News: DMN: Bob Sturm's NFL draft series: Demand for pass rushers greater than supply, but Cowboys...

NewsBot

Reaction score
*** Message was removed by demand from DMN ***

Last edited by a moderator:

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
DE
RONALD BLAIR
APPALACHIAN ST. SUN BELT
2555251.jpg

5.15 SEC
32 REPS

• Top Performer
  • 30.0 INCH
  • 113.0 INCH
  • 7.95 SEC
  • 4.53 SEC

• 6'2"HEIGHT
  • 34"ARM LENGTH
  • 284LBS.WEIGHT
  • 10 1/4"HANDS
OVERVIEW
Blair was a second-team all-state pick in Georgia, but ended up at App. State instead of the SEC -– to the chagrin of the Mountaineers’ opponents. In his first three full years on the field (he missed most of 2013 with a thumb injury), he’s been an all-conference pick (two years in the FCS-level Southern Conference, 2014 in the Sun Belt) racking up 33 tackles for loss and 12.5 sacks. Blair finished his career by winning the Sun Belt Conference’s Defensive Player of the Year (70 tackles, 19 tackles for loss, 7.5 sacks), lining up outside and inside to take advantage of presented mismatches.

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Flashes some polish in his game. Comes out of track stance and fires into blockers with knee bend and good pad level. Uses leverage and tremendous power at the point of attack to rock offensive linemen who let their pads get too high. Able to set a strong edge. Attacks and stresses the seam of double team blocks with power in his legs. His coaches rave about his leadership and work in the film room. Good lateral quickness with his feet and is very effective as a pass rusher in twists up front. Accelerates down the line to squeeze cutback lanes against the run. Bodies up and drives his legs through his tackles making sure running backs feel it. Has effective arm-over as his go-to move. Good length with big hands for his size. Can generate a quality bull rush.
WEAKNESSES
Shorter than teams would like at the defensive end spot. Lacks the overall agility and athleticism to play standing up. Carries some bad weight around the midsection. Could improve his overall conditioning. Very little edge presence as a pass rusher. Unlikely to become a one-on-one winner as a pass rusher on the next level. Despite playing with knee bend out of snap, allows his pads level to get too high at times and can be knocked off balance as pass rusher.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
As some have pointed out there are players who will be there outside R1.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Noah Spence intrigues me. Not as a 1st round pick but as a 2nd rounder........I know people will be afraid of him because of Gregory but you talk about youth at the pass rushing position with him and Gregory.........yikes.

JPostSam

Reaction score
Bosa is a legitimate game wrecker at just 20 years old.

This is one of those things that demands more attention. Critics have somehow turned the fact that Bosa dominated in the Big 10 as a true freshman into a negative, as if he has already maxxed out his full potential. There is no way that a 20-year-old has already maxxed out his full potential.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Blair's combine numbers are so pedestrian ,i think he is 5th Rd candidate.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does this put a little more light on Bosa, as to make some fans not be against him?

I think the non Bosa fans are saying they don't have a good feel, based entirely on their personal feelings....LOL...

I am not one to push for Bosa, but I would not complain either.

fishspill

Reaction score
Bosa is simply one of those players people run hot or cold on. I think he's got a chance to be great. He'll be the only one to ruin it.

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
Bosa is simply one of those players people run hot or cold on. I think he's got a chance to be great. He'll be the only one to ruin it.

Unless he simply doesn't have the talent...just saying.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
8. Shilique Calhoun Michigan State 6-4 251 4.82 Seems strictly a 3-4 OLB, but a great rusher
When are people going to realize that is exactly the type Marinelli is looking for at RE?

Cowboy06

Reaction score
Yes, that applies to any drafted player.

well if you are going to use logic this conversation will go nowhere fast. I just don't see Bosa being that good. If they draft him, I hope I'm wrong.

fishspill

Reaction score
well if you are going to use logic this conversation will go nowhere fast. I just don't see Bosa being that good. If they draft him, I hope I'm wrong.

I disagree. I'm more on Sturm's side when it comes to him. I think he tends to get a bad rap around these parts, mostly undeserved. I only worry about his partying.

EDIT: I should add I worry about just about every draft pick's partying. We don't know these guys personally. It's just more worrisome when it's been a known issue.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
I believe Bosa without a doubt will be very good playing all over the line, the question is will he be great.

Can he be Jared Allen?

It's a projection I know, but if I am drafting him @ 4 that is what I want from him.

Cowboy06

Reaction score
I believe Bosa without a doubt will be very good playing all over the line, the question is will he be great.

Can he be Jared Allen?

It's a projection I know, but if I am drafting him @ 4 that is what I want from him.

Why Jared Allen? Is his game that similar?

Swagnutboyz

Reaction score
Kevin Dodd, made the best of his opportunity when starting, got better as the season went on, yes I know he played opposite of Shaq, but who was the one that was unblockable in the bowl game.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
Why Jared Allen? Is his game that similar?

I think his floor is Ryan Kerrigan and his upside is Allen, one I would take at 4 and one I would not.

The quandary is which is he?

COMPARES TO: Jared Allen, DE, Panthers - The popular comparison for Bosa will be J.J. Watt, but Allen makes more sense because of their strengths on the football field. And not the current, over-the-hill version of Allen, but the double-digit sack artist and five-time Pro Bowler that played in Kansas City and Minnesota.

Dane Brugler

Cowboy06

Reaction score
I think his floor is Ryan Kerrigan and his upside is Allen, one I would take at 4 and one I would not.

The quandary is which is he?

COMPARES TO: Jared Allen, DE, Panthers - The popular comparison for Bosa will be J.J. Watt, but Allen makes more sense because of their strengths on the football field. And not the current, over-the-hill version of Allen, but the double-digit sack artist and five-time Pro Bowler that played in Kansas City and Minnesota.

Dane Brugler

I see. I wonder if he's like a Harvey Martin, Dexter Manley, Bruce Smith or Randy White...If you just look at the numbers who is really like...exclude those you have mentioned for what I could say are obvious attributes.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People are concerned too much over what Bosa's sack totals might be. Many think 6 to 10. But can't say why they think that. Truth is, they are just looking for reasons to not want to draft him.
No one knows what the sacks are. Ware got what, 6 his rookie season.

Does he make plays in run and pass defense, yes. So he is not a situational player.
Does he fit our scheme, well, I can't answer that, but I am sure there are a wide range of opinions out there.
And those opinions are biased as well as thought out analysis.

Right now if you told me Bosa would average 10 sacks a season, I would take that, and hope those sacks come at the right time, for game changing plays.

Give me a consistent player for 12 years, which is what he can be, I'll take that.