a #2 caliber receiver.

:hammer:

Either that or I'd just go ahead and sign him "long term" at the end of the season. Could save JJ some money down the road.

Word Mofo

Reaction score
2nd round tender. Are all of you telling me that you wouldn't trade Austin for a 2nd round pick? I'd do it in a heartbeat. He's good, but not 2nd round good.

ddh33

Reaction score
Lock him up. He's already your third receiver, and he looks like the future #2.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Yeah he's kind of grown on me. If we are forced to match some big offer or even if we pay him big money on our own, I think Patrick Crayton is gone. We can't have that much money tied up in 4 receivers.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
xWraithx;2429820 said:

I like that. Hines Ward does it. I think it gets in the defenses head............

Doomsday101

Reaction score
xWraithx;2430167 said:
Miles Austin's smile ruins the game of football. j/k

I'd be smiling all the time making good money playing a game I love. I was not paid one dime in college to play the game and loved every second of it.

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
that's fine.

I've actually talked to Miles Austin a few times personally. I'll let him know how cheesy he looks :)