WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Young WR Report: Isaiah Stanback's a Jerry guy

8:50 PM Fri, Aug 01, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Interesting theory that I heard: Jerry Jones might distance from the decision to spend a 2007 fourth-round pick on Isaiah Stanback, since Jeff Ireland is now working in Miami.

Consider that theory shot down. Jerry gushed about Stanback when I asked about him during the owner/GM's informal chit-chat with reporters following practice.

The 6-2, 208-pound Stanback, who has a T.O.-type physique, walked by while Jerry was talking. Jerry stopped to let Stanback know he was the subject of conversation and congratulate him on a good day of work.

"Look at him," Jerry said, turning his head to address us again. "That's a big guy."

And Jerry believes that Stanback has big potential that will be worth the wait.

Jerry cited Patrick Crayton, who blossomed into a reliable role player in his third season, as a guy who successful made the college QB/pro WR transition. Stanback might be a little behind that timetable, since he basically redshirted last season, when he battled shin splints all training camp and injured his shoulder during the season.

However, Stanback was healthy enough to display his playmaking ability as a scout-team receiver. Jerry's eyes light up when he talks about Stanback's knack for making acrobatic plays downfield.

"He's not making as many of those as he did in the fall, the reason being that they've got him working on what he ought to be working on," Jerry said. "That's routes, separation, that sort of thing.

"What you've got to look forward to with him is, once that becomes second nature, then there's another part of him that we saw in the fall that just absolutely goes out there and makes some of the most phenomenal, athletic plays. He's got the hands. He's got the natural instincts to go up. He's not just straightaway. He's straightaway fast, but he's got that [make-you-miss] stuff to go."

I assure you Jerry is not trying to distance from drafting Stanback. He's still planning to take credit when the guy pans out.

koolaid

Drink Me
Reaction score
i'd like to see stanback make some plays this preseason. These reports of isaiah on WR reverse plays sounds promising

sago1

Reaction score
Jerry certainly isn't separating himself from Stanbach. That tells me that Wade & Jason Garrett are very high on Stanbach oherwise Jerry wouldn't be high on Stanbach. Read within last week or so that Garrett is pushing Stanbach's development along as quickly as he can.

Young WR Report: Isaiah Stanback's a Jerry guy

8:50 PM Fri, Aug 01, 2008 |
Tim MacMahon

Interesting theory that I heard: Jerry Jones might distance from the decision to spend a 2007 fourth-round pick on Isaiah Stanback, since Jeff Ireland is now working in Miami.

Consider that theory shot down. Jerry gushed about Stanback when I asked about him during the owner/GM's informal chit-chat with reporters following practice. The 6-2, 208-pound Stanback, who has a T.O.-type physique, walked by while Jerry was talking. Jerry stopped to let Stanback know he was the subject of conversation and congratulate him on a good day of work. "Look at him," Jerry said, turning his head to address us again. "That's a big guy."

And Jerry believes that Stanback has big potential that will be worth the wait. Jerry cited Patrick Crayton, who blossomed into a reliable role player in his third season, as a guy who successful made the college QB/pro WR transition. Stanback might be a little behind that timetable, since he basically redshirted last season, when he battled shin splints all training camp and injured his shoulder during the season.

However, Stanback was healthy enough to display his playmaking ability as a scout-team receiver. Jerry's eyes light up when he talks about Stanback's knack for making acrobatic plays downfield. "He's not making as many of those as he did in the fall, the reason being that they've got him working on what he ought to be working on," Jerry said. "That's routes, separation, that sort of thing.

"What you've got to look forward to with him is, once that becomes second nature, then there's another part of him that we saw in the fall that just absolutely goes out there and makes some of the most phenomenal, athletic plays. He's got the hands. He's got the natural instincts to go up. He's not just straightaway. He's straightaway fast, but he's got that [make-you-miss] stuff to go."

I assure you Jerry is not trying to distance from drafting Stanback. He's still planning to take credit when the guy pans out.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!If he makes the team we will go 4-12........how dare JJ interfere w/roster decisions....:bang2::bang2::bang2::D

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
Isn't every guy on the roster a Jerry guy? I mean he does have final say.

SkinsSuck09

Reaction score
His size is huge, He will be a T.O. like receiver once he gets his routes and all down. Trust me!

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
The thing that sucks about a guy like this is that he will finally get it when it is time to resign him. All those other years of paying him and keeping him on the roster are a waste.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
SkinsSuck09;2171375 said:
His size is huge, He will be a T.O. like receiver once he gets his routes and all down. Trust me!
:laugh2:

sago1

Reaction score
Actually I do expect Stanback to show enough flashes to get Cowboy fans excited. Next year should be his break out season. Since he signed a 4 year contract & 2009 season would only be his 3rd year, we've still got another year if we want to hold off resigning him until we very sure.

Angus

Reaction score
dmq;2171401 said:
The thing that sucks about a guy like this is that he will finally get it when it is time to resign him. All those other years of paying him and keeping him on the roster are a waste.

You are too pessimistic! Think positively!!

:D

Reaction score
dmq;2171401 said:

What a negative way to look at things! A team has to invest a certain amount of time in most players. Look at OLs, for instance. How many Olinemen start their rookie seasons?...or their 2nd season, for that matter? It usually takes them 2-3 yrs. to really get the pro game down, unless they are 1st rounders, which most aren't.

As far as Stanback, Jerry knew there would be a learning curve when he signed him. He also saw a phenomenal athlete who can & probably will pan out sooner than later. For intents & purposes, this is his rookie year. That said, he was already showing tremendous ability as early as a few months into a new position.
Man, if I had your outlook on life, I would shoot myself. If the guy is all that Jerry thinks he is, there will be NO problem signing him to a long-term deal.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dmq;2171401 said:
You mean like we did Romo?

arglebargle

Reaction score
Cbz40;2171370 said:
OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!If he makes the team we will go 4-12........how dare JJ interfere w/roster decisions....:bang2::bang2::bang2::D

WAIT A MINUTE!! Who replaced Cbz40 with Nors??

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Not necessarily, what the Cowboys need to do, probably Jerry Jones, is get Michael Irvin to come back in and teach him a few more days, maybe even when they go back to dallas have irvin work with stanback at least once a week.

They said on some media writers post, that after irvin taught stanback some, he lit it up in practice.

Now someone needs to get Stanback to work with Hurd too in using the machine that throws the footballs at you. Hurd said he was using those to keep his catching up to snuf, after the cowboys released stanback.

LIke Micheal said, Stanback needs to get a QB, defensive back to work with him after practice and work an hour each day to get some timing down, tutoring etc.

Its like Rayfield Wright said one time, when Harvey Martin was a rookie and his second year, rayfield worked with him after practice an hour a day. Rayfield said it helped him as a player, even though Rayfield was an all pro, and it helped Harvey Martin tune his skills to be a dominanting defensive end.

Thats what is needed. If you read the posts, Stanback is getting open some, and he is being used on reverses, double reverses and a few receiver pass options throwing the football.

Get those things and Stanback will come along. Just look at Crayton, he really didnt start doing things till his 3rd year. I think you will see stanback come on some at the end of the year, thats might be when we need him.

When a player like stanback asks for tutoring from michael irvin from his asst coach jason garrett to set it up, this guy has heart, desire to be good and learn from the best.

so give him time and look out at the end of the year.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
This is like skeet shoot!

Stanback makes this roster.

Numbers game after that!

BlueStar II

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2171435 said:
Not necessarily, what the Cowboys need to do, probably Jerry Jones, is get Michael Irvin to come back in and teach him a few more days, maybe even when they go back to dallas have irvin work with stanback at least once a week.

They said on some media writers post, that after irvin taught stanback some, he lit it up in practice.

Now someone needs to get Stanback to work with Hurd too in using the machine that throws the footballs at you. Hurd said he was using those to keep his catching up to snuf, after the cowboys released stanback.

LIke Micheal said, Stanback needs to get a QB, defensive back to work with him after practice and work an hour each day to get some timing down, tutoring etc.

Its like Rayfield Wright said one time, when Harvey Martin was a rookie and his second year, rayfield worked with him after practice an hour a day. Rayfield said it helped him as a player, even though Rayfield was an all pro, and it helped Harvey Martin tune his skills to be a dominanting defensive end.

Thats what is needed. If you read the posts, Stanback is getting open some, and he is being used on reverses, double reverses and a few receiver pass options throwing the football.

Get those things and Stanback will come along. Just look at Crayton, he really didnt start doing things till his 3rd year. I think you will see stanback come on some at the end of the year, thats might be when we need him.

When a player like stanback asks for tutoring from michael irvin from his asst coach jason garrett to set it up, this guy has heart, desire to be good and learn from the best.

so give him time and look out at the end of the year.

:starspin I'd really like to see Irvin spend some time with Stanback, it certainly couldn't hurt. Judging by Jones support/gushing for Stanback, it's safe to say Stanback "will" be on the roster no matter what kind of pre-season he has.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;2171417 said:
Man why wasn't this guy playing WR in college if he was such a great athlete?

it's because he's such a great athlete that he's in the NFL now.